Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any point to quotes?

Options
  • 13-08-2005 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Is this legal?

A car breaks down and is taken to a car dealer in Urlingford. A price was quoted with different scenarios given, the person who was originally asked did not know how much it would cost but found out from someone else. Although the price quoted was quite high it was accepted. It was agreed that if the price rose above the estimate the owner of the car would be contacted.

Two weeks later the owner received a phone call, the car was repaired but the cost was double that of the top price given. The car dealer did not care about this and actually compared it to a builder giving an estimate on doing work on a house “if a builder gives a quote of between €40.000 - €60.000 and the cost is €70.000 the person having the work done must pay the €70.000 as it is only fair”

Can this happen, is it right?
    The car dealer seems to think so.
    Can anything be done, or just another case of rip off Ireland?

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

A quote should be an almost 'solid' price, so-to-speak.
    As opposed to an 'estimate' which can fluctuate as the problem is investigated and/or more parts are needed, etc.

Most decent garages/mechanics will phone a customer if the price is going to rise above what is agreed.
    Sounds to me like this guy is a bit of a chancer.

My 2c.

Silvera.
    (Ex-Panel Beater).

P.S. - Welcome to the forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Thanks for reply, this is one heck of a forum soooo much on it.

Is there anyway to get compensation. All I couldo wasmake his blood boil but it insnt over, I want this git to suffer for his attitude. He regrests the day I went into his rover dealership (his words) You will mater (my words) rip off merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Well now that they no longer look set to make any money from new car sales they have to find some other way to make money. Unfortunately by ripping you off. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can you prove that they said it would be the original price? Did you recieve it in writing?
    No? Then you have no comeback!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Is this legal?

A car breaks down and is taken to a car dealer in Urlingford. A price was quoted with different scenarios given, the person who was originally asked did not know how much it would cost but found out from someone else. Although the price quoted was quite high it was accepted. It was agreed that if the price rose above the estimate the owner of the car would be contacted.

Two weeks later the owner received a phone call, the car was repaired but the cost was double that of the top price given. The car dealer did not care about this and actually compared it to a builder giving an estimate on doing work on a house “if a builder gives a quote of between €40.000 - €60.000 and the cost is €70.000 the person having the work done must pay the €70.000 as it is only fair”

Can this happen, is it right?
    The car dealer seems to think so.
    Can anything be done, or just another case of rip off Ireland?

T

he can raise the price , but not without checking with you before the work is done... othwise you have a contract at the lower price...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

jhegarty wrote:
    he can raise the price , but not without checking with you before the work is done... othwise you have a contract at the lower price...
    ... a verbal contract!
    :rolleyes:

They can't quote until they know exactly what needs to be done.
    Any price they give you before the work is done is an estimate.

They charge labour by the hour - so a seized nut can cost you €60.
    This is legal.

On the other hand, if the cowboy tells you it took 5 hours to do the job, how do you prove otherwise ?

The answer is - find a mechanic you can trust.

Advertisement