Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems moving out of my shared flat

Options
  • 13-08-2005 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I've been sharing an apartment for 6 months now with a friend of mine and i've been thinking of moving out recently to live in the city centre, but just this week have sort of had the decision made for me, because my company are making my entire department redundant and outsourcing our jobs to a company in Germany.

So...my flatmate is taking my room, and we've advertised here and on daft to find someone to take the other room with only one response. I know the room is pretty expensive but that's the price you pay for living in this area and I don't set the price, our landlord does.

I'm just wondering where I stand legally, as I really *have* to move out at the end of the month back to the parents as I don't want to be eating into my redundancy money paying rent. Has anyone here had this experience, and did your landlord refund you your deposit even though the other person stayed on in the flat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Have you signed a lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Then legally you're liable for the remaining 6 months on the lease. I'd discuss it with the landlord though. Explain your situation and see if there is any compromise possible, otherwise it may be upto you to find someone to take over the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you explain to your landlord that you have lost your job etc. then he'd have to be some **** not to let you out. You'll not get your deposit or whatever back anyway.

Of course if he is some ****, then you have no choice but to find someone to take over, or pay the remaining six months rent.

No, there is a clause in our lease to break it after 6 months but we still have to give one months notice and my flatmate doesn't want to move out so i'm sort of stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Bluehair wrote:
    Then legally you're liable for the remaining 6 months on the lease.

Just as a matter of interest, what could a landlord do about it if you just leave? Can he take you to court? In reality does that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

homeOwner wrote:
    Just as a matter of interest, what could a landlord do about it if you just leave? Can he take you to court? In reality does that happen?
    I think it cost €6 to file a claim in the small courts. If the money is €300 or higher I'd do it. I would also add cost of my time. The landlord has acted honourably so what makes it fair the tenant doesn't need to.
    There is no reason that a landlord take on somebody elses loss. Most will allow tenants out of leases once there is no loss to them which is more than fair.
    People seem to call landlords all sorts of names and then also suggest ways to screw the landlord over. It's amazing how they don't look at their own actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I think it cost €6 to file a claim in the small courts. If the money is €300 or higher I'd do it. I would also add cost of my time. The landlord has acted honourably so what makes it fair the tenant doesn't need to.

But how do you find the person to take them to court if presumably they have left the rented accomodation? What address do you send the court documents to? Or is it simply you just lodge the claim and nothing happens?
    I am asking because I am considing renting out my apartment if I am away next year and I would like to know in case it happens to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

You would of course vet any potential renter, references, employment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

eth0_ wrote:
    I've been sharing an apartment for 6 months now with a friend of mine and i've been thinking of moving out recently to live in the city centre, but just this week have sort of had the decision made for me, because my company are making my entire department redundant and outsourcing our jobs to a company in Germany.

So...my flatmate is taking my room, and we've advertised here and on daft to find someone to take the other room with only one response. I know the room is pretty expensive but that's the price you pay for living in this area and I don't set the price, our landlord does.

I'm just wondering where I stand legally, as I really *have* to move out at the end of the month back to the parents as I don't want to be eating into my redundancy money paying rent. Has anyone here had this experience, and did your landlord refund you your deposit even though the other person stayed on in the flat?

In this situation, personally I would feel it is up to me to find someone to take on the remaining 6 months of the lease.

By any chance is the outsourcing company in germany called BIT in Dresden? Those guys are hoovering up a load of contracts here.... :eek:

• Advertisement

In this situation, personally I would feel it is up to me to find someone to take on the remaining 6 months of the lease.

By any chance is the outsourcing company in germany called BIT in Dresden? Those guys are hoovering up a load of contracts here.... :eek:

Well I was/am full prepared to take on responsibility of finding someone to move in, but seeing as my flatmate is going to take my room I think she should give me a dig out too, like! :)

No it's not BIT, some other company :)

Advertisement