Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hemingway?

Options
  • 13-08-2005 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I've always wanted to read something by him, but never knew what. Where should I start? I always hear about For Whom The Bell Tolls, but I'm kinda put off because I'm not really interested in war stuff, and I know nothing about the Spanish Civil War. The same goes for A Farewell To Arms. Are they about other things then the war, or should I choose something different?

A Moveable feast, The Sun Also Rises and Old Man & The Sea sound pretty cool and I've heard good things about them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

The old man and the sea is a great introduction to Hemingway. Its a short read and you will get a feel for the author which will help you decide if you want to read more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

I've heard it's a bit slow and boring compared to the others though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

Only read a few books of his - I find them a little hard to engage with... But, The Sun Also Rises is good, so is the Old Man and the Sea. I liked To Have and Have Not the most of all his works which I have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I found it the Old Man and the Sea quite brilliant ... but it all comes down to taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

I think Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises is a great introduction to Hemingway. It was the first of his that I read and it left me dying to read more. I was in Spain at the time when I read it, around some of the places mentioned in the book which made the whole novel more real. It's a rather classy book.

The Old Man and The Sea is a fantastic book but I would still recommend some of his other material as better to begin with. The Snows of Kilimanjaro was a great selection of short stories. I haven't got my hands on For Whom The Bell Tolls so I can't discuss that yet. There are many more of his that I really enjoyed. Maybe go to a book shop and read the backs of the books and choose one that you think of most interest to you. It's always better to choose yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Feenikusu

I hated The Old Man and the Sea. I found it pretty boring and hard to read, although the story is good.
    And I didn't know half of the words there, but that shouldn't be a problem for you. But that made it even harder for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I have read 'A Farewell to Arms'...

At the start I found it a bit 'slow' to get going, but I think by the end I enjoyed it.... It was 'OK'. Not the best book I have ever read, but I wouldn't tell someone not to buy it...

I first read Michael Palin's 'Hemmingway Adventue' before I had read any of his books, and it gave me a good feel for the author and his life and I think reading his books after this, they made a lot more 'sense' to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

you should read For Whom the Bell Tolls and then dig up the book club discussion thread which I see has been unstickied. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I read The Old Man and the Sea, found it incredible. It was so clear, and I loved the monologues. It'll only take a day to read, it's really short and you can't go wrong with it to start you off imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

Hemmingway is brilliant.

Old Man of The Sea, A Farewell To Arms, and For Whom The Bell Tolls are absolutley unbelievable. The man was a genius.

• Advertisement
Advertisement