Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Different Price than advertised

Options
  • 14-08-2005 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

My wife is looking for a car at the moment and finally found (the) one she liked yesterday. The salesman told her the price was €13000 - she got him to drop it to €12600 and was delighted. She then came home and, in the course of doing a search to compare her car price with others of the same year/milage, found her car advertised for €12500. Now i know it doesnt seem a lot but it has really P***ed her off and she is trying to decide what the best course of action is.

The main problem is that this model/year/spec is the only one she has found in Leinster to meet her criteria (boo!)

Any advice appreciated as I would just tend to go off the head at these things (which prob isnt best in this case!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Yeah simple thing is that you get a vopy of the ad and bring it to the salesman and get some extra couple of quid of and also you go with her because salesmen for some reason think that they van get one over on women.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

Makes sense i spose. do we have any legal foot to stand on? He could just say there was a typo on the website...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Welcome to the real world. 24 hour buyers remorse or "we'll match any advertized price" is not in vogue yet is it not?.
    This happens all the time if you scan the paper, you'll see the same car, spec, mileage, etc for asking prices that differ by 2~3K.
    It's called the free market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

scouse1990 wrote:
    The main problem is that this model/year/spec is the only one she has found in Leinster to meet her criteria (boo!)

I hope the dealer doesn't know this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

It's €100, thats 0.8% more than the ad.
    Just buy the damn car at the agreed price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

Gurgle,
    it's the principle of the matter - 0.8% or 8% its still someone trying to rip someone off. I spose with that attitude we would arrive at a country which excels in ripping ppl off - oh, damn we're already there!!

(and, no, CCovich the dealer doesnt know this - or at least my wife didnt mention it!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just phone the garage and say I'll pay no more than 12500 as I've seen the car advertised for that ammount. There's no need to get heavy with them.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

Just phone the garage and say I'll pay no more than 12500 as I've seen the car advertised for that ammount. There's no need to get heavy with them.

Exactly. You can use the cheaper price that was advertised as a haggling tool, but ye already have the price down cheaper.
    But ffs, dont start talking legal crap, ye cant be that retarded are ye?? :rolleyes: honestly, some people.

The saleman mightnt be always familar with what prices a car was advertised in various ads. he mightn`t have put the add in, and the person that did might change the price every time its put in. Its hardly extreme fraud.

Pick a car and then haggle, doesnt matter what price you seen it advertised elsewhere at.
    Now i know it doesnt seem a lot but it has really P***ed her off and she is trying to decide what the best course of action is.
    God help ya, being married to that. its a E100 for fooks sake.
    do we have any legal foot to stand on?
    Jaysus, :rolleyes: And your complaining about rip-off Ireland. Go on, tell him your sueing him, i dare ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Personally, I'd go in there and offer him €12k on the basis that he was willing to give you €400 off the price. If he says no, give him your phone number and tell him to ring you when he's changed his mind. Then walk. If it was advertised for €12.5k, there's still some room for a discount. Unless its a really in-demand car, you should have no problem getting it for €12k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

what dont u ring up, ask is it still for sale for 12500, ask whats his best price before u go down there and urself and herself trundle down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Smithers wrote:
    what dont u ring up, ask is it still for sale for 12500, ask whats his best price before u go down there and urself and herself trundle down

I'd say thats the best piece of advise posted so far....would like to see the salesmen explain that one!! Would be shame to lose the car if its one your happy with and can turn it to your advantage.

A similar thing happened to me a couple of years back, had a very condescending salesmen make me fell like he was doing me a favour giving me a 'discounted price' on a car. Was very tempted but walked away and said would have a think about it,had a look on their internet site later that night and same car was actually 500 cheaper than his bottom line discounted price.

Never went back as couldnt think of a suitable way of handling it but certainly opened my eyes to how salesmen operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Smithers wrote:
    what dont u ring up, ask is it still for sale for 12500, ask whats his best price

Negotiating best price won't get you anywhere over the phone. A car salesman will only entertain that face to face

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

agreed, but a foot in the door so to speak,

lets face it, these guys work on comission, he knows starting off what he can sell the car for and still get a profit/comission ect, he will make u feel hes doing u a favour, the good ones always do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

boardsee wrote:
    But ffs, dont start talking legal crap, ye cant be that retarded are ye?? :rolleyes: honestly, some people.

God help ya, being married to that. its a E100 for fooks sake.

Jaysus, :rolleyes: And your complaining about rip-off Ireland. Go on, tell him your sueing him, i dare ya.

You're a real charmer there mate, best of luck keeping your latest account unbanned. :rolleyes:

To the OP.

If the only one who has spoken to the dealer is your wife then why don't you get her to ring him up and decline the sale, say she has found a better one for less. Then you go down on your own, mention at the start the lower advertised price without sounding too positive about it and go from there.

If you are 100% that it is the car you want then you shouldn't let the dealer's antics get in the way.

I suggest you go down, have a quick look at the car without mentioning anything about your wife or higher prices. If you are sure about it go back later and straight out offer to part then and there with a much lower figure. If it's being advertised at 12.5k, unless it's a higly sought after car the likelihood is he is willing to let it go for a good bit less. If it has been there for a while a quick sale at around 12k might suit him better than holding out for another buyer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

scouse1990 wrote:
    My wife is looking for a car at the moment and finally found (the) one she liked yesterday. The salesman told her the price was €13000 - she got him to drop it to €12600 and was delighted. She then came home and, in the course of doing a search to compare her car price with others of the same year/milage, found her car advertised for €12500. Now i know it doesnt seem a lot but it has really P***ed her off and she is trying to decide what the best course of action is.

Any advice appreciated as I would just tend to go off the head at these things (which prob isnt best in this case!!)

There is no rip-off going on here. An advertised price is only an invitation to buy and if the car was advertised at a lower price elsewhere, it really shows the buyer up as a very poor negotiator.

A good salesman will recognise the desperation in a buyer and negotiate accordingly. It sounds like "the wife" has a lot to learn about bargaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

You should know the average price of the car you are looking for, before you go shopping. So you would know if a car is a resonable price or not. However trying to sell it for more than its advertising for, is poor. While theres nothing legally wrong with that, its not a very "nice" thing to do. Personally I be doubting everything else hes told you about the car. If he can't be straight with one thing...

scouse1990 wrote:
    Gurgle,
    it's the principle of the matter - 0.8% or 8% its still someone trying to rip someone off. I spose with that attitude we would arrive at a country which excels in ripping ppl off - oh, damn we're already there!!
    But you can't claim you were ripped off - You already negotiated and agreed on a price. Did you not think at the time you had got a fair price for the car you wanted to buy ?

Now you're trying to drop the price afterwards. You are the one who wants to renegotiate after the deal was reached.

Whats to say the dealer hasn't had the car serviced & valeted in between placing the ad and agreeing to sell the car to you ?

Maybe he put 4 new tyres on ?

(And anyway, its not the 0.8% rip-offs we need to worry about, its the 100%-500% mark-ups were paying on various goods and services that make this rip-off Ireland.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

If a supermarket advertises a product in a newspaper at a certain price and sells it at a higher price it's breaking advertising rules. If it advertises a price in store and sells at a higher price it's breaking the law. If it claims a price on the shelf and sells at a higher price, there's a possible €3,000 fine for each incident. In fact, the sale price of any product, under consumer law, must be shown on that product, or near enough to it to make it obvious to a consumer.

Are our car selling friends not obliged to follow these rules?

DubTony wrote:
    Are our car selling friends not obliged to follow these rules?

Second-hand car.
    Doesn't apply.

Caveat emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Its a tricky situation allright.

If it was advertised as €12,500 then they must have been willing to drop to about €11,500. Now that is €1100 less than the OP is paying, which is 8.7% of the agreed price, and well worth fighting for IMO.

But, having said that. A deal is a deal, and if you shook hands on it, well that could be tough luck.

So in summary, :confused: .
    Sorry.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:
    If it was advertised as €12,500 then they must have been willing to drop to about €11,500.
    :D
    Either you're living in fantasy land or you're much better at haggling than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

LOL,

Probably more fantasy that haggling.
    Seriously here is my deal.

I will shop around, check out cars etc first. Pick the car I want, which we will pretend is €12,500.

I will get a bank draft for €10,000 and bring €2000 in cash (total €12,000)

I'll let the dealer know that I have cash with me, there and then. And start at €1000 below the marked price. If they don't want to play ball I'll leave my number and walk out.
    If they do, I'll let on I only have €11,500 with me and see what else they will do to make me hand over the cash, e.g. valet, full fuel tank etc.

It has worked once or twice, and it hasn't once or twice.

Remember, the dealer most likely has that car in as a previous trade-in, so they have already made money on it, espc if they sold the car new in the first place.

Advertisement