Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy employer playing tax games

Options
  • 13-08-2005 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Half an hour ago I finished a summer job in a shop (a mini supermarket)

I was working there above board (I told them my my PPS number and got a printed pay slip every week in an envelope with cash).

But guy that runs the place is a bit of a chancer, I won't have another job until next summer and he knows it.

I'm worried that he will keep me on his books as if I was still working and pocket the cash himself every week (increasing his take home pay without anyone knowing)

Now I suppose whatever he does I shouldn't care because I now have no link with the place but is this possible and is there any way I can check if I am being "employed" and by who? Maybe I get some statement from the govt every year? and I could then see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

P45 -- Every employee must this upon termination of employment. You need to have it anyway for your next job. Just ask him for it as by laww he must give it to you. Then you are officially off all of his books according to the taxman!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Will he have a P45 in a drawer in his office from the moment I started or must he ask now for it to be posted from the revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

if he were to do this, you would have a years worth of prsi stamps...could be handy when claim any sort of benefits (dole,dental etc) from the socail welfare in years to come...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Call the revenue on 1890 20 30 70 in a couple of weeks and see if you're still on the books, they'll be able to tell you when your last contribution was.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ck1

If he provided you with printed payslips then he probably is using some form of payroll system, Take5, Sage, etc. These systems produce P45 upon termination and as gibo stated you are legally entitled to one as soon as you leave. I would not be too concerned if I was you with waiting a little while couple of weeks for one but not too long. Many small business like this do not actually do their own payroll, it is generally outsouced or done by their accountants. They are the ones who hold the P45's.

The main reason for my reply is to give you a little tip.
    Because you provided him with your PPS number when you started you would automatically get tax credits and a weekly cut off point for higher rate tax, for the first four weeks anyway, €31 tax credit with a €566 cut off point for higher rate tax. Single persons tax credits for 2005 are actually €54.80 p.w. (€2,850 per annum) but you would only have got these if you applied to the Revneue or he applied by issuing a P46 to them. Anyway, your original message suggested that you only worked for a short time and therefore you are more than likely entitled to some if not all of the tax you paid back - this is obviouly dependant on what pay you actually received while employed. You need your P45 to do this, just sent it to your tax office at the end of 2005 and they will send you a cheque. Good luck !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭dublinguy2004

vector wrote:
    Half an hour ago I finished a summer job in a shop (a mini supermarket)

I was working there above board (I told them my my PPS number and got a printed pay slip every week in an envelope with cash).

But guy that runs the place is a bit of a chancer, I won't have another job until next summer and he knows it.

I'm worried that he will keep me on his books as if I was still working and pocket the cash himself every week (increasing his take home pay without anyone knowing)

Now I suppose whatever he does I shouldn't care because I now have no link with the place but is this possible and is there any way I can check if I am being "employed" and by who? Maybe I get some statement from the govt every year? and I could then see?

Spot on about the P45.

Also, make sure you get all your holiday pay entitlements. All workers (including part-time/summer workers) are entitled to holiday pay as part of their statuatory employment rights. So assuming you worked all summer and took no paid days off, you are entitled to 6% (I think) of the total number of days you worked.

I'm almost finished being a student myself and I have had many odd jobs in my time. About 2 years ago I found out about holiday pay: I rang up the tax office and got a list of all my previous employers and zapped each and every one of them a nice little letter informing them that they failed to pay me my due holiday pay entitlements. I raked in about €400 in the process.

Advertisement