Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City vs Shelbourne live on RTE 2 Monday night

• 13-08-2005 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

The big games just keep coming for the Cork City.

Djurgardens..Thursday
    Shels..on Monday
    Derry City..the Friday

City are missing George O'Callaghan with suspension but they were without him in Sweden also and they did their job. Shels have Alan Reynolds(former Cork player) back from injury and he is likely to make his appearence.

People have been talking about "last chance saloons" for the past month with Shels but this is "the last chance saloon" :D . They have to win. A draw will do fine for City.

These are the 2 best teams in the country on paper(sorry Derry fans) so it should be good game but Cork are notoriusly bad in front of the cameras.

Who will ever forget that 0-0 on TV3 on the opeing day 2 seasons ago. lol ;)

If the weather is good expect 6000+ at the 'Cross and all those people around the country can actually see what an Eicom League match should always look like. :)

ie. Crowds, good football...etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

When will non-Shels fans accept that it IS over for Shels!!??? Glad to see its on the box though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

thank god its on the telly.. we owe CCFC one and 3 points will do nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lads, this is no "last chance saloon", Shels were in there a few weeks ago, didn't get their round in and went out with a whimper.

Shels won't win the league, they won't win tomorrow night ffs.

I agree, it should[i/] be a good game, and a good "advertisement" for the eL, Shels will go there to attack and score goals, City will bve happy to soak up the pressure and hit the dodgy Shels defence whenever an error occurs, which in the case of the Shels defence is about five times a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Our "last chance saloon" has been and gone. If we can string a few good results together, we will hopefully catch up with Derry for second place, dependant on their form. Realistically we need to win every game. But the title is either going very far North or South.

It's hard to watch probably the best team (in terms of players) playing so poorly and as seansouth said "went out with a whimper". 4 losses, not the end of the world. The amount of games we've been winning to throw away 2 points for draws is what has cost us dearly this year IMO. Coupled with the very poor first halves we were turning in earlier in the season, handing the opposition an advantage, and then trying to claw it back with good football in the second halves. :(

Both teams are poor when the live cameras are out, I'm hoping for 3 points to close in on Derry and keep the hopes of European football next year alive!

1-2 is my prediction, CCFC not having O'Callaghan will aid the Shelbourne cause. But CCFC are playing such good football my predicition is really based on blind hope and optimism. G'wan the Shels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    It's hard to watch probably the best team (in terms of players) playing so poorly

On paper yes, but that ain't worth the paper its written on... ;)

Cork performances have been of a consistently high standard, the sad fact is they're the best team this season.

• Advertisement

This time tomorrow shel supporters will be laughing all the way back to Tolka :D

Fingers crossed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I do think we could win tomorrow but it wont matter as far as the title is concerned for us.

However, it is still a huge game for us. Realistically, we can't win the title every year. However second place is huge. Between the new prize money and TV money plus the Setanta cup we'll probably earn more money this season than last if we finish second. The UEFA cup then is a good competition to enter, no champions league but still. Cork got a terrible, terrible draw in the second round yet still look like they could progress to the first round proper. If we finish second we should be aiming for the same, from there there's always a bit of luck between you and the group stages. Also you have a chance to build your club co-efficent up which can help in future. So really, second place is no disaster for us. You can't win it every year and it wont exactly cripple us to finish second.

Third is a different story though. Less prize money but mainly the inter toto cup is just miles off the other two, just not in the same league. We would also be without the Setanta cup, we MUST finish in the top two. I would bite someones hand off if they offered me second now. Which is why we need a result tonight, put pressure on Derry who themselves will face Cork on friday and are looking a bit shaky latley.

Also, tonights game is big simply as it's Shels v Cork. Not a historical rivalry but it seems to have really built up recently between fans, officals and players, sort of like Arsenal Man U, not a traditional rivalry and not two local teams but one that has really emerged recently. So that alone makes every game between us a big one. It should be a good one.

Come on Shels!

Great post.

Got me fired up! Come on the Shels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

We're playing for second and badly need the points - come on shels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Should be a good game. Thank God its on tv. I reckon it will be a draw but think Shels have to win if they want to keep any hope alive of winning the league.

Looking forward to tonight now :)

Yeah I agree totally with Slash/Ed there. Second is a good spot for us. UEFA Cup is not the Champions League but its something we can do well in. Its virtually impossible to win the league each year and if we came out blazing from the blocks next season then 2nd position would do me.

3rd position is a diaster. Its as simple as that.

As for the game, its going to be huge, one of the most important league games of the season. Should Shels win it keeps our title hopes alive (just look that the 2000/2001 season) and puts pressure back on DCFC and CCFC. A win for Cork effective puts a final nail in our title hopes. I imagine it will be a high drama game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

soma wrote:
    We're playing for second and badly need the points - come on shels!

theres only 3 points between second and top, so we can do it, gonna be tough though! but maybe i'm just a dreamer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Above all else this should be a cracking game, thats if shels dont resort to kicking lumps out of anything that moves..;

City, top of the table, could go 6 points clear with a win, with a 6 pointer to come on friday against derry.

Shelbourne could revive their season with all three points, and both teams are going to be well fired up and ready to go come kick off.

There'll be a big crowd, about 4-5,000, a red hot atmosphere and a good travelling support should make it a cracking night on the terraces..

this should be a great advertisment for the eircom league, and a game i'm really looking forward to..

Roll on 7.30!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

been waiting for this one for weeks! can't wait to get to the cross tonight! :D

i reckon city will win by the odd goal in 3, with fenn and o'donovan scoring....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Good luck to Cork tonight and here's hoping they win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Watch out Ollies About!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

VinnyL wrote:
    theres only 3 points between second and top

the difference is Derry are liable to drop alot more points than Cork during the run in I'd say, and have been doing so already.

Slash/ED wrote:
    the difference is Derry are liable to drop alot more points than Cork during the run in I'd say, and have been doing so already.

bingo.

jubbly wrote:
    Yeah I agree totally with Slash/Ed there. Second is a good spot for us. UEFA Cup is not the Champions League but its something we can do well in.

It's defo a case of me "making the best of the situation" but if we qualify for the UEFA cup it will be a good salvaging of the season as that competition is far more attractive a prospect than it used to be, thanks to the addition of a group phase.

Prior to that, I feel there was very little in the way of 'attainable goals' for EL clubs, i.e. they were never gonna go thru all the rounds to the latter stages. But now the aims are far more like the CL with the prospect of a big name draw if you pass the 1st two stages plus a lucrative group stage.

What's great is that cork are within touching distance of the 1st round proper even after a nightmare draw in the 2nd Qual round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I'd be happy for Cork to win tonight, as Shels are currently in a scrap for third, and if Derry implode, either Bohs or Shels could still go on to nick second. Shels do have a great squad on paper, but they have numerous problems, to do with motivation, discipline, organisation, and morale. I cannot see how these problems can have been solved since the Drogheda game, and so I cannot see how they can expect to get anything out of this game. Prediction 2-1/3-1 Cork.

2-1/3-1 to cork my ass. we have the better team, and squad for that matter, its just that events havent been kind to us. Time to knuckle down and turn this season around. Shelbourne will at least come away with a draw if not all 3 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

jubbly wrote:
    we have the better team, and squad for that matter,

Yes... yes you do... which is why you're in the situation you're in.. circumstances my ass...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

jubbly wrote:
    2-1/3-1 to cork my ass. we have the better team, and squad for that matter, its just that events havent been kind to us.

Cop on, your own players, manager and Chief Executive haven't been kind to you, more like. Your manager has led a reckless and needless signing policy, your Chief Executive continually undermines the club with his animalistic antics, and your players are not earning their high wages. "Events", I love it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

we have the players, we just dont have the cohesion. i think we were a better side last year, the new additions havnt really added anything, and fenlons insistance on not playing wes and ndo for no reason frustrates the hell outta me!

and the recent events have been completely blown out of proportion for gods sake, anyone can see that. at least our fans are well behaved unlike a few other EL clubs

Things have been blown out of all proportion. CCFC supporters are still living off Dolan style fantatical intrest in Shelbourne. Our players havent been performing but we are the better team.

We will see tonight. How good a team is depends on nothing more than how they are playing, and for Cork thats pretty damn good!

We are a quality team and will pick up the pace again, all we can hope for is a little bit of luck. I'd kill for 2nd place right now, and I have no shame in that. No team has a divine right to win it every year, and a record of 2112 for Nutsy would be incredible.

I predict a 1-2 in favour of Shelbourne. We NEED this to pressure Derry, they're beginning to look nervous and we need to pounce.

and were off , COME ON SHELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jubbly wrote:
    2-1/3-1 to cork my ass. we have the better team, and squad for that matter, its just that events havent been kind to us. Time to knuckle down and turn this season around. Shelbourne will at least come away with a draw if not all 3 points

I take it you havent been to Tolka very often this season?

1-0, same old sh!t

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1-0 Cork super goal.

kdjac

"Colin Hawkins, he's scored many good goals for Shels and for Bohs."

- :confused:

Would be good for Shels to win and Derry to win on friday , make a far better run in.

Fenlon seriously needs some valium or something really really strong , should come back to Pats some nice gear found locally there :D

kdjac

lots of long balls and route one stuff. Not pretty.

In fairness it was a good goal by Cork and they do seem to play the better football. Both sides including the managers look on pretty high doe !

Curtis Fleming is one of the worst signings Nutsy has bought.

Commentating here is just awful. Its Harris, not Rogers.

"Nice play, a nutmeg from Baker." - When clearly he was not even looking where he was playing it. Stick to the GAA Ger.

• Advertisement

jubbly wrote:
    Curtis Fleming is one of the worst signings Nutsy has bought.

He has done it doesnt need to do anything other than get paid , its the other 10 who are meant to be the best players in the league who consistently have been **** week in week out, how the fcuk is Ollie Cahill getting a game at Shels.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    how the fcuk is Ollie Cahill getting a game at Shels

Agreed, he is so nervous looking every time he plays. So unassured on the ball. Big rebuilding required, and no Nutsy, that doesn't mean signing a load more stikers.

Cork are playing the better football and if we can scrap a point here I will be surprised. dreadful stuff from a shels point of view

shels down to 10 men. baker sent off and it doesnt look pretty out there. the wheels are falling off the cart

jubbly wrote:
    Cork are playing the better football and if we can scrap a point here I will be surprised. dreadful stuff from a shels point of view

You almost say it like you are surprised. Oh wait... you are!

Baker is a tool, like most of the rest of them out there. Complete indiscipline. He can f*ck off back to America. After what he did at Tolka vs Waterford I've had no respect for him.

• Advertisement

byrne shouldnt have been taken off Nutsy *furious*

I actually think its about time Byrne was taken off for a change. Not that we have anyone better to replace him considering Gary O'Neil is injured, but Jayo can be such a moany so and so sometimes, especially when the problems often stem from him.

I know I'm risking abuse from the Shels 'Jayo-Lovers' but I really dislike the guy these days. God I'm in a shocking anti-Shels mood tonight.

1-0 reults

shambolic stuff from shels. defence a mess, players signed last never produced the goods this year, concentration very poor. Nutsy got it all wrong. Diabolical

Roddy seems to think it's all over as far as the league is concerned. Very disrespectful to Derry if you ask me. A Derry win on Friday and it sets the league up nicely. Still 12 games to go, how Roddy can claim it is over is beyond me.

He is a twat, you seem to be forgetting that! :)

I think Roddy has issues to burn with Shels and was quick to dismiss shels. The next game for Cork is going to be huge. I dont know if Shels can still push for 2nd spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

jubbly wrote:
    I think Roddy has issues to burn with Shels and was quick to dismiss shels.

Issues aside, Roddy was calling like it is. You're the only person I've seen who still thought Shels had a chance before tonight's match, and for the life of me I can't see where that optimism came from.

There was so much wrong with this evening. Crawley and Cahill are sh*t. End of story. Fleming in midfield? FFS Nutsy, I thought Reynolds was available to play (tuned in with 5 minutes gone, so missed the build up)??? Bringing off Byrne for Harris was a joke, a real sign of desperation. Lobbing high balls up to an ineffectual Harris nullified the threat from Wes, with no end result. Bringing a kid on when Bobby Ryan was sitting on the bench? Great time to introduce new blood Nutsy... :rolleyes: Don't get me started on Baker, the petulant little sh*te. Stupid stupid challange. And where the f*ck was N'do?

There will be a bloodbath at Tolka Park come the end of season. At least one of the strikers will go, Moore won't stick around without euro football, hopefully Cahill and Crawley will be given their bus fare. And I'm sorry to say this, but Nutsy's job has to be on the line...

Fair play to Cork, champions elect IMO. Great footballing side, and they deserve the title.

One things pissed me off about Shels all season (er, maybe more than one) was the way the back four dealt with the ball. Either it was a straight hoof up the pitch to the opposition or it was a pass to another play and then it was hoofed up the pitch. I saw the same tonight and I saw visions of Steaua again. It was shambolic. I couldnt watch all the long ball stuff.

Richie Bakers challlange was a fúcking disgrace. I couldnt belive he did that. I was ripping. Totally unprofessional, looks like he should have take a few more lessons out in America about how the game should be played.

Curtis Fleming, RETIRE NOW you £$%#£"G pathetic old man. What was nutsy thinking of signing that idiot for? THe EL has moved from bringing 36 year old grandfathers in and he was shown up tonight. I would have taken him off a lot earlier.

Ndo has gone missing for a full season now... He looked good last year when shels were riding a wave but is nowhere to be seen when things are getting tough. A player who might as well be offloaded since he rarely puts in a full 90 minutes and contribues anything.

There was no belief in the Shels tonight, they knew it was all over before they kicked a ball. They let CCFC play all the first half and whatever pressure they could muster in the second half couldnt even get a goal for us. Some of the strikers have to get the axe.

Shels finishing in third is not acceptable (seeing how much money was spent). Nutsy needs his head examined :mad: He need to offload some shambolic players and sort out the team starting with the back four.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

As we shouted in the shed end tonight "Your not champions anymore!" :)

It wasnt the prettiest of stuff but i felt Cork City were always in control even though they missed george alot i think.

Roll on Derry. A win there would put five fingers on the league but I would settle for a point.

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=28354&page=2&pp=20

reckons that nutsy got the sack.. is it a spoof ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement