Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many lessons have you had

Options
  • 13-08-2005 10:28pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering about this topic lately

How many lessons have you had? and have you completed the amount of lessons you set out for yourself and then after being on the road a few weeks booked more lessons...

Same question to those who felt they had enough lessons and stopped short of getting all the lessons they originally intended to get?

And how many would you deem neccessary?

And now would you consider yourself confident in your ability to drive (in awareness and proper driving ettiquette) or bordering on cocky, and constantly scrutinizing other road users?

Apparently the irish are some of the most reckless drivers....
    In your opinion Is it just a general lack of ability or is it just some trying to see what they can get away with on the open road? be it cockiness or just plain lack of attention and impatient..

on a side note tailgating is one of the most common occurances from what i can see, its pretty damn annoying and does take your attention away from other things

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

ive had 13, insurance co wouldnt quote me until i had 10 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I had 11 but first day on the road I felt i needed more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I got some from my mom first, I refused to pay €30 to be told how to start and stop the car, so a few trips around a car park at first.
    I work dead early in the morning, so my mom used to come with me along the dual carraigeway (there's very little chance of me going wrong) on the way to work, no way was I driving home, cause there'd be other cars on the road!
    I had about 8 lessons when the instructor told me to wait until I got a date for my driving test before I needed anymore, although I felt I needed more, it's just confidence really...
    Best of luck! you won't know how you managed without a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

I had nine lessons over a few weeks and the instructor told me to hold off on taking anymore lessons untill i had access to a car to practice in.
    I booked another couple of lessons when i had the car and had been driving for a while to make sure everything was up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think I did about 20 lessons when I was 17 before my mother would stick me down on her policy and let me use her car. As one other poster said, it's all about building up a confidence and a 'mental database' of what other idiots can and will do. I'm 27 and still learning, everyday will bring something new!

The problem with lessons in Ireland is that there are no qualifications or training required to allow one to teach others to drive in a professional capacity, so we have some quite appaling 'instructors' out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

2 official, some off my mother and brother who used to be an instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Had ten lessons myself and while I am more confident on the road, I know have a good bit to learn yet!

From what I can see, experience and constant awareness is the only way you'll get there but it's well worth it.....I love driving now even though I was terrified at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

had a few lessons with my mum to learn the basics, then i took 6 lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i had 15 the insurance wouldnt quote me till i had ten, but the instructor said i was quite confident and said he would sign the form after my 6th lesson, but i got 15 anyways. Didnt get the insurance afterall twas mad expensive.
    must do some more now, since its being a year, and the insurance will probably be a bit cheaper. hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Optimus

I had 5(I think) in about 4 months, 2 of them where double lesseons and then I took my test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

There was another thread on this not so long ago, you might find some answers there too.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=258888

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

I was driving on my dads car for 6months. Then i bought my own car and being driving the past year.
    I had 1 lesson, just when i bought my car, cost me a whopping E35 and the **** wouldnt discount me for having my own car or even if i booked 5 lessons off him. So i had enough of that ****. :)

Ive being driving the past year nearly now and my test is next month, so im gonna book 2 * 2hrs lessons with an instructor that helped my sister pass 1st time. E30 she charges. They`re a tad expensive, overpaid monkeys in my opinion.

12 and 15 lessons is a bit over the top isnt it? Well, isuppose if they`re literally showing you everything from scratch and dont have driving access in between lessons, but 15????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Sparky_S wrote:
    i had 15 the insurance wouldnt quote me till i had ten, but the instructor said i was quite confident and said he would sign the form after my 6th lesson, but i got 15 anyways. Didnt get the insurance afterall twas mad expensive.
    must do some more now, since its being a year, and the insurance will probably be a bit cheaper. hopefully.

what "form", who issues the "form"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I did 17 lessons with ISM over the course of about 3 months. Some of the lessons were done back to back i.e. double lessons. I did almost no driving between lessons. Never drove unaccompanied.

Did the test very soon after the lessons finished. Breezed through the test and made no mistakes at all during it.

That was back in 1996. Can't remember what I paid for lessons but I got a good deal on them because I booked them all at the start.

IMO the above is the proper way to learn how to drive. And it wasn't as if I was a raw beginner as I had been driving in fields since I was 13. However driving in fields and driving safely on the road/passing the test are two different things :) Unfortunately a lot of Irish drivers don't seem to have grasped this concept and are really only fit to drive in a field :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

ive had 5 so far, id say another few and ill be flyin, im pretty confident on the road, i just panic if i do something wrong. what insurance company dosnt quote ya untill yav had 10 lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

that dj markus post was from me, forgot to log him out!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I had one before my first test, had been driving for a year but thought it might be a good idea to get an instructor to check me over. He obviously didn't give a crap, so I didn't go back. Failed. Passed the second time. Can I get a refund?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Had 2 One the week before the test and one the morning of the test Passed it 1st time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hmm I had 10 with ISM over about 3/4 months. Purely cause I got voucher for 5 from my parents for my 17th which I didn't use til I was nearly 18 and voucher from my Granny for 5 for my 18th. The other 2 were a few months apart cause I've been driving with my parents and wanted to make sure I wasn't picking up any really bad habits. I'd say I'm confident enough but I do still get stressed very easily! Also my parking is still rubbish but it's getting there slowly :) I won't have any more lessons til a few days before my test, my instructor told me there was no need

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭whimsey

Think I did 15-20 to get my full license first time since then I have done about 6 to get my advanced test. Still thinking of doing some more if I can find anyone who has there ROSPA Gold in Dublin (car).

As others have said every day I learn something new. When I did the test I think
    it was too easy and its hard to believe there is no motor driving on the test !.

Regards
    Whimsey

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

I got some from my mom first, I refused to pay €30 to be told how to start and stop the car, so a few trips around a car park at first.
    I work dead early in the morning, so my mom used to come with me along the dual carraigeway (there's very little chance of me going wrong) on the way to work, no way was I driving home, cause there'd be other cars on the road!
    I had about 8 lessons when the instructor told me to wait until I got a date for my driving test before I needed anymore, although I felt I needed more, it's just confidence really...
    Best of luck! you won't know how you managed without a car!

Thanks, but ive had a car for a while now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

djmarkus wrote:
    ive had 5 so far, id say another few and ill be flyin, im pretty confident on the road, i just panic if i do something wrong. what insurance company dosnt quote ya untill yav had 10 lessons?

axa , at least thats what they told me

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

three pre-tests the week before my test (and passed it first time), it was a looong time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

2 lessons and one before my driving test(4 years later). Passed first time.

Advertisement