Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn today - what happened?

• 13-08-2005 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

One-nil up inside 18 minutes, I was expecting us to go on and hammer the Hammers (excuse the very poor pun!). Very poor showing though, the defence seems to have fallen apart without Ryan Nelsen playing and Kuqi and Bellamy managed little up front.

I was expecting at least a top ten finish from Hughes' first full season in charge but I think its going to be yet another year of scrapping away near the bottom for Rovers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

They played a good Wham side is all.

People are going to be surprised by West Ham IMO, they will be good at home, and I expect them to survive comfortably.

Blackburn are at best a mid-table side, there'll be ups and downs along the way this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hughes had made us a very hard team to play against last year though. At the start of the year under Sounness we were losing games three and four nil but under Hughes we held teams like United and Tottenham to nil all draws.

I was expecting a big improvement with Bellamy up front too. He may not score too many but he creates a lot of openings for others. And Morten Gamst Pedersen looks a class act on the left wing and chips in with a few goals.

Hopefully the team can get things going right next week against Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Hammers have a strong team good players like Etherington, Reo-cocker and Sheringham, they should stay up and will give all the mid table teams something to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dickov is a scumbag and should get at least 6 game ban, WH played with 5 attackers so they set out their stall, good plan by Pardew attack with Sheringham at home and away play 2 big lads up front.

Should keep them safe as long as they have a fit squad. Goal of the day Reo Coker...it was PES like...

kdjac

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lemlin wrote:
    One-nil up inside 18 minutes, I was expecting us to go on and hammer the Hammers (excuse the very poor pun!). Very poor showing though, the defence seems to have fallen apart without Ryan Nelsen playing and Kuqi and Bellamy managed little up front.

I was expecting at least a top ten finish from Hughes' first full season in charge but I think its going to be yet another year of scrapping away near the bottom for Rovers.
    You've decided this after one game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

First day of the season always produces some surprising results. I would not look into it anymore than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

West Ham were better on the day, simple as that.

Dickov's challenge was an absolute joke. Mark Hughes was unhappy at criticism of their playing style last season, but surely can't defend things like that.

You've decided this after one game?

Some pundits were tipping Blackburn for Europe and I was hoping that we had an outside chance. After all, like I pointed out above, Hughes had tightened up our defence and we have players like Bellamy now to score the goals that we missed so badly last season.

Fact is though that if we can't beat the promoted teams we're in big trouble. West Ham looked a much better team today. It may only be the first day of the season but, on that display, Blackburn are in big trouble this year, much as it pains my heart to say it.

We're going to really have to lift ourselves for Fulham next week. They're one of the weakest teams in the PL, as far as I'm concerned, so if we can't get a result against them at home, then alot of questions are going to be asked.

Lemlin wrote:
    Some pundits were tipping Blackburn for Europe

They were? First I heard.

Yes Blackburn are a solid side, and yes Bellamy is a huge improvement up front. But don't forget, Boro bought Yakubu, Bolton bought Borgetti (and Fat Sam seems to have the midas touch), Everton got Davies/Neville/Arteta/Koldrup, Spurs got Davids/Routledge/Tainio. Blackburn have at least two seasons, and five or six decent signings before they'll challenge those contenders for UEFA Cup places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

KdjaC wrote:
    Dickov is a scumbag and should get at least 6 game ban

amen, that challenge was absolutely crazy. What the hell was he thinking. If he had made proper contact, he would have snapped your man in two. And then he tried to act as if it was accidental

• Advertisement

What everbody failed to see was the one siddedness of the Ref. Savage was taken out of it on the side line when the ball was out of play. The ref saw it and warned the west ham player ? ?? Savage had done the same thing earlier and got a yellow card. Rovers Defence was poor. Getting rid of Johannsson and Short was a stupid thing to do.
    Last season Rovers were hard to play against but thats because we tackeled hard and defended. We are a poorer squad then last season . Kuqi is not Premiership and Bellamy is no good unless he has a decent strike partner. Alot more signings are needed.

Yes Blackburn are a solid side, and yes Bellamy is a huge improvement up front. But don't forget, Boro bought Yakubu, Bolton bought Borgetti (and Fat Sam seems to have the midas touch), Everton got Davies/Neville/Arteta/Koldrup, Spurs got Davids/Routledge/Tainio. Blackburn have at least two seasons, and five or six decent signings before they'll challenge those contenders for UEFA Cup places.

Blackburn didn't buy big in pre-season other than Bellamy but last January we got Nelsen and Mokoena, who have both been huge additions to the side. We also got Savage who has yet to prove himself, and who I'm not so sure about.

As well as that, Morten Gamst Pedersen has started to come good (and looks a great player to me) and getting Steven Reid back was like getting a new player.

The one thing we needed last season was a good striker and we've got Bellamy now. Kuqi scored 19 goals in the Championship last season so maybe he'll be able to knock a few in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

With scumbag players such as Dickov, Bellamy, Savage and Emerton, I think Blackburn will have a lot more red cards and suspensions to deal with this season. They are earning a reputation as a nasty, dirty side....

With those type of players Blackburn are going to get nowhere. A clearout would be best for them in the longterm.

Just my 2c.

Lemlin wrote:
    but last January we got Nelsen and Mokoena

Household names the two...
    Lemlin wrote:
    As well as that, Morten Gamst Pedersen has started to come good (and looks a great player to me) and getting Steven Reid back was like getting a new player.

Agree with both of those comments.

I'm sorry mate, don't want to have a go, but Blackburn are at the stage that Bolton were at three seasons ago. Like I said, a couple of seasons and 5/6 more signings and they'll do well. Hughes is a good manager, so given time he'll deliver the goods.

You have to face the fact that away trips for Blackburn will be tricky all season, against every team. After seeing Wigan today, and West Ham yesterday, its by no means certain that the three promoted sides fit the bill as this season' wipping boys. Hell, Chelsea left it very late today...

Household names the two.

Since when did a player have to be a household name to be any good? Nelsen was voted into numerous "best buy" opinion polls at the end of the season and Mokoena proved to be the defensive midfielder that we need to shield the back four.

They may not be household names but they certainly added a whole new dimension to the team.

I agree with you that Blackburn need a few new players though. We definitely need a left back to replace Matteo and a striker to partner Bellamy would be nice.

I think its more like 3/4 signings than 5/6. We still have one of the best goalkeepers in the Premiership, two solid central defenders, a strong midfield and one highly rated Premier League striker.

Lemlin wrote:
    Since when did a player have to be a household name to be any good? Nelsen was voted into numerous "best buy" opinion polls at the end of the season and Mokoena proved to be the defensive midfielder that we need to shield the back four.

Those polls come from the same source that put Blackburn as European contenders?

You're an optimist by nature, right?

Friedel is a good keeper, but I rate him no better than Cech, Van de Saar, Given, or Robinson, and on a par with Taylor or Sorensen.

Two solid central defenders? Your back four yesterday consisted of Neill, Todd, Mokoena, and Matteo. No better than average the lot.

Good midfield? Emerton has never performed to a satisfactory standard, the nicest thing I can say about Savage is he wears his heart on his sleeve, Reid's time at Blackburn has been hampered by injuries, so the juries out. Pedersen looks good though.

Forwards? Taken a chance on both Bellamy and Kuqi. One's a trouble maker, the other an unproven entity.

Added to all that is the toerag element. Savage, Dickov, and Bellamy will all attract suspensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Those polls come from the same source that put Blackburn as European contenders?

You're an optimist by nature, right?

Friedel is a good keeper, but I rate him no better than Cech, Van de Saar, Given, or Robinson, and on a par with Taylor or Sorensen.

Two solid central defenders? Your back four yesterday consisted of Neill, Todd, Mokoena, and Matteo. No better than average the lot.

Good midfield? Emerton has never performed to a satisfactory standard, the nicest thing I can say about Savage is he wears his heart on his sleeve, Reid's time at Blackburn has been hampered by injuries, so the juries out. Pedersen looks good though.

Forwards? Taken a chance on both Bellamy and Kuqi. One's a trouble maker, the other an unproven entity.

Added to all that is the toerag element. Savage, Dickov, and Bellamy will all attract suspensions.

Actually seen them in a few places as rated as outside european contenders! sure according to all the great people Everton where going down last season! remember wat happened there! NEVER listen to pundits! :D

Anyway in regards to Blackburn already had discussion with Lemlin in regards ti this, I just dont think they have a goal scorer! Bellamy is a class player and I have always backed him up on every thread in here because I believe he is a great player and people get the idea he "attract"'s yellow card but if you check he actually doesnt get that many.....ok he mouths off a bit at times but as seen most manager will take this because of all of his qualities!! except Souness who is a f**kin ***** ***** ***** and is actually to blame for the state Blackburn is because he fell out with alot of there decent players and sold them off.......

But they still have the prob where he will only score 10-15 times tis season! Kuqi is a man I hate for the way he treated Shef Wed! Jansen has had a good preseason but still needs to show it in PL since that accident!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Shamrok wrote:
    First day of the season always produces some surprising results. I would not look into it anymore than that.

Totally agree with this statement. Look at last year Everton lost 4-1 to Arsenal and i would have put Everton down to get relegated after seeing that display !!!

f you notice I said back two, the back two I meant were Nelsen and Todd, who last season kept teams like Man Utd, Tottenham and Middlesborough scoreless. Mokoena usually plays in midfield. Matteo definitely needs to be replaced. Neill could be too.

I'm not sure on Savage myself. But Blackburn have David Thompson waiting to return from injury properly. He's a player who was in the England squad and had just won a player of the month award until successive injuries hampered his progress.

If he got back to fitness, then Blackburn could play him and Pedersen on the wings, with Reid and Mokoena in the middle. Mokoena proved himself last season as a holding midfielder and Reid is finally coming out of the run of successive injuries that Thompson has suffered from too. Emerton has not proved himself consistently. One day he can be fantastic, the next almost invisible. He has had long enough to adapt and its about time he lost his place.

Bellamy would have the perfect foil in Jansen were it not for injuries yet again. Like Thompson, Jansen was another man involved with England, after scoring 20 goals in the PL, until he went on a trip to Italy and fell off a scooter. He spent a week or two in a coma and hasn't been the same since.

Basically, Sounness was to blame for selling players like Cole and Dunn (although it now looks that we were lucky to get rid of Dunny with all his injuries), but Blackburn have not had a lot of luck with injuries. Barry Ferguson arrived and broke his leg just as he was getting into his stride, as well as Jansen and Thompson.

Hopefully this will be an injury free season for Rovers. It doesn't look good so far though. Jansen was having a superb pre-season until he was injured by a bad tackle in a game against Espanyol.

I'd still hope for a top ten finish from Rovers if they can remain injury free though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

yeah Blackburn pre season were brilliant, the 4-0 trashing of Espayol a highlight (with Reid scoring the opener<?) West Ham def arent goin to roll over and get relegated this yr, showed figthing spirit goin a goal down and then playing really well to pull 3 back.

Hopefully a hiccup for Rovers, hope Bellamy and Kuqi will click and rack up goals. Hughes should do well again this year,(who actually has people mangagement skills) way better manager than Sounes.

• Advertisement

Just what Blackburn needed - Bellamy picks up an injury. He's missing for the next two weeks at least and, with Dickov suspended, I'd imagine we'll revert to a 4-4-1-1 with Morten Gamst Pedersen slotting in behind Kuqi.

Hopefully MGP can start knocking in a few from midfield like he did last season. He's a real talent and I think he can be bigger than Bellamy.

Advertisement