Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying DJ hardware - here, the U.S. or eBay?

• 13-08-2005 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Any advice on buying DJ gear, if I'll be in both Ireland the States in the coming months...I'll be in the States long enough to have a delivery address :D

The other option is of course the web but buying anything in Sterling is a joke so I'm a bit stumped.

I can find the Numark USB DXM mixer for $193 with free delivery.
    http://www.djdeals.com/numarkDXM01USB.htm
    but the price varies right upto $249 in many U.S. stores...
    http://calsound.com/product_info.php?pName=numark-dxm-06&cName=mixers-numark

Have to ring around in Ireland but I doubt i'll be cheap.

Any advice please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

my advice to you: dont buy that mixer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

My question to you: Why?!

But seriously...I'm open to suggestions. I don't see many other USB mixers on the market, and I don't have hundreds and hundreds to spend on the A&H mixer (which isn't even out yet). I can't afford to buy vinyl and CD decks are something that I've lost a little interest in...given the constant need to buy more blanks and the lack of scope compared to a PC mixer:
    - effects
    - using the same track at the same time
    - recording /editing easier
    - This particular setup allows you to play all file formats and isn't hooked into specific software. Final Scratch doesn't and DO NOT wish to invest in a mp3-only hardware setup...

Numark arn't a bad brand especially if your on a budget and if I get get it for around 150eu while in the States what's to be gained by waiting months and months for other rivals to produce better hardware (all of which is simply predicted).

If Finalscratch or Serato Scratch etc. are better than I'm really interested to hear your reasoning (honestly).

Please point out what I'm missing here.

what youre missing, is that digital mixers are godawful

Ok. I don't claim to have any experience with them but I'd only read good reports - such as Giles' review in this forum.

Again, any chance of ellaborating or even recommending some alternative please?

a uc33e, decent soundcard and ableton 5 would be infinitely better

• Advertisement

Right I know what your pointing (albeit concisely!)...although I'm still hoping you'll explain why a digital mixer is godawful.

Abelton is 500eu.
    UC33E is the same price as the Numark mixer.
    A decent sound card...well that depends - but that's ALOT of cash in total.

As far as I can see this would be a brilliant setup if I wasn't on a budget. Abelton and Evolution's UC are more towards the production end of things; naturally you can make brilliant mixes this way but I'm not Sasha and I'm not getting paid his wages either. Sure it's future-proofing your setup but I feel that a USB mixer that contains a decent soundcard allows me to use all my vinyl, CDs and online music (in various formats) at minimal cost...that's future-proofing at a much lower level and as much as I love my music I'm not prepared to spend everything I have on a better version. I've tried Abelton and it's fantasticly powerful (and does handle FLAC files aswell as mp3,ogg,etc.).

What I'm trying to say is thanks but you seem to be pushing a very different setup which would be unaffordable for many.

but the fact remains that there hasnt been a single half decent usb mixer yet

why spend money on sh*te when you can save for a few months more and get something good?

Why oh why is it sh!te? So it's got only 2 channels and limited features...but unless the sound quality is bad then I don't foresee any problem - it's not a high-end mixer. I think if Vestax et al. bring out a rival it will be wayy too much for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Helix wrote:
    but the fact remains that there hasnt been a single half decent usb mixer yet

why spend money on sh*te when you can save for a few months more and get something good?

I have this mixer Helix and I can assure it isn't sh*te by any stretch. Ok it's basic enough but for the price it's great. Besides I use it with software which I can use effects plugins for along with a sampler so I don't need those features on a mixer. It's very sturdy and robust too. Sound quality is superb as well as it goes through a 24bit soundcard. The only thing I might miss in the future is an extra channel but as I've stated before on these forums I think it's only a matter of time before alot of these USB compatiable mixers start showing up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Numark DXM03

This numark one looks pretty good, has anyone got it or used it before? I've been using Tractor and Virtual DJ for ages, and alwyas planed to get 2 sound cards and an external mixer, but this seems like a much easier and cheaper way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Zascar wrote:
    Numark DXM03

This numark one looks pretty good, has anyone got it or used it before? I've been using Tractor and Virtual DJ for ages, and alwyas planed to get 2 sound cards and an external mixer, but this seems like a much easier and cheaper way around.

This one's essentially the same as the one I have (DXM01) with some extra features and no USB connectivity. Tbh if you're mixing using any half-decent software you shouldn't need the extra features as these would be on the software anyway (waveform visual, FX etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Numark are a ball of s**t.
    I wouldnt go near anything with there name on it due to reliabilty problems.
    Even one of there reps admitted to me that they are crap.

With regards of where to buy gear.
    Depending on how much you are spending (not much in your case) i would buy in Ireland. You will have an Irish warranty, which you will need if you buy numark.

Try www.aquariussound.ie for very competive Irish prices.

Zascar wrote:
    Numark DXM03

As Giles said, the thread is here.

Now, does anyone have info. on my original question please?! It still counts whether I buy a midi controller, a numark deck or an A&H mixing desk!

bucks wrote:
    Numark are a ball of s**t.
    I wouldnt go near anything with there name on it due to reliabilty problems.
    Even one of there reps admitted to me that they are crap.

With regards of where to buy gear.
    Depending on how much you are spending (not much in your case) i would buy in Ireland. You will have an Irish warranty, which you will need if you buy numark.

Try www.aquariussound.ie for very competive Irish prices.
    My Numark mixer has never broken and has nothing replaced - not even the X-Fader...

Anyway, I've just noticed this from the end of the previous thread and will look into it more too - it's $220. First impressions are it's alot more powerful but seems to have limited connectivity.
    http://www.behringer.com/BCD2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Cheap, great to deal with, accept bank tranfers and CC's and no import duty (21 % included in price) And prolly one of the largest ranges you'll get anywhere .... Thomann

.... they have the numark USB battle mixer (DM 950)for 102 euro !!!!

and the..... dxm 01 and CM200 at 195 and 250 euro...

Bought a good few bits n' bobs off em and they are great and fast to ship ...

The Aldi of the Music world methinks :P

TBH i'd go for the cheap ass version of a first gen USB mixer .. no doubt it has the same USB capabilities as the bigger brother and a good test bed for not much cash, without the fancy LED readouts .. you'd get most of it back on resale if you decide its the way to go, and then get the big one.

I think its a little unfair to suggest numark are pieces of crap as in previous posts .. and in their defence they are one of the first to actively tackle USB mixers and Pitch controllable DVD on a budget ... c'mon its not like they are KAM (ugh) is it? I used to sell them back a few years ago and they rarely if ever gave trouble and saw few returns compared to Kam or Gemini Gear (thankfully we never delt in soundlab!), even and the one I owned (and since sold) is still going strong after 6 years without a xfade even replaced

Also in relation to Orig Question Numark or Midi controller ... how about ..

1 x Cheap numark USB mixer @ 105
    1 x Cheap Midi controller e.g. evolution x-session @ 99 euro

Total cost 204 euro .. seems reasonable ..

I dont think anything is a substitute for "real" hardware espessially in the case of software crash (on windows ... although as I stated previously, Mac Hercules console is Fantastic with Traktor)

A combination of both for not much more cash might be a good comprimise

Advertisement