Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken 5 sucks?

Options
  • 14-08-2005 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Rented this out yesterday hoping for a decent fighting game and it sucks, no flow to any fighter simply mashing the buttons wins you fights, trying to do a move leads to broken gamepads and dead fighter.

Its like chess but slower , technical fighting me arse , playable fighting would have been a better idea.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I never liked any of the Tekken games, always found them crap really....don'y know what all the fuss is about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

ive never liked beat'em ups since they went 3D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Haven't played 5 yet, lost a good bit of interest in them. For me though, 3 will always be a classic. I've always loved the mini-games and extras in Tekken games. I was addicted to the volley-ball. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I lost interest after 3, although in my day the pwnage I could dish out, mainly in 2, was unrivalled.

I find the games a bit boring, they're allright for a few games when your friends are round but thats it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tekken is slow dull and boring and a button masher of the highest order. Tekken 5 is a big improvement but I find that there are far better fighting games out at the moment.

KdjaC you should try Street Fighter 3: 3rd strike in the SF anniversary collection which is on par with SF2 and Virtua Fighter 4 which is as equally godly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Retr0gamer wrote:

KdjaC you should try Street Fighter 3: 3rd strike in the SF anniversary collection which is on par with SF2 and Virtua Fighter 4 which is as equally godly.

Have that never mad about it, PS2 pad doesnt work well with Sf2.

kdjac

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It grows on you. The PS2 pad sucks for it but lik-sang have the official Capcom SF anniversary edition pad which is fantastic for fighting games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

KdjaC wrote:
    Rented this out yesterday hoping for a decent fighting game and it sucks, no flow to any fighter simply mashing the buttons wins you fights, trying to do a move leads to broken gamepads and dead fighter.

Its like chess but slower , technical fighting me arse , playable fighting would have been a better idea.

kdjac
    mashing buttons wins games but if you actually take the time to learn some combos youll find it a whole lot better. Its a bit more accessible and a bit more fun than VF4 imo

Deadwing wrote:
    mashing buttons wins games but if you actually take the time to learn some combos youll find it a whole lot better. Its a bit more accessible and a bit more fun than VF4 imo

The game is only really good when both players are of a reasonable standard and will rise above frenzied button bashing. Otherwise it is teh suk.

grimloch wrote:
    The game is only really good when both players are of a reasonable standard and will rise above frenzied button bashing. Otherwise it is teh suk.
    not really, once youve learnt a good few moves you can have enjoyable fights against the computer, i think its one of the most enjoyable beat em ups ive played in years. The liks of VF4 are so hard to get into, it takes ages to get really good with one character, i played it for ages and was only good with lei fei and vanessa, cause it took to long to learn someones moveslit, tekken 5 on the otherhand, after a few weeks i can kick ass with jin, devil jin, lei wulong, bruce, etc

• Advertisement

What annoyed me with the series was that my supposed "skillz" could be defeated by wanton button bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ive always found Tekken games to be slow and awkward so I avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

grimloch wrote:
    What annoyed me with the series was that my supposed "skillz" could be defeated by wanton button bashing.

God damn, why do people bitch about a game that they completely suck at, hmmm?? Tekken has tonnes of moves and is a very skillful game at it's core, moreso than any other fighting title. Slow, awkward, button bashing, these are the ramblings of a noob.

I cleared it on normal 1st go with Raven trying to do any of his special moves vs other player they can press any attack and pull you out of whatever your about to do. Thats not skill its the game punishing good players , even with the boxer who has a snazzy sidestep buggered vs anyone who can kick.

game isnt balanced and even if you leanr the moves dont matter drunken GF press 2 buttons and your 24 hit somersault attack kick is rendered useless as you fall on your ass. Soul Calibur its not.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

2 buttons = 24 hit move? Either this is extreme exaggeration or they've taken a turn to the dark side. I've played Tekken 1-4 and enjoyed them all. Soul Caliber, DoA et al are fun, but just don't match the technical side to Tekken. Sure there'll be player abusing easy moves, and people get frustrated to be beaten by such a move. But real players of Tekken will easily counter such a tactic.

All the ten hit combos had a pattern and once you learn that, you can counter or block, turn it to your advantage. So much so that people stop using the 10 hit's cos they're so predictable. To say Tekken is a button bashing extravanganza is only to take the game at face value and not delve deeper into the complexity and techinicality of the game. The combos are limitless and juggling is fun too :)

KdjaC wrote:
    I cleared it on normal 1st go with Raven trying to do any of his special moves vs other player they can press any attack and pull you out of whatever your about to do. Thats not skill its the game punishing good players , even with the boxer who has a snazzy sidestep buggered vs anyone who can kick.

game isnt balanced and even if you leanr the moves dont matter drunken GF press 2 buttons and your 24 hit somersault attack kick is rendered useless as you fall on your ass. Soul Calibur its not.

kdjac
    you can mash buttons just as much if not more in SC

Deadwing wrote:
    you can mash buttons just as much if not more in SC

Yes but when recieinv a whomping you can do more lie horizontally on your back whilst being pummeled.

Playing it again today and it really does suck ,shooting game during loading isnt bad tho.

kdjac

I've seen some excellent Tekken players get absolutely annihilated by a drunken noob mahing the buttons and others getting beaten by their gf who finds a few cheesy moves and exploits them. Some characters are completely useless while some are ridiculously strong. Tekken is as balanced as the tower of pisa.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I've seen some excellent Tekken players get absolutely annihilated by a drunken noob mahing the buttons and others getting beaten by their gf who finds a few cheesy moves and exploits them. Some characters are completely useless while some are ridiculously strong. Tekken is as balanced as the tower of pisa.

Exactly, thats what I was talking about earlier.

One of my friends for example was very good at the game and when I first played it via a route of button bashing and random pressing I beat him.

Yes, what a truly balanced game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

I have to disagree with the Tekken bashing. I really like Tekken 5 especially since Tekken 4 really let me down in terms of energy and fun.

I'm a big fan of VF4 and SC1 but I have to say that I think Tekken 5 is ahead by a nose.

If you're finding the story mode easy then give arcade mode a try. Myself and my girlfriend are up to Warlord rank with Asuka and its seriously tough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Tekken 5 is brilliant!! I rather Tekken tag like but 5 is deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The issue of balance is easy to answer: look to Asia.

In VF4, you have players playing as Akira, Lion, ... um, that's about it, really.
    Whereas in Tekken, almost every character gets god playtime :cool: As for being beaten by button-bashers, it only happens while you're not a master.
    After I mastered Jin in T3, no-one stood a chance! :D Of course, now I have to learn a new Jin. But then I can learn more characters too! :cool:

*edit*: just noticed I wrote "god playtime", not "good playtime". Then again, kind of fitting when you see Jap/Korean's skillz :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭flowerpotfrog

i bought a ps2 recently just to play tekken5. really is a brilliant game. i'm not good at it though, i don't know the juggles etc. etc. and can only just about use 3 characters but anyone that says it's easy, you can win by button bashing is either playing the computer on easy level or not playing it at all.

i think it's a really fun game and resonable accuarate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

KdjaC wrote:

Hate to point out the obvious, but all beat em ups are a piece of p*ss on normal, soul caliber and all street fighters included (well possably apart from Third Strike, Gill was just cheap in so many ways), normal is generally for pick up and play, Tekken5 is actually a decent challenge on Ultra Hard compared to most games.

While Tekken4 was pretty, well sh*t to be perfectly honest, Tekken5 is by far the best 3D beat em up I have played yet (note I have yet to get my mitts on VF4, after the shambles of VF3 I was put off), and if you complain about being destroyed by button mashing noobs, you rented it! no harm but I would hardly call you Tekkenmaster666!!11!1 after one day of playing. As for Steve being buggered by anyone who can kick, he just happened to have the best mid game there is, hes probably the single best fighter in it, even though I rarely play him, his speed and power are both downright silly, probably his biggest flaw is if he comes up against someone like Feng (my main) with a punch counter, but the same applies to Hworrang against the likes of King with a kick counter.

As for not being able to stand up, theres side rolls, back rolls, tech rolls, attacks from the ground, and quick stand. If you cant get up theres something badly wrong, if your just always holding back to roll away, then you get what you deserve to be quite honest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭flowerpotfrog

steve is the best, tbh. unfairly good i think. crap to play with imo.

Pugsley wrote:

As for not being able to stand up, theres side rolls, back rolls, tech rolls, attacks from the ground, and quick stand. If you cant get up theres something badly wrong, if your just always holding back to roll away, then you get what you deserve to be quite honest :)

Kinda hard to roll when Hwaronag is kicking you 11 times in mid air. And tbh after playing with him i reckon i could beat anyone with him only have to press 1 buttona nd move the pad in 3 directions.

Great game really hard to master.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Sugarbear

Tekken 5 is by far the most enjoyable and advanced fighting game around at the moment. Sure, mashing a few buttons will fill a few nasty kicks, but there's more to bashing buttons in ANY game! There a lot of various different fighting styles to choose from in the game, some harder to grasp than others. A lot of the playable characters are for either beginner, intermediate or advanced players, but you can still beat the sh*t out of an opponent if you've mastered the moves right. There's more to Tekken than meets the eye. If you just practise a little, Tekken beats any beat em up, hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Tekken is hard to master in a PvP situation, against the PC its always stupidly easy.
    Kdjac, the move you are talking about can be blocked at 4 different occasions throughout the combo, and then easily countered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Tbh i think Tekken is a much more measured game then the likes of DoA and SC2,
    it is more like chess (for the pro's, look up www.shoryuken.com and get videos) but for ur bog standard gamer its just mash mash mash and ull end up doing well, all u need is a general feel for the game and u can win bouts against good players (not elite, good).

in DoA and SC2 though its more about the quick thinking on ur feet and changing tactics every couple of seconds, much much faster games (especially in the case of SC2). these 2 games tend to be alot more fun for the average gamer and for group games...
    yeah sure in SC2 and DoA u can also have pros who can gaurd impact and do triple grab ultra-moves on you (like me :D ) but its faster and easier for new ppl to play, DoA although can turn into a counter-counter-grab-countergrab-grab-counter festival its still alot faster then tekken, especially with the simpler counter system... (think combo-breakers from killer instinct).

the best example is when i was recently at a competition for both SC2 and DoA... the same guy won both tourneys (de-crowning me in SC2!! :mad: ) and when talking to him after he said he doesnt have too much skill (b*ll*x imo! ) but just knows certain moves + techniques with different characters and that if we played with him regularly we could beat him cos we would learn all his stuff (namely in DoA being Jann Lee using kick combos and fast grabs with excellent counter timing & in soul calibur by using Ivy's more difficult moves and good use of gaurd impacts) he was still an excellent gamer and none of us there could beat him on the format we were playing (team battle 8v8 in both games) but if it were to be tekken 5 play im pretty confident a button basher would have laid him out and not let him do his stuff.

this means that games like SC2 and DoA are easier to pick up and get good at while a game like tekken takes ages to get really good at and be able to beat the button bash, hence the more measured game...

keep in mind aswell that in the SC2 tourney most ppl who hadnt really played much b4 used raphael and kept pressing ->B + BBBBBBBBBBBB BBBBBBBBBB to try win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Played the arcade version and tbh, didn't feel much different from the other Tekkens. But then, I usually play as Hwoarang. Button mashing can only win against either the computer or a bad player. A good player will destroy a button masher any day of the week, including Sundays.

Advertisement