Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Views on this Laptop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Woody, it really depends what you need to do with it.

Personally, I would steer clear of anything with a Celeron processor in it. They're a lot cheaper than Pentiums, but also a lot less powerful.

Can you give examples of what you would be using it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Duckjob wrote:
    Woody, it really depends what you need to do with it.

Personally, I would steer clear of anything with a Celeron processor in it. They're a lot cheaper than Pentiums, but also a lot less powerful.

Can you give examples of what you would be using it for?

Adding it to the work network for general business use, browsing, low level (old) games play every now and then and basically that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

Its not a bad machine, and I am typing this on its sister model, the Inspiron 2200.

Few points:
    a) The Celeron M is a good processor for the money. I have aired my views on it in other threads and suffice to say it is pretty much equivalent to a Pentium M, but has slightly crippled power managment.

b) The 1200/2200 only have NiMh batteries, an old technology by any measure. It still returns about 2.5 hours.

c) The 1200 doesnt have wireless. You might not need it now, but I think its worth having, you dont know how things might change.

d) The 2200 at least has a fantastic keyboard, better than anything I have ever used apart from a thinkpad. It also runs quiet and doesnt get hot.

e) The 15" screen looks better than the 14" one as there is a smaller border between it and the case. I have the 15" and its clear and sharp. Viewing angle isnt massive though.

f) It needs more memory. 256 is enough, but only barely. You will notice a lag if you have a few programs open. The hard drive isnt huge at 30GB either.

All in all its a OK machine, but it is lacking and you would get better value if you have a couple extra hundred. If you can stretch to it the 2200 is a better bet and the 6000 is probably better again. Maybe if you are looking to spend small money, the outlet is for you, from time to time they have machines for €300/400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

cheers for that, so you reckon going say the extra €109 for the 2200 would be the better investment.

As for RAM well buying the extra of dell is to expensive but shop4memory.com

would better as 1GB is €177 compared to dells €800 odd which is madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

Yeah, for that bit extra you get wireless, dvd writer, 15" screen, and 10GB.

The 3yr guarantee is cheap. Maybe you should consider it?

I went for 256MB for the same reason, crazy price to upgrade it.

It is a nice laptop though, and I have used mine about 10hrs a day for the past 2 weeks and no complaints.

Also the black unpainted case is a huge bonus. It doesnt look as pretty a painted one, but it wont scratch or get tatty looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

i got the 2200 off their outlet store a few months ago for €420 incl. delivery.same specs as that 1200 but i got 512 ram,and it had a pentium m 1.5 gh processor in it ,meant to be a celeron .overall ,i am very happy with mine.i have a 11 mbps wi-fi pcmcia card in mine.you can get g class ones for €30 euro in argos. i am thinking about getting a mini-pci g wi-fi card for mine.you can get them for under €40 incl. del. off ebay,but don't know which one to get. komplett are selling the new nec laptop dvd burner for €95 incl. del which is a pretty good price.how much do you think you would get for a dell dvd/cd-rw combo drive?.

Advertisement