Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peig Sayers

Options
  • 13-08-2005 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking for a bit of help from anyone who knows the book Peig relatively well. I am using it for an exam next week but haven't read it.
    I am using it as an example in a psychology question on;
    How autobiographies add to psycholoigcal accounts of identity.

Basically, I need to know if Peig (author) is monological or dialogical in the way she writes?
    Also, the;
    Spatial
    Moral
    Social self/status
    Historical
    In realtion to the book. Sorry if I haven't made much sense but any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    I wasn't able to read the book as my father has been very ill and am studying for the exams at the last minute.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It's not that long - you'd have it read in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

there must be one of those small books of notes for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Presumably the Peig book in school-

Status in society - Poverty prevented secondary education (as it did for most) and she had to go 'in aimsir' at a young age, having to leave home and enter a world very different from her own (country to town living). She didn't seem to have much say in the matter, nor any other oppportunities.

Status as a woman - no physical/emotional freedom, decisions made for her -her marriage was pretty much arranged, as far as I remember, she was brought by brother to meet 3 men and then the husband was picked, but she didn't have much say or right to interview the man she was not only destined to spend her life with and bear his children, but also move to his home place, again an unfamiliar place and a slightly different type of society - small island life.

Island life - no means of physical escape for her, entered a tight-knit community and had to gain acceptance as an outsider. Very few amenities/services available. distance from her family.

Hope that's of some limited help, maybe somebody connected to the Irish board might be of more help?

Good luck with exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Thanks very much SmileyGal, much appreciated

Advertisement