Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cost of a service

Options
  • 13-08-2005 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know how much it will cost for a service on a 96 skoda felica? 114K on the clock. How much would a main stealer charge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

No idea, but given the mileage and year, they will find just about everything in need of repair, down to the wheel valve stems.
    So expect it to cost more than the car is worth if you leave them with a generic "fix whatever is in need of repair".

Best to first determine what is in ned of repair, then decide what is critical in which case you might be able to limit the damage to $500.

Otherwise, take it to an independant and ask for a basic oil change and engine tune up.
    Should really learn what is in need of repair first them you are in command of the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nothing major is wrong with her. Just the basics need doing, oil airfilter and plugs. Prehaps a tune up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

Windsor are doing a summer special-any car, any model 99 notes.

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=287638 for 'discussion'

'My' mechanic charged €140 for a service on a 1999 Nissan Almera with 100k+ miles on the clock in February.

Bond-007 wrote:
    Nothing major is wrong with her. Just the basics need doing, oil airfilter and plugs. Prehaps a tune up.

In which case, my guesstimate;
    Dist Cap + Rotor = $30
    Ignition Wires = $50
    Plugs = $15/set
    Air Filter = $15
    Oil Filter = $10
    Oil = Whatever 1gal of your favorite costs locally ($20)

+ 1 hr labor at the local rate ~ $90.

Check and top off any other fluids ~ Gear box, Brakes, Clutch, Power Steering, add $30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Yup I'm with amurphy on this.
    Diy service is best way to go.
    My car bmw........
    Main stealer service, routine 420 e.
    Friendly garage 285 e.
    Diy 80 e. took about an hour to do. I will admit I have bee'n servicing and fixing my own cars for years as a hobbie, but it's pretty easy, if you can undo a nut you can service a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

AMurphy wrote:
    In which case, my guesstimate;
    Dist Cap + Rotor = $30
    Ignition Wires = $50
    Plugs = $15/set
    Air Filter = $15
    Oil Filter = $10
    Oil = Whatever 1gal of your favorite costs locally ($20)

+ 1 hr labor at the local rate ~ $90.

Check and top off any other fluids ~ Gear box, Brakes, Clutch, Power Steering, add $30

Surely you won't find a distributor cap and rotor on any car built after c.1988?
    Even a Skoda ;)

Well given I can find 00 cars sans O2 sensors, and post 96 sans CAT or EGR, anything is possible. U tell me when the last Carburettor was driven, like the snakes from your, Green Shores. :D:D

OR you save $30.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

AMurphy wrote:
    Well given I can find 00 cars sans O2 sensors, and post 96 sans CAT or EGR, anything is possible. U tell me when the last Carburettor was driven, like the snakes from your, Green Shores. :D:D

OR you save $30.

lol, carbs have been out since maybe the last of the peugeot 205s and im covinced that was mid ninetees.

as far as ignition leads go, they are CRAZY money especially for genuine ones, i bought some spurious ones and they were worse than the old ones with 100000 miles on them. they were sparking to ground bypassing the plug within a thousand miles, funny they were branded 'hot leads' :D

expect to pay 100 euro minimum for genuine leads!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Bond-007 wrote:
    Hi,

Anyone know how much it will cost for a service on a 96 skoda felica? 114K on the clock. How much would a main stealer charge?

could be 150 euro could be 2 grand. its an open answer. just ask them to do the basic service and call u if they think anything else needs doing and make a list which u will consider. id say a basic service costs 150 euro at a skoda dealer.

really ur car probably needs at those miles (and knowing irish cars dont get serviced to well), brake discs/pads, tyres, shocks, timing belt, tensioners, water pump, gearbox drain/refill, oil and filter change, air filter change, pollin filter change, plug leads replaced, exaust replaced, various sensors replaced like o2, maf etc, maybe a new clutch and maybe a gearbox possibly,possibly engine mounts replaced, suspension bushes replaced, exaust replaced, rear brake drums and shoes replaced, full valet, and a wax.

as u can see thats why i wouldnt buy an irish car sans maintainence records :D as u can see it all adds up to more than the value of the car. do urself a favour and change the oil and filter tourself and air filter and spark plugs, and for safety sake have your breaks checked at kwikfit or take the tyres off and do it yourself. the rest just keep drivng it till something fails and replace as u go along ;)

edit/ probably for safety have someone change the brake fluid also, maybe kwikfit do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would not bother getting that car serviced at a main dealer. They will probably rip you off and more than likely end up being looked by some spotty teenage apprentice who has been working for them for 2 weeks.

I would take it to an independant back street mechanic once the car is out of warranty, talk to your family, friends or work collegues, someone is bound to know or recommend one to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Bond-007 wrote:
    Anyone know how much it will cost for a service on a 96 skoda felica? 114K on the clock.
    Expect to pay 150-200 for a full service with check-over & tune-up using manufacturer's parts.
    Bond-007 wrote:
    How much would a main stealer charge?
    Dont even think about it.
    You dont want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks for the advice lads. I see advance pit stop do services, are they ok to use?

lomb wrote:
    lol, carbs have been out since maybe the last of the peugeot 205s and im covinced that was mid ninetees.

expect to pay 100 euro minimum for genuine leads!

Mid 90's, I'll go with that. Cannot remember what I was renting in the mid 90's and or if it was injected, snorted or simply possesed.

Wires; U could be more than correct there. Some Toyotas have the wires molded onto the dist cap, and they are expensive even here.
    So depending on what you drive...

Agreed, Aftermarket wires can be dicy, unless you are going for something like a MSD ignition setup, which is a hell of a lot more than OEM.
    Good to change them every 100K at least.
    Btw, insure the keep the wires away from metal. I noticed on one set I installed, one wire started arcing where it was resting lightly against the dipstick. Problem solved, don't worry.
    btw, get the correct plugs also. I have seen one car where 4 different plugs were used and none of them correct, fouling resulted in poor running.

Advertisement