Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Films on the TV - (mis)use of ratios

• 13-08-2005 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

I just flicked on Godfather Part 11, RTE are showing it in 4:3 ratio. Why??????
    Coppola and Gordon Willis went to great effort to creat those widescreen compositions and they get blown away as RTE can't be arsed to get a correct 1.85:1 version.

Does this sort of thing bother you, cos it drives me nuts. I won't watch a film which I know was made for "epic" viewing where half the image is missing.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

It really annoys me when there's feckin black lines taking up half of the bloody screen. Laziness on behalf on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

grimloch wrote:
    It really annoys me when there's feckin black lines taking up half of the bloody screen.

Sorry if this sounds sexist (and I'll be happy if I'm incorrect) but are you by any chance female? It's just that I've heard plenty of people complain about those 'black lines' but to date not one of them has been male.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

It really annoys me when the feck up the Sergio Leone films, because the widescreen shot is very important in these films, and they are so much better that way.

Of course i have them all on dvd now, so its not so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Pigman II wrote:
    Sorry if this sounds sexist (and I'll be happy if I'm incorrect) but are you by any chance female? It's just that I've heard plenty of people complain about those 'black lines' but to date not one of them has been male.

Thats actually excactly correct.

Pigman II wrote:

No, I'm all man, the black lines do annoy me, I'll still watch the film but tbh they're something I could do without.

Although I prefer widescreen to things actually being chopped off. Especially when its just RTE/other stations being lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

er I sense some confusion here - when I said half the image is missing I meant half the film image, not that half the telly screen is black. Thats how widescreen should be shown on a 4:3 ratio tv, not by simply using a cropped ratio or "pan and scan" print.

Mike.

Yeah, just copped that a few minutes ago. That's much worse than any black lines.

My last post I was actually talking about the chopping bits off although it doesn't at all look that way, me accidentally put the second sentence before the third whereas it should have been put after it.

I'll just edit that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

That's why I don't watch TV. It's all about the DVD now.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Thats what i meant too, they chop off either side of the film, which is very important in Leone films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Quinnsey

Interestingly the 4:3 versions shown on RTE (which appear to be the new restorations) open up the vertical space a little, while still cropping a little off the sides. It looks to me like the films might have been framed with a hard matte to 1.66, perhaps with European projection in mind.

There seems to be no logic to RTE’s letterboxing choices (I don’t think logic and RTE go together). They show a film like The Terminator, which was shot with a hard matte panned and scanned into 4:3, but then letterbox a film like Sleepy Hollow, which is open matte and would have shown more information in 4:3.

TG4 are better although still far from perfect. When the doubled For a Few Dollars More with The Good the Bad and the Ugly early on this year, they showed Dollars in it’s proper 2.35:1 techniscope ratio but then showed a 4:3 P&S version of Ugly. Worse than that is their penchant for showing afternoon classics in a colourized version that looks like it was done by a kid with crayons… bleh, haven’t seen that since the early 90’s. Thankfully their “Le Film”s are presented properly with L’amour L’apreis Midi in it’s proper 4:3, Maitresse letterboxed in 1.66 and last Friday La Vallee in 2.35:1.

• Advertisement

Here’s a comparison for anyone who cares:

god1.jpg

Widescreen DVD

god2.jpg

4:3 RTE Broadcast

Both are quite acceptable IMHO.

The worst thing above is the fecking DOG!

Mike.

You’re right. How do we petition RTE to kill the DOG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

it looks to me that the RTE broadcast has nothing chopped off on the sides as i can see everything in both pics there, its just the pic i slightly more squashed and there is more of the pic vertically in the RTE one aswell. it looks more like the widescreen dvd is cropped at the top and bottom or am i wrong?

There is actually more information on the sides of the DVD, even if it’s not instantly obvious from the above pic you will notice it on direct comparison. Look a little closer.

It seems it was filmed in 1.66 meaning you lose a little, gain a little on both versions. The DVD is how it would have been projected in American theatres. Robocop is another example of a movie filmed in this way.

None of them squished BTW :confused:

It was filmed in 1.85:1 so nearly 2:1, many DVDs come with more than one aspect ratio, and some transfers change. In the Godfather collection is ratio is 1.78:1 not that you'd notice the diff really. Anyways 1.85:1 is almost 16:9 the widescreen TV standard. So thats what RTE should use.

4:3 v 16:9
    aspect_ratio_compare.jpg

1.85:1
    aspect_1.85a.jpg

Mike.

Here's one that shows the loss/gain better:

god3.jpg

Widescreen DVD

god4.jpg

4:3 RTE Broadcast

mike65 wrote:
    It was filmed in 1.85:1 so nearly 2:1

Just to be pedantic, it wasn't filmed in 1.85, rather that was the intended US projection ratio.

I agree though that ideally it should be presented in 16:9 to preserve the theatrical exhibition and be widescreen telly compatible. But it's not quite 4:3 Ben Hur on bank holiday :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

What about 2.35:1 aspect ratio's?

Meh? What about them?

Advertisement