Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some info on nights out in Belfast

• 13-08-2005 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm thinking of hitting Belfast for a weekend.
    CIE do a good rail break offer.

So has any one any recommendations on where to go and what to do?

Thanks,
    Eóin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 poi_chick

What kinda music are you into? Theres lot of great stuff happening but some of it is a bit harder to dig out than others. I am a fan of places like Kellys Cellar, Maddens and of course Auntie Annies. The pothouse and Garrick are also worth considering but the tunes wouldn't be up my street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Adviser

The Limelight isn't bad for rock e.t.c..

For RnB ya have the Beach Club, Milk, M Club, Thompsons

For Dance, Shine, Thompsons (depends on the nite)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Adviser wrote:
    The Limelight isn't bad for rock e.t.c..

eoin - if your a rocker... ^ the limelight is the place to go.

but you cant go wrong going to the the odyssey

go and see the belfast giants then head to the bar/night club in the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Oh, Half my problem is that I going to belfast with some one who is in to Dance / Trance type music, realy likes DJ's who mix on stage and clubs that have a dance floor.

Myself I like everything so i'm not that hard to sort out.

I will be staying in Jurys Inn and will be getting the train up to Central Station.
    Will be in Belfast for Friday the 9 and gettingt he train home on Sunday.

Checked out the Giants but they play on Friday at 7pm so I don't want to tie myself to a time on friday.

Thanks for the info lads.

See ya,
    Eóin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 poi_chick

Thompsons Garage and the Garrick are spitting distance from Jurys ! Garrick usually has lots of the DJ stuff happening. Friends rave about it but I haven't made it that far myself

Thanks for all the info lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 irishghost

eoinm1 wrote:
    Thanks for all the info lads.
    Help Burn Belfast while your Rockin the night away

Hi Everyone

It was last weekend that i went up but I have not had the chance to surf the net since.

Ok this was my Belfast trip.

Friday
    Arrived in Central station at about 7:55.
    Walked to Jurys Inn next to the Opera House and checked in for about 8:10.
    Quick shower and shave then we wandered up the town to find food.
    Went to The Northern Whig for food. Was not too impressed with the food but it was about 9:15 by the time we went in.

Next we went to The Garrick Bar and we only saw the front bar.
    We thought the place was dead so we left and went to The Basement.
    The Basement had a kinda of Funk / Jazz type band on.

We then tried the Th Grill accross the road from City Hall.
    We had a drink or two there and then went in search of a night club.

I have no idea how we found the place be we finished the night in La Lea on Franklin Street. It was a great club and we had a good time.

Saturday we got up at about 10 am and had a nice brekfast in the hotel after which we went for walk aroung the city.
    We went to the Albert Clock and on to the walk bridge across the river to the the Odyssey complex. and walked through it.

We then walked back across the city and walked up the falls road to see the Wall Paintings (Yes we were unaware about the trouble that weekend.) having walked up 3 or 4 miles to the Sports / lesure center past the Royal Victoria we turned around to get some sights on the Shankill road.

Having looked at my map Springfield road looked to take us right to the top of the Shankill by turning off to the right and using Lanark Way.

Little did we realise that we were walking into the quite side of a a war zone.
    We could hear the Flutes and Lambeag Drums playing and saw a gathering of locals looking up the road to see what would happen.

The local kids were lobing stones and rocks at the PSNI land rovers.
    A number of men were telling the kids off and sending them home.

We hung aroung for about 40 min and then did an about turn and headed back to the Davis road.

We crossed over to the Shankill road by way of the Millfield road and went up Peter's Hill. From peter's hill we walked up the Shankill road until Boundary Street. At this point I was a bit uneasy and said to my French friend that it was time to return to the City for food.

We had dinner in a small cafe / restaurant on Castle Street on Saturday.
    I can't remember the name but is was some thing like Biscofs.
    Great service and great food. :)

After dinner on Saturday we went for a walk throught he city again and we passed The Garrick and saw that the place had a big back bar area with a dance floor. :o

Any way we continued doen Alfred street untill the Ormeau Avene.
    We went to the Limelight and was a heavy rock band but we were both too tired to stick around for too long se we went back to the hotel and got changed and ready for the night on the town.

We started in The Garrick but the DJ event had been called off due the the trouble in the city during the day.

*Blur*

We wet to a club just off Donegall Sq. Most likley Patterson's Place.
    I can't remember the name of the Club but you had to go upstairs and then down stairs to get to the dance floor.

It was a god club and we had a good time.
    Then back to the hotel and called it a night.

Sunday was again a walk around the city.
    Went to the Botinic Gardens starting at the University gate and left via the Botinac Court gate and on to Agincourt Avenue.
    We followed Stransmills Embankment until the Ormeau road and then headed back to the city. We had Lunch in the Fountain Pub on Fountain Street then went to the train Station and went home.

All in all a great city with a great night life but it's hard to find a good place to eat.

Eóin

Advertisement