Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Download limit

• 14-08-2005 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

i'm with IBB and i'm wondering wat happens if i go over 30mb limit. how do i know what my limit is and does the 30mb limit only happen every month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Br@nkin

are u sure its not 30gb?

i dont have broadband though, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

According to http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/bb_at_home/pricing.htm , there is no cap.

According to http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/our_products/Breeze_1MB.htm , there is.

Unless there is a difference between "limit" and "cap".

"Breeze 1Mb is suitable for Internet users who wish to shop, bank, send photographs to friends and family and have access to a continuous virtual library. In addition, Breeze 1Mb has an added advantage of unrestricted uploading and downloading, ideal for research and study."

Are you using Ripwave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

to get the point...

They just call you up and offer you the 2Mbit unlimited cap. You get upgraded over the phone. As far as i know they don't like P2P downloaders on 1Mbit service. it slows it down to hell!

It;s simply that. there is no info on hte Terms and conditions about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭half_life_man

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    According to http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/bb_at_home/pricing.htm , there is no cap.

According to http://www.irishbroadband.ie/htmdocs/our_products/Breeze_1MB.htm , there is.

Unless there is a difference between "limit" and "cap".

"Breeze 1Mb is suitable for Internet users who wish to shop, bank, send photographs to friends and family and have access to a continuous virtual library. In addition, Breeze 1Mb has an added advantage of unrestricted uploading and downloading, ideal for research and study."

Are you using Ripwave?
    no i'm using breeze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

30 mb is about right for the speeds most people are getting lately...LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Is the IBB limit of 30gb a combined up and down figure, or 30gb for down?

Very little information on the web about it. As far as I was concerned there was no limit, I'll ring them in the morning and find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

breeze 2meg = no cap

breeze 1 meg = 30 gigs

and thats about the bottom line :)

Is it 30gb each way or 15gb each way? And how much does it cost if exceeded? And how do I tell how much I've downloaded?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A friend of mine just got Breeze 1Mb in Limerick and he was told on the phone that there was no charge for going over the cap, but if he was constantly exceeding the cap by a 'large' amount they would simply suggest he purchase the more expensive 2Mb product.

I don't have any idea what a 'large' amount would be, probably double or greater. He's not too worried as he's only getting around 30-40GB a month (well for two months now anyway) so he'll probably be OK.

You can use a program called DU Meter to keep a tally of your uploads/downloads but I'd assume that there is a meter on IBBs website somewhere just like all the other providers have.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote:
    You can use a program called DU Meter to keep a tally of your uploads/downloads but I'd assume that there is a meter on IBBs website somewhere just like all the other providers have.

Thanks a million for that.

I think the 2mb Breeze is €49 or so a month, only €14 extra but I'm happy with the 1mb so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

Im fairly sure its 30gig down as not too much demand on upload as far as I know, well not as much as downstream anyway...

Couldnt say that for sure though, you would need to ring cs...if you dare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

In June and May we setup two FTP servers in my college and at home. to download and upload information (Just Binary files) see how there network deals with it also to see if there connection maxes out.

55 days of symmetrical traffic. We used the college's Heanets network as IBB are connected to the same Backbone hub

On a IBB Breeze 1Mbit 24:1 cont

@ 121.2kb/s 602.8GB Upload
    @ 118.6kb/s 592.3GB downloaded

For the duration for the test we got about 80% to 98% QoS on both the upload and downloading. Uploading on the IBB side was much more constant then the downloading as during the day network traffic was greater. But we wanted to see what happens when we max the connection.

The college let us do it for 55days but amazingly we came across no problems only brief slow downs on the downloading side.

Called IBB about been upgraded to 2Mbit about a week after that and asked if he could email me a screenshot of the usage graph. he got a shock with the graph showed peaking at 100% for almost two months,
    but he said don't spend too long at it as the system will increase your contention ratio to prevent the network from crashing. He had mentioned that they have about 2Gbit dark fiber link to the backbone for a sector.

This is when you get lucking with IBB, Galway connection connected in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

That's great and all. And of course you would get good speeds if the backhaul is hosted on the same network as your college, and there was no contention.

But you were probably ruining speeds for other people on the same subnet/vlan/whatever IBB is using to contend customers. It's probably half the reason why people in certain areas can't get any sort of speed.... People maxing out the connection, but no QoS system to Automatically down rate a customer when they're are going at it for weeks and give others a fighting chance.... I don't believe for a second any sort of system is in place as that support guy claimed.

Between people like you and IBB happily going over their committed contention ratios, and STILL taking on more and more customers on the same high sites. Is it any wonder alot of people are miffed about the service?

(btw last night, uploads at: 0.2KB/sec, and constantly dropping. So basically no upload speeds at all in Clondalkin).

Advertisement