Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SG:A - 2x05 - 'Condemned' [SPOILERS]

• 13-08-2005 3:01pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What did you think of Stargate: Atlantis - 2x05 - 'Condemned' then?

What did you think of Stargate: Atlantis - 2x05 - Condemned? 16 votes

I felt like I had Ascended
    0%
    Oma Desala - Doing well, but not quite there
    6%
    sutty 1 vote
    Atlantis Ancient - Fairly average denzien
    43%
    NietzscheanPepe LeFritsMr EGerardKeatingKevokixoyis_that_so 7 votes
    Atlantis Ancient Meeting the Wraith - Feeling Crappy
    37%
    VenomWintersjor elmr_angrymobLord Oz 6 votes
    Ancient Meeting the Milky Way Plague - Feeling Like Death
    12%
    Ivanirishshogun 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Enjoyed this. On the downside I felt that the condemned prisoner leader didn't have much personality on screen - I never felt he was a credible threat and could only take him less seriously when McKay mentioned they had been shot down by the "cast of Braveheart". Heh...

McKay was excellent this week and got to throw in a MacGuvyer joke. I wonder who plays MacGuvyer in his world. Sheppard and Ronan were good too although Teyla seemed a bit misplaced.

Weir suited her diplomatic role here and Lorne seems a good enough sidekick.

The actual morality of the culling farms was good and I'm happy McKay snarked about the US capital punishment. Good just ending too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Ok episode in my view. Not as much ummf as the last few but still good. The concept of the penal system while novel seemed totaly out of wack from the Wraith point of view as they do try and keep their food supply's tech level way down so as not to be a threat to them in any way.

Loved the injokes but the planet leader seemed way to creepy right off the bat and kind of gave away the game way before that hand needed to be shown.

I wonder if the inventor will be a new addition to the atlantis crew?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Venom wrote:
    Loved the injokes but the planer leader seemed way to creepy off the bat and kind of gave away the game way before that hand needed to be shown.
    Uh huh and it really didn't help that he had played the leader in SG1's "Demons", in which he sacrificed his people in a pact with the Devil, to save his own skin...

ixoy wrote:
    Uh huh and it really didn't help that he had played the leader in SG1's "Demons", in which he sacrificed his people in a pact with the Devil, to save his own skin...

Didnt notice that lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Yeah. "Type-cast" was a phrase that instantly sprang to mind.

This episode was alright, but I think they used a lot of unnecessary "dum-dum-dum" music when the reality of the situation was pretty obvious. What's more, I thought the plot in general was over-obvious, and really lacked any subtelty whatsoever. I'd single out in particular the moment that the prisoner leader told McKay that he would kill the others if he didn't work on the ship. I found myself thinking 'How did he not see that coming?' and again wondered about the use of the "dum-dum-dum" music. The same goes for the magistrate's expression in the final scene when the Wraith ship arrives. Who'd have thought they might renege on the agreement? :eek:

I thought the most interesting plot twist in the episode was the conversation between the magistrate and the Wraith which nobody seems to have commented on so far. At one point, the Wraith says "Our lineage may have diverged, but I still blah blah blah...", indicating that the Wraith were at one point human, but mutated somehow. Ancient experiment gone wrong? Or maybe it was just down to that giant bug thing that attacked Shepard in season 1?

• Advertisement

Hasnt the lineage of the Wraith been established as ancients who were attacked by those bugs from season 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Did anyone else lose hope in the episode when prisoners shot down a puddlejumper with a few homemade cannons? If it was taking fire why not fly out of the atmosphere?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Or why not just cloak beforehand, when you're flying over an island full of violent convicts with homemade explosives...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭savemejebus

is no one else concerned about the atlantis team effectively condemning an entire society to death by the wraith by helping the convicts escape and then just pissin off instead of shooting down the other wraith ships. Yeah the magistrates deserved all they'd get but imagine the millions of others that would die

is no one else concerned about the atlantis team effectively condemning an entire society to death by the wraith by helping the convicts escape and then just pissin off instead of shooting down the other wraith ships. Yeah the magistrates deserved all they'd get but imagine the millions of others that would die

They probably just felt that an entire society who dressed mainly in grey weren't worth saving :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah, I thought about that too.

I'm also wondering why these guys (or the Wraith for that matter) don't just create masses of clones to feed the Wraith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Story was OK but enjoyed the episode overall. Agree with the holes in the story but season is developing nicely . IMHO it is consistently better than the current season of its big brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think that this story was left open, to be honest. It ended with the Wraith ship hovering over the city, but whos to know that the magistrate doesn't cut another deal? Near the start of the show, they could have been tracking the call that Shepherd made back to Atlantis, so they could use that as a bargaining chip.

Could turn into another Genii-style revenge storyline later in this season....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Lord Oz wrote:
    Did anyone else lose hope in the episode when prisoners shot down a puddlejumper with a few homemade cannons? If it was taking fire why not fly out of the atmosphere?
    Yeah, I thought this was a bit of a let down. You'd imagine that when flying over enemy territory, and they already know they have weapons and explosives, that raising the shields at least would be standard protocol? Ideally they would have cloaked the ship.

Then, when the 2nd jumper was leaving after the talks broke down, they too were heading for the island without being cloaked, even though they knew that something bad had happened to the first one. The only cloaked when they detected the Wraith ship?

I know it was all necessary for the plot, without it there wouldn't have been an episode, but still. Apart from that I thought it was a pretty good episode, McKay was his usual witty self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Ancient Meeting the Milky Way Plague - Feeling Like Death
    Pretty poor standard of an episode, imho. For the same reasons as already mentioned.
    Not least of which being, my god they shot a puddlejumper down with cannons. Sorry, I cant really let this one slide. I'm voting Atlantis Ancient Meeting the Wraith - Feeling Crappy, my lowest rating of any episode since this board opened. Very disappointed.

It was that and numerous other gaping plot holes that just led me to see fault with stuff tha I would generally let slide. Making for a thoroughly painful experience.

That said, Ronin was cool :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ixoy wrote:
    Didn't recognise him, and with good reason, I'd never seen this episode! Looked it up and it's 3x08, so I watched it last night, good episode. Noticed a few others that I've never seen from the early seasons of SG1 too, including one with a bounty hunter in it, that was good too. Now that my collection is complete (well up to S7) I must watch a few more past episodes.

Strange that Sky1 repeat SG1 so much and there are still episodes I haven't seen. Same with ST Voyager too.

And I thought I had nothing to watch from week to week waiting for the Stargates and Battlestar :rolleyes: silly me.

Advertisement