Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City vs Shelbourne live on RTE 2 Monday night

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Not the most conclusive evidence I've ever seen but in all fairness I won't be shedding many tears if he is to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i know i'll be accused of bias but i reckon that7 was the best atmosphere i've ever seen at an el game, ever.. fcuking hell it was class...

the game itself wasnt great, thought shels dominated in patches without creating too many chances... what a goal from neal horgan...

shels gone now though, and i reckon nutsy will be keeping a close eye on a feew underperforming players..

6 points clear at the top now, 17 clear of shels... what a time to be a city fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Roar wrote:
    i know i'll be accused of bias but i reckon that7 was the best atmosphere i've ever seen at an el game, ever.. fcuking hell it was class...

Didnt come accross on tv that way , mics must have been away from Shed end could hear some Corkeens (is that what the women folk are called down there :confused: ) talking about Kearneys mullet for most of the match.

Shels tried to hoof it vs a team with some big players and well able to soak up any high balls, everytime they passed it about they got in a cross. Ah well then there was 2 eh.....

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i know nutsy had lost it a while ago, but after the champions league games i really knew that was it. crap performance tonight, cahill hasnt played a good game of ball since he was at cork. they were good tonight, i was surprised at how good they were. i was just as surprised at how bad shels were too though, baker hopefully wont play another game for shels, he really is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

jubbly wrote:
    One things pissed me off about Shels all season (er, maybe more than one) was the way the back four dealt with the ball. Either it was a straight hoof up the pitch to the opposition or it was a pass to another play and then it was hoofed up the pitch.

There was no belief in the Shels tonight, they knew it was all over before they kicked a ball.

Shels finishing in third is not acceptable.

First off, welcome to the forum jubbly!

I agree that the Shels defence is weak and lacking in skills. That is an LOI problem as far as I can see, kick first and ask questions later is the method used and unfortunately it generally works, but its not creative.

I think for Shels, this loss cements the reality, and shows that last year's highs were not the start of LOI domination. In a way, the team, the management and the fans got ahead of themselves, and this could be seen in every game that Shels lost this year. They were basically not good enough and some players are overated, such as Jason Byrne.

For Cork, they have the knack this season of churning out results. They have a couple of good players and although the season is far from over, they are in pole position and its just between themselves and Derry.

So, well done Cork, commiserations Shels. It was a reasonably entertaining match in some respects, but not a good enough one (ie: a 4-3 thriller) to bring any new fans to the LOI, even with RTE coverage.

redspider

redspider wrote:
    First off, welcome to the forum jubbly!

I agree that the Shels defence is weak and lacking in skills. That is an LOI problem as far as I can see, kick first and ask questions later is the method used and unfortunately it generally works, but its not creative.

Like who exactly and where? Ball playing CBs in a winnign team ??? no such thing as creative defenders and the ones that are, usually are crap defenders. They defenders for a reason.
    redspider wrote:
    It was a reasonably entertaining match in some respects, but not a good enough one (ie: a 4-3 thriller) to bring any new fans to the LOI, even with RTE coverage.

I dont think Cork fans will care how many new fans they got or how pretty it was, yah know sometimes when teams trying to win a league its 3 points that matters nothing else, Its kinda the thing that wins you the leagues. Its technical name is "scabby 1-0".

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

KdjaC wrote:
    Didnt come accross on tv that way , mics must have been away from Shed end could hear some Corkeens (is that what the women folk are called down there :confused: ) talking about Kearneys mullet for most of the match.

Shels tried to hoof it vs a team with some big players and well able to soak up any high balls, everytime they passed it about they got in a cross. Ah well then there was 2 eh.....

kdjac
    Don't forget the kids that felt the need to lean into the mics and say PENIS every so often!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

It seemed like only shelbourne who couldnt deal with the ball at the back, cork took it down and tried to pass it to someone in midfield. Thats something Shels NEEDED to do, Our best player was totally bypassed most of the game and we could create very little. Not being able to keep the ball is something that really hurt Shels all season.

Nutsy has done well with shels over the last few seasons, but the long ball from the defenders is not helping us at all. None of the defenders can seem to deal with any pressure and the distribution was terrible. Its something that needs a clearout over the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

jubbly wrote:
    It seemed like only shelbourne who couldnt deal with the ball at the back, cork took it down and tried to pass it to someone in midfield. Thats something Shels NEEDED to do

hit the nail on the head there jubbly, you could also see it in the steaua game shels give the ball away wayyy too easily, a change is needed at shelbourne football club and needed soon..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Were not going to see any UEFA cup football next season unless Shels sort out defence once and for all. Nutsy's signings have all been poor stop gap measurs tbf.

Shelbourne players looked mentally pretty brittle last night (and in europe) as well. The look like (arenal comes to mind) a team who is under a lot of pressure and if one thing goes wrong everything goes wrong. Maybe too much money was spent and the club is under pressure to get the results :S.

Im hoping that cork hammer Derry and Derry implode now. Coupled with the fact that the pressure is off Shels for the league we might be able to catch Derry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Is the pressure really off Shels though? IMO, they are under more pressure now than ever. They are in an unfamiliar position of trying to keep in contention for an Inter toto spot, leave alone a UEFA cup spot. Keeping in mind that Bohs, Longford and Drogehda will all be confident of getting third place as well, its not going to be easy for them. It effectively means Shels have 5 six-pointers to play this season (twice against Bohs).

As for last nights game. City didnt fire on all cylinders, yet were by far thye better team. I note someone said that Shels have better squad/players in every position. I assume that person was having a laugh, yes???

3 points for CCFC on friday, and its all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote:
    3 points for CCFC on friday, and its all over.
    Wow, this is the first time I've seen you even slightly say that CCFC might win the league.

I have to say, looking at your players at full time last night celebrating like they had won the league already wasn't nice at all.

^They celebrated so, because they effectively ended Shels' challenge last night. It was a huge win, and a huge shot in the arm for CCFCs title push. It was also great to see as it showed the team attitude, it shows how hungry they are, and how much that meant to them last night. To see Danny Murphy going mental at the end was a fantastic sight. How so many team must wish they had the spirit of CCFC.

It must be acid to Pat Dolan to see a different manager actually do a good job with a team he had not long ago. Some say even if he were still in charge, CCFC would be in a similar position, but you can have all the infredients and not be able to bake the cake. Not only is Ricos cake coming along nicely, he seems to be prpearing the icing on top as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

And we'd struggle to cook a microwave meal the way we're playing.

gimmick wrote:
    I note someone said that Shels have better squad/players in every position. I assume that person was having a laugh, yes???

i said it weeks ago and still stick by it , they have far better players in every position than Cork , suffice to say i doubt theres a single Cork player who is good enough to get a game at Shels.

Makes them being **** all the better. You have talented players they have proven quality , players with league medals in nearly every position.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Pity at the end of the year CCFC will have a player with a league medal in every position! :(

KdjaC wrote:
    i said it weeks ago and still stick by it , they have far better players in every position than Cork , suffice to say i doubt theres a single Cork player who is good enough to get a game at Shels.

sarcasm yes?

Devine Vs Delaney? Devine

Murphy Vs Crawley? Murphy

Bennett Vs Scouse? Bennett

Murray Vs Honker? Honker

Horgan Vs Heary? Horgans temperamnet would shade it for him.

Kearney Vs Cahill? Kearney

Gamble Vs Stuey Byrne? Toss up. Both great players.

George Vs Hoolahan? As above

O Donovan Vs Fleming? Weak link for both, but O Donovan

Flynn Vs Byrne? When on form, Flynn, but a toss up again

Fenn Vs Crowe? Fenn

Probably very biased, but there is very little between squads in terms of quality. To say Shels are better in evry position is totally not the case.

Shels players ALL except delaney afaik have league medals , you dont get them for free. Again they have won leagues is there a Cork player with a winners medal (not yet anyway but for now none).

They have the best team and squad in the league and in every position have quality 2 or more better players than anyone else.

And your player by player unbiased view ...lol Crowe may be a feckin donkey but being the leagues top scorer twice more than Fenn is enought to say hes a better striker than Fenn.

Take heart they have better players but your a better team. ...hehe

Put it this way you can have 4 great players in your back four doesnt make a good defence, Shels with Fleming Rogers Hawkins Heary have the best on paper back four but i reckon when Pats back four are all fit we play better as a defensive unit. They still have 4 far better players tho.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

That wouldn't be our strongest eleven though for a player by player comparison

Advertisement