Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direction of the Islam forum

• 14-08-2005 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Great to see an Islam forum. Hopefully it will be a place of civilised debate with no tolerance for the predictable myopic comments.

I am not a Muslim, but I have an interest in the relegion purely because I know so little about it. So, where is this forum going? What are the aims?

Are there many Muslims on Boards.ie? So many questions....:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think the board needs a charter.

For example it is not enough to just post links. You should post a link with an explanation explaining why the person should go off and read it.

Also if Arabic is posted it should be translated for those who can't read it but the board shouldn't a place for "Please translate this for me" (use the language forum).

Then all the usual charter type stuff. Possibly what Devore said in the request thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Its for enlightment - ask some questions!

I'm glad to see this forum up.I had a hunch that it would be a good idea and like all good ideas they usually flower up out of the sometimes messy threads that suggest them.I tend to read those threads but stay out of them.

Besides my own religion which I rarely if ever discuss because I don't need or want to,Islam is something I have always been very curious about.
    My curiosity wouldn't necessarally be enough to become a convert but it would be beyond the level of just a basic interest.

I'd agree fully with the brief few things Hobbes mentioned.I'd also suggest Hobbes that you get the people who you work with that you mentioned in the forum creation thread to get involved as quickly as possible.This would be so as to have a resource of people actually committed to this faith who are members of it to answer any questions and be centrally involved in the forum's direction. subject of course to what the Admins see as what they envisage it being also.

I think it's very very important when you have a subject as misunderstood at times as this one that you have active members of the faith taking active and informative roles in the discussions rather than those with just a basic knowledge on the subject.
    It would be imperative to have them here as soon as possible rather than have a prolonged time when theres more misinformation or less intuitive information being bandied about than stuff from people with lifes experiences and a full knowledge.

Well not many questions have been asked so i dont think its time to judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Earthman wrote:
    I think it's very very important when you have a subject as misunderstood at times as this one that you have active members of the faith taking active and informative roles in the discussions rather than those with just a basic knowledge on the subject

I wholeheartedly agree. This is ultimately what I want out of the Islam forum. Sure, I've read books on the subject, I've read articles in newspapers and I've listened to debates on various Islam related issues, but nothing is better than getting first hand experience of a subject matter.

• Advertisement

Going to merge this up with the charter thread. it has good points and I need to enumerate them before updating the charter later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well not many questions have been asked so i dont think its time to judge.

What does your signature mean?

fly_agaric wrote:
    What does your signature mean?

You should PM him and ask him. But this has been discussed on another forum.
    "Whos believers have who has really rewarded from their god and forgiveness and generous deeds"

Which roughly translates that those who do generous deeds and have forgiveness will be rewarded from their God.

Although the passage is out of context (from the Koran).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Hobbes wrote:
    You should PM him and ask him. But this has been discussed on another forum.

Sorry about that. Kind of felt like kicking myself after I hit the post button. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Osman

Greetings,

I'm a muslim. :) I look forward to dialoguing with you in the near future!

Peace

• Advertisement

Salaam aleikom,

welcome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭mcirl2

Hey,

i'm am irish and i just want to know what is the general viewpoint of the Irish and Ireland in the eyes of Muslims. good/bad etc etc

I have heard stories from some asian friends that Pakistani muslims in particular don't like and or appreciate Christians or westerners in general.

if this is the case and im not generalising as there are plenty of nice pakistanis, i believe that much of the muslim community should cease complaining about racism and take a look inward at themselves - this attitude will cause the destruction of islam by non - muslims as pure ignorance and racist

I also belive this must work vice-versa , that is that westerners have to give islam scope but if Gihad prevails, Islam will be crushed -Ignorance will be killed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

My family is Pakistany and most have no problem with Irish people. My Uncle is married to an Irish woman and she is welcomed within our family.

I am sure there is a loud minority who have problems with other religions in general, but every group has small minded loud mouths. Muslims are no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

mcirl2 wrote:
    this attitude will cause the destruction of islam by non - muslims as pure ignorance and racist

but if Gihad prevails, Islam will be crushed -Ignorance will be killed

Watch your tone!
    if your asking to have understanding on both sides please try to be careful with your won words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

Suff wrote:
    Watch your tone!
    if your asking to have understanding on both sides please try to be careful with your won words.

maybe you should watch your selctive quoting. Overall, what mcirl2 said was reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

landser wrote:
    maybe you should watch your selctive quoting. Overall, what mcirl2 said was reasonable.
    So you think collective punishment is reasonable? or does "Islam will be crushed" mean something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

landser wrote:

Really?....... the quote of "Islam will be crushed" is reasonable!!!!
    I did select the quote to outline the statment.

that's is not reasonable at all and very hostail :mad:

landser wrote:

It was questionable at best. I have left it in the hopes it would spur intresting dialogue from it, however it would be nice if they would expand on what they appear to be claiming that there is no racism towards the muslim community.

Advertisement