Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police chief predicts a united Ireland plagued by gangsters

Options
  • 13-08-2005 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Police chief predicts a united Ireland plagued by gangsters
    Frank Millar, London Editor
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2005/0813/1809342336HM1MAFIA.html

A former Northern Ireland police chief has predicted that a united Ireland will emerge in about 15 years but that "it will be like Sicily" with "self-policing" by Mafia-type organisations.

Colin Cramphorn, who was the last deputy chief constable of the RUC and then acting chief constable of the new Police Service of Northern Ireland, also warned that the Provisional IRA would not "go away" or abandon its "organised criminal activity" following the formal ending of its armed campaign in Northern Ireland.

Mr Cramphorn - now chief constable of West Yorkshire - told the Yorkshire Evening Post: "This is not the end of the IRA, it is the beginning of another era of it . . . Any republican army volunteer or supporter will recognise the language of the latest IRA statement on disarmament.

"The decommissioning order was first issued in the Irish Civil War in 1923. The command was precisely the same: 'Lay down your arms'. But in this latest statement the second half of that original order was omitted. In full it reads 'Lay down your arms to fight another day'."

Now on the front line of Britain's battle with al-Qaeda-inspired terrorism, Mr Cramphorn told journalist Anne Pickles the formal ending of the IRA campaign had been "inevitable" since the 2001 attacks on the US.

"The IRA has been overtaken by world events," he said. "It knew it would be the day the Twin Towers were hit. That was the day the IRA knew the armed campaign was over. After that it became impossible for the IRA to seek and rely on support and sympathy across Europe and in America."

He does not see the present process providing a smooth transition to a "normal" democracy. "I think in about 15 or so years we will see the unification of Ireland. And it will be like Sicily.

"Already conventional crime in Belfast is lower than it is in cities like Leeds, but self-policing by a Mafia-type organisation such as the IRA tells another story - a most unpleasant one," he said.

When asked what became of "out-of-work IRA bombers" Mr Cramphorn offered an analysis which would seem to challenge prime minister Tony Blair's optimistic conduct of the resumed peace process. "A lot of men have invested their whole lives in illegal armed conflict, bomb-making and terror. They're not about to settle for pipe and slippers now," he said.

"Neither is the IRA about to go away . . . This is the most sophisticated, politically strategic organisation I know. It's a global business, it runs like clockwork - and it has pensions to pay to loyal volunteers and operatives who have given long service . . . This is not the end of the IRA, it is the beginning of another era of it.

I dont know about the United Ireland bit but he is dead right about the IRA/SF Mafia that is taking over Belfast and moving down south. I dont think the Gardai or PSNI will be ever able to stop them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Just another good reason to keep two states on this island. Fighting these organised gangs is expensive business. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain hat guys who know nothing but criminality will 'switch-off' like a bunch of robots while Gerry Armani et al takeall the glory, power, money and expensive suits. Not a chance. They'll keep dealing drugs and all the rest of it and SF and the decent people really need to back the PSNI in it's ongoing war on organised crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

murphaph wrote:
    Just another good reason to keep two states on this island. Fighting these organised gangs is expensive business. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain hat guys who know nothing but criminality will 'switch-off' like a bunch of robots while Gerry Armani et al takeall the glory, power, money and expensive suits. Not a chance. They'll keep dealing drugs and all the rest of it and SF and the decent people really need to back the PSNI in it's ongoing war on organised crime.

I totally agree with you Murphaph !! POTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Genni

are yous two for real or have I just stepped into the twilight zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

yes,otherwise known as boards.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

sh!t happens :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Oh look - gerry adams in a ferarri!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Oh look - gerry adams in a ferarri!

For some reason this made me think of this:

gerrypimp.jpg

Genni wrote:
    are yous two for real or have I just stepped into the twilight zone.
    Insightful first post there Genni :rolleyes:
    You're unfamiliar with boards perhaps? The idea is to say why you believe we're wrong and then try by the power of your argument to get us to change position. :cool:

Edit: @Sico-Excellent :D LMAO at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

jubbly wrote:
    I dont know about the United Ireland bit but he is dead right about the IRA/SF Mafia that is taking over Belfast and moving down south. I dont think the Gardai or PSNI will be ever able to stop them.

What's worse, we may get the UDA/DUP drug dealers going south.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

murphaph wrote:
    Insightful first post there Genni :rolleyes:
    You're unfamiliar with boards perhaps? The idea is to say why you believe we're wrong and then try by the power of your argument to get us to change position. :cool:

Has this ever, in fact, happened? I've been arguing on here for upwards of a year, and have yet to become a Republican, a racist, a christian, a homophobe, an 'ex-gay', a Windows user, or any of the other things people want me to be.

• Advertisement

rsynnott wrote:
    Has this ever, in fact, happened?
    Probably not.
    rsynnott wrote:
    I've been arguing on here for upwards of a year, and have yet to become a Republican, a racist, a christian, a homophobe, an 'ex-gay', a Windows user, or any of the other things people want me to be.
    That's cos you're argument is right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I think the north has already turned into a mafia town :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

....Says a former deputy-head of the most discredited police force in Western Europe.
    The decommissioning order was first issued in the Irish Civil War in 1923. The command was precisely the same: 'Lay down your arms'. But in this latest statement the second half of that original order was omitted. In full it reads 'Lay down your arms to fight another day'."

Actually there was no "decommisioning order" after the Civil War, Volunteers were ordered to dump arms for use later. They never engaged in the act of putting arms beyond use, something which the IRA are doing now so Cramphorn really needs to re-evaluate his concept of history.
    Now on the front line of Britain's battle with al-Qaeda-inspired terrorism

Wow. *Opens mouth in speechless awe*. West Yorkshire AKA New Tikrit.
    It knew it would be the day the Twin Towers were hit. That was the day the IRA knew the armed campaign was over.

Even though the Republican Movement had been gravitating toward a political path since 1981.
    And it will be like Sicily.

About bloody time too, I for one wouldn't be complaining about hot weather and cheap drink.
    A lot of men have invested their whole lives in illegal armed conflict, bomb-making and terror. They're not about to settle for pipe and slippers now," he said.

In the real world however, most Volunteers have discovered the benefits of family life and peaceful living as opposed to having your house smashed up every week, being shot, living in fear of your life etc etc etc.

Murphaph,
    They'll keep dealing drugs

The IRA has never engaged in drug-dealing. Never. Out of the thousands of years served in prison by IRA members how many were for drugs murphaph? *Hint* None. Also, I'd love to know where you came to that conclusion considering neither the PSNI nor the Guards alledge the IRA are involved in dealing.

Advertisement