Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boro vs. pool mathc thread (scores and what not)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

We should have put two up when Boro were down to ten and were only playing one up themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Shamrok wrote:
    We should have put two up when Boro were down to ten and were only playing one up themselves.
    I understand what you are saying but that would have meant taking Cisse off the right wing and replacing him with who? Move Finnan up? Take Sissoko off for Riise and play him there?

I understand what you are saying but that would have meant taking Cisse off the right wing and replacing him with who? Move Finnan up? Take Sissoko off for Riise and play him there?
    Coul dhave moved Finnan up or could have taken Warnock off and gone three at the back. It wouldn't be the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Alonso wasn't having a good game, he could have been taken off leaving Sissoko covering Gerrards forward runs. Leaving Morientes and Baros up front with Cisse coming on for Garcia. Morientes couldn't have been too tired since he did very little running for the first 70mins anyway.

PiE wrote:
    Alonso wasn't having a good game, he could have been taken off leaving Sissoko covering Gerrards forward runs. Leaving Morientes and Baros up front with Cisse coming on for Garcia. Morientes couldn't have been too tired since he did very little running for the first 70mins anyway.
    I agree that Alonso wasnt having a good game, but had he been substituted and we not scored "we would have lacked the penetration his passing gives us".

We had enough chances to win the game as it was. Gerrard got taken out when clean through, two good headed opportunities near the end. On another day we would have won it, and to take three points at Boro is a great result. The performance was good, we dominated, we just lacked a killer instinct in front of goal. It had nothing to do with the formation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Morenities cant really play the lone striker role. Thats why we bought crouch. If he wasnt injuried he would of been upfront on his own and his a much better opition. Away to good teams like boro we have to play 4-5-1.

We arent a team looking to win the title, we looking to improve on last seasons performances. WE have, last year we lost 2-0. Got the draw this year and really should of won. I am pleased with the result myself. Just disappointed considering the chances we had werent created.

I agree that Alonso wasnt having a good game, but had he been substituted and we not scored "we would have lacked the penetration his passing gives us".
    Why are you using inverted commas? Did anyone say this?
    to take three points at Boro is a great result.
    It would have been nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Shamrok wrote:
    Why are you using inverted commas? Did anyone say this?

why would someone say it when it never happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

he was referencing rafa benitez. know your benitez quotes children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I thought we played well.....more performance's like that and we will climb the table no hassle....we just were lacking a little luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I would say that you where lacking any class to finish a game off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Spurs for 4th, Liverpool are still a joke and this season they wont win CL to make out they had a good season!

Have been reading all(and there has been plenty) threads on here and every Liverpool supporters have had the red glasses on, some quoting they are going to win the league and so on, not a hope with that performance, its exactly the same as last season, and the season before and the season before........

I am backing Spurs for fourth and according to most of the pundits they are the same!! Even Jamie "da pool" Rednapp was tipping them.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea but jamie also said jenas shouldnt have been sent off.....

i thought the performance was encouraging, it is only the first game of the season its way too early to be sayin we wont finish in the top 4 because we only got a point at the riverside

VinnyL wrote:

He shouldnt have been sent off, did u watch the highlights? everyone said the same!! usual cheating Arsenal!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Big Nelly wrote:
    Spurs for 4th, Liverpool are still a joke and this season they wont win CL to make out they had a good season!

Have been reading all(and there has been plenty) threads on here and every Liverpool supporters have had the red glasses on, some quoting they are going to win the league and so on, not a hope with that performance, its exactly the same as last season, and the season before and the season before........

I am backing Spurs for fourth and according to most of the pundits they are the same!! Even Jamie "da pool" Rednapp was tipping them.......
    I thought Liverpool were "ok" on Saturday, should have converted some of their chances but didn't and thus a draw is about fair. Last season we were very poor (and luck to win the CL).

I, like most Liverpool fans am hoping for a vast improvement this season, coz as you say, last year was poor and the year before and the year before. I'm expecting Spurs could be hugely improved this season and should definitely be pushing for 4th or 5th.

Could you quote some of the pool fans you claim to be quoting that they'll win the league? just out of curiosity ;)

• Advertisement

p.pete wrote:
    I thought Liverpool were "ok" on Saturday, should have converted some of their chances but didn't and thus a draw is about fair. Last season we were very poor (and luck to win the CL).

I, like most Liverpool fans am hoping for a vast improvement this season, coz as you say, last year was poor and the year before and the year before. I'm expecting Spurs could be hugely improved this season and should definitely be pushing for 4th or 5th.

Could you quote some of the pool fans you claim to be quoting that they'll win the league? just out of curiosity ;)

Check the Liverpool transfer thread or any of the numerous threads that popped up over the summer about anything that had any connection to do with Liverpool....I remember seeing a Liverpool condom thread in here it was that bad!!! everyone in transfer thread where saying that the 'pool was going to push for League! as you said Liverpool where ok on Sat but ok isnt a Champions winning team and I still think they will have probs getting to fourth! I rate Rafa as a manager because I watch alot of Spanish footie but I think 2-3 season to repair the mess that "the gentleman" houlierr left and then they will maybe get close to ManUtd/Arsenal/Chelsea

To show my point Chelsea/Utd/Arsenal all played ok at weekend but all came out with 3 points.....thats the difference.....even Utd and Chelsea could have been classed as playing poor(didnt see Arsenal game) and still won against better teams than Boro!

Big Nelly wrote:
    To show my point Chelsea/Utd/Arsenal all played ok at weekend but all came out with 3 points.....thats the difference.....

good point, but we were really unlucky. but your right though, we have to turn these draws in to wins if we're ever gonna push for a top 3 finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I feel like most people that we got a dissapointing result on Sat. Liverpool need to be aiming for a comfortable top-4 finish, and a win away to Middlesboro is whats needed to achieve that, so I see the result as two points lost in terms of target and two points lost in terms of what happened on the pitch.

Now, lets look at the formation. You could call it 4-5-1, but Garcia is seen as a "hole" player by Benitez, not an out and out striker but an attacking midfielder, so you could say 4- 4.5 -1.5. A careful selection perhaps, and each of us would probably do no different given that it was the first game of the season. Benitez didnt know what type of team Middlesboro he would meet, and it was a dreaded away game, our achiles heel of last season, so Benitez was more afraid of losing and what that would mean to the team. He wanted to avoid an early pothole. So, a draw is something. Hindsight of course shows us that this game was for the taking, but everyone can be an expert in hindsight, even Dunphy!

Gerrard, even with his misses, which were close, played outstanding. The back 4 were solid. Hyppia was not challenged for pace. Warnock did well. I was not impressed by Reina, who on several occassions lost his position in the box for crosses and was stranded. Other teams will punish him for that. New keepers to the english league can have problems with crosses and it showed yesterday. Can we sincerely say that Reina will be much better than Dudek? On that performance yesterday it doesnt look like it, but there is a long way to go so final judgement cant be done. He may improve.

Carra was solid, as was Finnan, although he didnt do much going forward and didnt take the risks in doing so. This was probably due to Benitez instruction.

Zenden was average. He didnt link up well at all, and this is what I have feared with his signing. He will not be inspirational to a Liverpool team and doesnt really add to the 1st 11. Sissoko is an unusual player. Very physical so someone that could turn into a Makelele of sorts. I dont know why Hamann wasnt playing, maybe keeping him for the tougher games. He is the ideal player to play alongside Alonso and allows Alonso do what he does best.

Garcia, Benitez's favoured son, put in a poor performance, but typical of him last season as well so no surprise really. Giving the ball away easily, being the weak link in terms of defensive cover, being too light etc. He didnt contribute much up front.

Morientes did ok, but I still cant see him being a 20-goal striker. Maybe in a 4-4-2 formation with himself and Cisse/Baros or anyone up front, it may have been different. I think if Liverpool would have played 4-4-2 yesterday, with Garcia and Morientes dropped (something which Benitez is not going to do alas) and Cisse and Baros up front, with Cisse playing in the middle, not on the wing, then, I am sure we would have won.

Gerrard was excellent. He likes the forward role, and although he has yet to learn how to execute a deft finish, he was marauding forward and was the only real threat from Liverpool. On another day, one would have gone in.

I think Benitez has lost the plot when he plays Cisse out wide as a winger. Cisse is not a winger. He can run fast, he might be able to get the odd cross in, but it is nearly always poorly placed, too strong, ahead of players, etc. Liverpool dont have a winger, which is a well known fact. Riise perhaps may have been a better option to play as left back and provide some ball in, and have Cisse in the box. Cisse's best talent is exploiting a ball from 30-yards out running on to it and trying a shot, or a blast, depending on your definition. He score rate will be low percentage though so he needs a lot of supply. Funny enough, a good player perhaps to link up with Cisse is none other than Owen.

I think Baros is certainly not inspired at the moment. He did ok for anyone that is more or less transfer fodder. This is a terrible situation to put any player into, and clearly Baros and Benitez dont see eye to eye. A talent Liverpool are not availing of and he did ok when he came on.

So, overall, yes, 2 pts dropped, but as a first game of the season, there is no need to be overly critical or too dissapointed. Liverpool may still be in 1st gear rather than in 4th gear, but its a 1st step in the right direction.

The fixtures ahead look like this, and I've put in what I think are reasonable targets:

20 Aug, 2005 Sunderland H 15:00 W
    10 Sep, 2005 Tottenham Hotspur A 15:00 W/D
    18 Sep, 2005 Manchester United H 12:00 W/D
    24 Sep, 2005 Birmingham City A 12:45 W
    02 Oct, 2005 Chelsea H 16:00 D
    15 Oct, 2005 Blackburn Rovers H 15:00 W

A win at home to Sunderland is a must, as is against Blackburn. The game against Birmingham will be a test of the away set-up for this season, and a win there is a must. Draws against Chelsea and Man U, two big games that come early in the season, would be satisfactory.

In finishing off, what makes perhaps Liverpool's draw against Middlesbro more troubling to many of us than it should is how the big three managed to get wins yet were far from being dominant. Man U could have gone 1-0 down against Everton, before v.Nistelrooy got in a half chance and Rooney was gifted one. Chelsea were the 2nd team against Wigan, who should have won it, but stole it at the death wtha wonder strike. And Arsenal got the fortune of a penalty which on other days wouldnt have been given. They were kept at bay by a very good Shay Given, which augers well for Ireland.

Slow start, more to do ....

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I totally agree Big Nelly - everything to do with Liverpool has been discussed and most of it has been trite. I don't the the "Liverpool condom holder" thread was actually started by a Liverpool fan but certainly isn't someone saying that we're the best and we're going to win the league.

Incidently, an article in the racing post at the weekend was saying that Liverpool are who the bookies are saying that they fear the most will win the league - well 3 bookies at least have said it. If United win they'll be laughing all the way to the bank. Again that's a reflection of the added hype after them winning the CL. I suppose there people now deluded that Liverpool can win the league - but I always start every season thinking that :D

VinnyL wrote:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/05/08/15/SOCCER_Newcastle_Snap.html

Seems Ref and FA agree with him as well :D

• Advertisement

To P.Pete and Big Nelly I saw no Pool fans saying here that we would win the league. Most including me are expecting an improvement on last season in the league though. After all, it's the first week of the season lads.

Big Nelly wrote:

disgraceful. wait till someones leg is broken with the exact same tackle next week.

about the owen thing, i really dont think we need a striker, rafa get it together and sign a winger and defender first

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

VinnyL wrote:
    disgraceful. wait till someones leg is broken with the exact same tackle next week.

about the owen thing, i really dont think we need a striker, rafa get it together and sign a winger and defender first

I agree on that. CB and right wing are much more important to us now than a new striker. I think that Owen will sign when Baros leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

spurs will not finish 4th this year, they have never finished in the top six in the premiership, (or bottom six for that matter) so lack the experience of being a 'top' team, the pressure is a lot greater in the top 4 than in the mid-table, i do think spurs have a fantastic side, but one or two experienced players will not see them through to 4th.

As for the pool, they finished 5th last year, with very few points, i see it more as liverpool losing the 4th spot, than everton winning it. both teams would have finished lower down in previous seasons with the same amount of points. i think if liverpool manage to close the gap on chelski by 15-20 points, the season would be a success.

my tips for the league: -
    1. Arsenal - barely...
    2. Chelsea - CL season for them, if mourinho trys to win all 4 titles again, team will get tired, the hunger was there last season, now its there for the CL.
    3. Man Utd - Close finish in top 3, just misiing out on 2nd methinks
    4. Liverpool
    5. Spurs - finally breaking in to top six improving next year

Big Nelly wrote:
    Liverpool are still a joke and this season they wont win CL to make out they had a good season!
    "To make out the had a good season"? Are you implying they didnt last year? The CL victory just made it out like they did.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    I think Liverpool will come fourth, Ill be delighted with that once they perform better on an overall level to last year. Seeing as they only came three points off fourth last year I dont think this expectation is looked at through "red glasses", it seems very realistic. Most LFC fans on here feel the same so ou are wrong to say every LFC supporter has red glasses on. In fact most are realistic.

As for that performance being the "exactly the same as last season", it was actually completely different. Liverpool lost this game last year convincingly, this year they won it.

You obviously have some bitter issue with Liverpool, I think it would be better if you tried to address this before just coming out splurting rubbish. Its a common trait of supporters of clubs that have been less successful than Liverpool in recent years to have a serious issue about them. They have the notion in their heads that Liverpool supporters think they can win the league every year, where as the reality of it is that most supporters have a very realistic outlook and would be well happy with fourth place once there was a realistic improvement in performances.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    A lot of people seem to be tipping Spurs for some reason, but I cant realistically see them challenging for fourth yet. All they have signed is a few English teenagers as well as an ageing vetern with a proven track record of trouble. I think they will do well but a UEFA cup place is a realistic target, sure they havnt even finished above 9th for eight years (at least). I dont know whats changed since then.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    To show my point Chelsea/Utd/Arsenal all played ok at weekend but all came out with 3 points.....thats the difference.....even Utd and Chelsea could have been classed as playing poor(didnt see Arsenal game) and still won against better teams than Boro!
    This doesnt prove your point, most Liverpool fans accept that these clubs are better than them. And Wigan are a better team than Boro? Boro finished 6th last year. Arsenal needed a disputed sending off and then a penalty with a few minutes to go to seal their victory. Liverpool would have also won if it were not for a blatant professional foul in the closing stages.
    redspider wrote:
    I was not impressed by Reina, who on several occassions lost his position in the box for crosses and was stranded. Other teams will punish him for that. New keepers to the english league can have problems with crosses and it showed yesterday. Can we sincerely say that Reina will be much better than Dudek? On that performance yesterday it doesnt look like it, but there is a long way to go so final judgement cant be done. He may improve.
    As far as I remember from the game Reina dealt with crosses masterfully. He absolutely whalloped a couple with his fist sending them 40 yards. I was nervous seeing them come in as he looked a bit out of position but it was blatantly obvious from the resulting punch he knew exactly what he was doing. Unless I missed a couple that he was at fault on.
    redspider wrote:
    Morientes did ok, but I still cant see him being a 20-goal striker. Maybe in a 4-4-2 formation with himself and Cisse/Baros or anyone up front, it may have been different. I think if Liverpool would have played 4-4-2 yesterday, with Garcia and Morientes dropped (something which Benitez is not going to do alas) and Cisse and Baros up front, with Cisse playing in the middle, not on the wing, then, I am sure we would have won.
    As you said yourself everyone is an expert in hindsight. One could argue doing that would leave us with Gerrard probably playing right wing, giving that dangerous Downing lots of free space. It would also leave us shorter than we were in the middle, who is to say we would have dominated the game like we did.

We would have won the game if it were not for a cynical professional foul, or a bit of luck with some of our chances. Im not concerned in the slightest.
    redspider wrote:
    In finishing off, what makes perhaps Liverpool's draw against Middlesbro more troubling to many of us than it should is how the big three managed to get wins yet were far from being dominant. Man U could have gone 1-0 down against Everton, before v.Nistelrooy got in a half chance and Rooney was gifted one. Chelsea were the 2nd team against Wigan, who should have won it, but stole it at the death wtha wonder strike. And Arsenal got the fortune of a penalty which on other days wouldnt have been given. They were kept at bay by a very good Shay Given, which augers well for Ireland.
    Arsenal completely ran their game, Newcastle didnt even have a shot (on or off target) I dont think. Yet they still required a bit of luck on the sending off and a late penalty to secure victory.

Chelsea had 15 shots on goal, 60% possession, yet still needed to go to the last kick of the game to secure victory.

The only difference between these victories and Liverpools draw was a bit of fortune.

United played well according to reports, but were also gift wrapped the goal that killed the game as a contest in the opening stages of the second half.

To say that these make our draw "troubling" is a bit confusing to me. United aside, Chelsea and Arsenal were both extremely lucky to take the points (which was admitted by Chelseas own manager). We just didnt have that luck.

Our next five games will be interesting. Its as tough a start as you could probably get on paper. And Im sure if we dont bag 10 or 12 points from the five games people will be all to quick to get the digs in. The reality of the matter is if we were to get 8 would be more than satisfactory, 9 it would be great, 10 would be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Ridiculous castigating Liverpool for drawing 0-0 in the Riverside. The only thing that stopped Arsenal and Chelsea starting off with 0-0 as well was a bit of luck. That happened to elude Liverpool today, but it'll even out. Liverpool played better in the second half than either Arsenal or Chelsea did.

The positive thing for Liverpool, which was different than prior years, was that they did create chances to go with all their possession. The move for the Ehiogu sending off was class. It just happened that all the chances fell to Stevie and he was having "one of those days". These things happen. 37 games to go, or whatever it is.

Personally I think United and Chelsea will be ahead of the rest, but Liverpool have every chance to get 3rd place.

Most LFC fans ... are realistic.

As far as I remember ... Reina dealt with crosses masterfully. Unless I missed a couple that he was at fault on.

We would have won the game if it were not for a cynical professional foul, or a bit of luck with some of our chances. Im not concerned in the slightest.

Arsenal completely ran their game ... Yet they still required a bit of luck on the sending off and a late penalty to secure victory. Chelsea had 15 shots on goal, 60% possession, yet still needed to go to the last kick of the game to secure victory. United played well according to reports, but were also gift wrapped the goal that killed the game as a contest in the opening stages of the second half. The only difference between these victories and Liverpools draw was a bit of fortune. To say that these make our draw "troubling" is a bit confusing to me.

I back your point Jivin to Big Nelly that most fans are realistic and dont expect Liverpool to win the league. I'm in the sub-group that are usually more pessimistic (more realistic?) than most.

Reina did misjudge several crosses. I watched MOTD1 and they showed two. They did not show the one that he punched 40 yards. Highlights are not a perfect way to judge a teams performance so my observations are caveated by that. Newspaper reports are even more inaccurate so I would advise all of of you not to trust those fully, especially the english ones who either under or over hype.

A point related to that foul and subesquent free-kick. Several times last season we were left wanting at the dead ball situation. On too many occasions, intricate "training ground" moves were tried and usually failed, with shots blocked down, etc. It was the same on Sat. That free-kick could have been converted to a goal. Liverpool need a new free kick approach/coach. Some of you may have noticed how Danny Murphy put his away for Charlton on Sat. Surely Garcia could learn to bend the ball like that, or Gerrard, as he can do, well almost anything ;-). Someone have a word in Benitez's ear please! The current situation is embarassing and allows teams to risk fouling Liverpool players without being punished.

We are in agreement on the ManU/Chelsea/Arsenal results and effects. I am not in panic mode after the 0-0 draw, but I do see it as being -2 pts behind our potential. It being the first day back proper and all that (even though the team have been playing CL football for a month!), and it being a difficult away game, its an ok result. Not a disaster but nothing to write home about, and given that Liverpool dominated the game, all indicators are ok. However, there were some problems with the team, and if these are not solved they will come back to bite us in other matches. Even with these, a top-4 is possible.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

redspider wrote:
    I back your point Jivin to Big Nelly that most fans are realistic and dont expect Liverpool to win the league. I'm in the sub-group that are usually more pessimistic (more realistic?) than most.

Agreed, i think the people saying we'll win the league are in the vast vast minority and possibly not serious. Having read pretty much every liverpool post for the past 4 or 5 months, its safe to say most would be happy with a closer 4th place finish maybe getting near enough to 3rd to have manu/arsenal worried right till the end. Red tinted glasses? i dont think so..liverpool have built on the team, added some grit and most of all some depth so injuries shouldn't hurt as much. Its fairly natural to think we should finish with more points then last seasons woefull tally.
    redspider wrote:
    Reina did misjudge several crosses. I watched MOTD1 and they showed two. They did not show the one that he punched 40 yards. Highlights are not a perfect way to judge a teams performance so my observations are caveated by that. Newspaper reports are even more inaccurate so I would advise all of of you not to trust those fully, especially the english ones who either under or over hype.

I watched the game in full and Reina all in all was quite good. Once he got caught badly out of position from a cross, he tried to get out to make a punch but didn't manage to push his way through the crowd and got lucky with the way the ball fell for boro. He kinda got caught a second time but not too badly, and besides those, he was actually very good for everything else. He did make some monstrous clearances with his fist, really gets some power into them, was putting them well clear of the box. One not terribly serious error, which could on another day have gifted a goal, but which also could happen to any kepper, but otherwise not a bad performance at all. Though it was a different game, the last minute save against sofia deserves an extra mention for his concentration to be that sharp right to the death. All in all im happy with him so far
    redspider wrote:
    A point related to that foul and subesquent free-kick. Several times last season we were left wanting at the dead ball situation. On too many occasions, intricate "training ground" moves were tried and usually failed, with shots blocked down, etc. It was the same on Sat. That free-kick could have been converted to a goal. Liverpool need a new free kick approach/coach. Some of you may have noticed how Danny Murphy put his away for Charlton on Sat. Surely Garcia could learn to bend the ball like that, or Gerrard, as he can do, well almost anything ;-). Someone have a word in Benitez's ear please! The current situation is embarassing and allows teams to risk fouling Liverpool players without being punished.

Agreed here as well, we just dont really threaten from free's the same as the top teams. We have those gerrard thunderbolts that lampard and, more famously, Roberto Carlos does but generally they bounce all over the place. Riise can get a nice bend on the ball on occasion and has "hitting it really really hard" down to a tee as well.
    Would be nice to have someone doing danny murphy styled stuff though, like berger used to. Im sure one of the imports could do something with a bit more practice as garcia and alonso are both great with shots technically as well. Anyone know if zenden has a good free on him? cant really remember..

redspider wrote:
    I am not in panic mode after the 0-0 draw, but I do see it as being -2 pts behind our potential. It being the first day back proper and all that (even though the team have been playing CL football for a month!), and it being a difficult away game, its an ok result. Not a disaster but nothing to write home about, and given that Liverpool dominated the game, all indicators are ok. However, there were some problems with the team, and if these are not solved they will come back to bite us in other matches. Even with these, a top-4 is possible.

Yeah, it was a balls not to leave with the 3 points but at the same time we did get to see a great away premiership performance of domination. I was dubious about the 4-5-1, but its undoubtedly what got us the domination, with xabi staying back, gerrard doing a lot of work and Sissoko being absolutely outstanding! Was really impressed with this lad, playing with realy spirit and was involved in absolutely everything, everytime they defended he was there, everytime they broke forward, he was there too and what was the best, was that he could a didi hamman play breaking role actually well up the field, stopping moves long before they even started and winning possession back deep in boro's half. Hate these comparrisons people have with "the next viera" and stuff, but this guy looks like he could be the next Sissoko which is far better.
    All in all, great performance from most of the team (garcia had a very poor game and nando got a bit lonely up there all on his own) so generally happy and looking forward to what should be a great season!

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Reina: I watched the game in full and Reina all in all was quite good ... Though it was a different game, the last minute save against sofia deserves an extra mention for his concentration to be that sharp right to the death. All in all im happy with him so far

Frees: we just dont really threaten from free's the same as the top teams. Im sure one of the imports could do something with a bit more practice

Sissoko: ... Sissoko being absolutely outstanding! Was really impressed with this lad, playing with realy spirit and was involved in absolutely everything, everytime they defended he was there, everytime they broke forward, he was there too and what was the best, was that he could a didi hamman play breaking role actually well up the field, stopping moves long before they even started and winning possession back deep in boro's half.

Reina: yes, its early days to judge a keeper, I'll give him 10 games. So far its so good, no real major errors and some saves. I just would have been happier if at all times he was in total control of box. It just takes one fluff to lose a goal, just ask David James who cost Liverpool dearly.

Frees: email the BBC to get them to look at the topic, raise awareness as it is a serious problem and is costing Liverpool goals and points. Riise is fine for the rockets, as is Stevie but its the curler and te up-and-down taker that we dont have - what an opportunity for Alonso you would think as its mainly a case of practice.

Sissoko: Good to hear that about Sissoko. He did seem to be further up the field than Hamann, which is one reason why I thought Alonso was "subdued" as he was chasing more than he would prefer. Overall a good job and he's a strong lad with physical presence yet skill at the same time. He has the potential to develop further, as you point out.

redspider

redspider wrote:
    Reina: yes, its early days to judge a keeper, I'll give him 10 games. So far its so good, no real major errors and some saves. I just would have been happier if at all times he was in total control of box. It just takes one fluff to lose a goal, just ask David James who cost Liverpool dearly.
    Im very impressed with what I have seen so far of Reina. He appears to command the area very well, you will hear him shout very audibly on TV when he is coming for the ball. The things they highlighted on MOTD must have been very minor, I didnt notice them at all, and there were a couple of very difficult balls that he went up for and cleared which he had no right to.
    redspider wrote:
    Frees: email the BBC to get them to look at the topic, raise awareness as it is a serious problem and is costing Liverpool goals and points. Riise is fine for the rockets, as is Stevie but its the curler and te up-and-down taker that we dont have - what an opportunity for Alonso you would think as its mainly a case of practice.
    I think Benetiz has brought a new dimension to Liverpools set pieces. Some of the moves have been very inventive and above all original, catching opponents off-guard.

I remember one free on Saturday that was telegraphed and charged down but I remember quite a few very clever ones that came off during the course of the year. They might not have led to goals but there were a lot of close calls for the opposition. Every team hits those telegraphed shift and strike frees from time to time, again its nothing Id be worried about.

We dont have a player that can strike a free like Beckham so we have to resort to hammer hitters like Gerrard, Riise, and Hamann. For these two get a good strike they invariably need the ball shifted around the wall, hence the ball is more likely to be charged down than if it is struck dead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement