Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SG:1 - 9x05 - 'The Powers That Be' [SPOILERS]

• 13-08-2005 3:00pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Post yer opinions here on the latest offering from our cousins: Stargate: SG-1 - 9x05 - The Powers That Be.

What did you think of Stargate: SG-1 - 9x05 - The Powers That Be? 16 votes

Amazing
    0%
    Good ya. Not saying brilliant - but I'm happy.
    0%
    OK
    68%
    suttyIvanStarkMr EKevokjor elmr_angryixoymobmarkkilpatrickLord Oz 11 votes
    Poor!!
    31%
    NietzscheanPepe LeFritsWintersis_that_soirishshogun 5 votes
    As if "Window of Opportunity" made me loop the events of "Emancipation"
    0%

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

OK
    Initially, I didn't think too much of this episode. It felt a little too like S1's "Cor'ai" where we had a trial for past misdemeanours and we needed a Daniel defence. I really liked the little play though...

But then the Prior showed up and it shifted into higher gear. There was some very valid points made about why such cultures would accept the Ori - many are poor and desolate and the Ori could offer them what they need. It's the fact that they give something back too that makes them interesting. And, as Daniel said, why do they care about people worshipping them? The Goa'uld were egotistical maniacs but the Ori are a lot more emotionless - there must be something and I'm assuming it's tied into the Day of Reckoning and isn't good...

On a downside, we once more had Mitchell's character underused. He barely did anything again - it feels as if the writers don't know what to do with him. Sure this episode should have Daniel in the spotlight but still felt Mitchell should have done more than merely get sick...

Still, in the end, I enjoyed it because the Ori still seem like a good decent threat whose motives aren't clear. Be interesting to see what their flaw is going to be or will it be a case of the other Ancients having to intercede for us..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

This is the first episode of SG1 this season that seemed to be back on track but had a large seen it all before feel for alot of the episode.

Still to much Daniel and Vala but this looks like the last of her as Carter is back next week. Bower again is just a background character and Tealc spoke only a few words and might as well not been in the episode. The scenes with the new general and the chcik from andromeda were a waste of screen time imho as neither of these characters are either interesting or added anything to the series.

The Ori got alot more interesting and thankfully this plot line may lift this season back up in the quality stakes. Saying that my viewing order is still BSG,SGA and then SG1 and I cant seeing this changing anytime soon. I really hope in 19 weeks Im not wishing SG1 ended at season 8!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

OK
    I'm worried about what will happen when Claudia Black leaves the show. Never seen a guest star have so much chemistry with the whole team (well maybe except teal'c). To be honest, I would much rather have her than Amanda Tapping. Sorry Tapping fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

OK
    Hmm, good episode, started a bit dull but the Prior livened things up a bit. As Daniel said, why do the Ori care if people worship them. I'd guess this will get revealed in the mid-season two-parter or perhaps in the finale. I like where it's going though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

OK
    I was impressed with this episode. It was infinitely better than last week's. I thought the dialogue between Daniel and the Prior was very believable, and made perfect sense, so I was pretty happy with that. It still remains to be seen the motives of the Ori and what will happen at "the day of reckoning", but it certainly doesn't sound good so far. If they created the plague that wiped out the Ancients, then its highly unlikely that humanity will be able to find a cure. If such a plague hits Earth, then the only conceivable outcome is that everyone will convert to the worship of the Ori.

Unlike the Ancients, the Ori seem keen for everyone to ascend (assuming the Priors are telling the truth of course). The only pre-requisite would seem to be believing that the Ori are the creators of all life. Unfortunately, we still don't know too much about Origin, although it is referred to frequently. My guess is that the Ori want fanatical belief, so that once the spirit ascends, the being is devoted to their cause. I would also be guessing that their cause is the destruction of the Ancients, and they need a lot more soldiers to do it. A mega-war on a higher plane of existence? That would probably look pretty sweet.

Right now, I think the only thing to mitigate this eventuality is some direct intervention from the Ancients. However, with Oma Desala seemingly out of the picture for the moment, who else will teach humanity the path to ascension? I'm hoping for a return of the Buddhist monk dude from Keb.

Either way, SG:1 has got my full support for this storyline at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

OK
    Kevok wrote:
    Never seen a guest star have so much chemistry with the whole team (well maybe except teal'c).

Yeah, but noone has chemistry with Teal'c :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Poor!!
    Kevok wrote:
    I'm worried about what will happen when Claudia Black leaves the show. Never seen a guest star have so much chemistry with the whole team (well maybe except teal'c). To be honest, I would much rather have her than Amanda Tapping. Sorry Tapping fans.
    Completely disagree. I'm getting pretty sick of Vala now and I look forward to when she leaves. Her character seems incredibly one-dimensional to me and her messing is tiresome. I like the humour in SG1, but with Vala it completely takes control of the scene and is very much in-your-face stuff.

Once things got cracking in the second half of the episode, I enjoyed it a lot more. Still though, I watched a few episodes of older SG1 last night (Absolute Power, Abyss, Prophecy) and for me the bar has dropped. I still enjoy SG1 a lot but it's only when watching older episodes that it becomes clear that it isn't as good as it used to be. Hopefully Sam being back will help, but I think the lack of Jack and the Goa'uld are the issue. The Priors seem to be a good enemy, but I'm not sure how they are going to keep their talk-offs interesting. The focus on religion is getting a bit much for me, that issue was always there but it was more of a side-show to the Goa'uld being power-hungry warmongers with stupid henchmen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

OK
    I think the Ori and Origin religion are the perfect next step to the Go'Auld. I mean, SG-1 went around the place telling everyone how the Go'Auld werent Gods, this took alot of effort on their part, but they were generally successful. Now however, when you are dealing with beings who look and act like God's, even to us, its a whole other ballgame.

I'm still enjoying all these, what I can only call, filler episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Poor!!
    Off topic
    IMHO this is a make or break season. Agree with posts about earlier seasons (excluding Season 8). Personally would rather see it all finish on a high rather than dragging on and on season after season.

Meanwhile found this episode so-so and as for the Ori :rolleyes: Altogether too convenient but we'll see how it pans out .... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK
    I enjoyed this episode. Vala is still hilarious, and I'm going to miss her when she goes. I think this episode was key to portraying the Ori and Priors as badasses not to be f**ked with.... From what I've heard about this season, an important idea from this episode
    (the plague) will be repeated later this season, but closer to home....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Eh, when did the new season start and on what channel? How many episodes in are we?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

OK
    Eh, when did the new season start and on what channel? How many episodes in are we?
    Well we're discussing 9x05 so five in funnily enough :p

What channel? Umm cousins are sending us tapes... yeah... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Oh thank god! I thought I had missed loads. Phew! Don't do that to me.

Advertisement