Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken 5 sucks?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

pfft. in most beat em ups all you have to do if you suck, is just go for the ankles. Good ol ankle kick, always works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I went in to the new gamestop in Bray on saturday, they had a little Tekken 5 tourny so I entered.

I suck at tekken, but I beat a group of kids aged 7-14, won a load of free crap!

Go Me!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to DOA is probably the worst of the popular beat'em ups. After you get over the button mashing stage you head into the blocking stage and after that the counter stage which is far too effective. After that there isn't much more variety and it turns into a 'counter-counter-grab-countergrab-grab-counter festival' as Jazzy mentioned. And to top it all this takes around 2 hours until you have mastered it. There is no point learning special moves since they can just be countered (and then the countered move can be countered and so on :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Have to DOA is probably the worst of the popular beat'em ups. After you get over the button mashing stage you head into the blocking stage and after that the counter stage which is far too effective. After that there isn't much more variety and it turns into a 'counter-counter-grab-countergrab-grab-counter festival' as Jazzy mentioned. And to top it all this takes around 2 hours until you have mastered it. There is no point learning special moves since they can just be countered (and then the countered move can be countered and so on :rolleyes: )
    Agreed, DoA is utter dribble, one move coutners all, bad, bad idea when counters do the silly damage they do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Retr0gamer wrote:

exactly...
    even though DoA sold real well in the world and has become a popular franchise (talks of a film in the works and such other nonsense) the fighting game big leagues dont play it because of how low a mastery level there is...
    even on DoA ultimate where u can play on xbox live, most S rank players (S equals "elite" rank) they just tend to be either Gen Fu or Jann Lee and do the super-duper counter combos and such, chess it is not

• Advertisement

Yeah but...doa has boobies... :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Deadwing wrote:
    Yeah but...doa has boobies... :o

But they are so much better in DOA: Extreme Sweaty Male Teenager Masturbation Fest. Especially with the unofficial patch.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    But they are so much better in DOA: Extreme Sweaty Male Teenager Masturbation Fest. Especially with the unofficial patch.
    *gasp* unofficial patch? Frenzied masturbation?!? im there!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

DOA has always been just about physics -- and not just when you kick someone out a window & down 5 stories! :D Mmm... Tina...

Oh yeah. Itagaki hates DOA modders; he actually goes after them with lawsuits :( We just wanted to see some n*pples, honestly, it's not *gasp* GTA: San Andreas! :p

Of course, those who know better (worse?) know that the Japs don't need patches to "enjoy" the DOA girls better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 espmind101

Tekken 5 is probably the best fighting game i have ever played. i see alot of people posting things like, "kick their anckles 4 the win", the game has built in things to deal with spamming movies liek this. you can counter hit low hits, which sets the attacker off ballence open for a hit. As for button mashing, Its in every game, but i don't think it works that well in tekken. In my experience you block a few hits from a button masher then hit back on his recoil and smash him with a quick combo or a juggle. I know that inexperienced players will have alot of rounds of button mashing but when u start learning good blocking and how to chain combos and moves, the game becomes alot more interesting. If only tekken 5 had the Tag feature of tekken tag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

BizzY C - I went in to the new gamestop in Bray on saturday, they had a little Tekken 5 tourny so I entered.

I suck at tekken, but I beat a group of kids aged 7-14, won a load of free crap!

Go Me!!!

Yeah me too! Won the one on liffey street. Felt bad after, they all sucked, except one guy from quirkies who uses steve.

Tekken 5 is the best in the series. Tekken 4 was a mess, pure crap. Many top Koreans stopped playin when T4 came out.

Now to the button bashing topic. I was playin a random asian bloke in quirkies last week and he was literally BASHING the **** out of the machine. The whole cabinet was shaking, which was very distracting! lol! So in that respect it does work....... but seriously it doesnt. If you get beaten by a button basher your an idiot. If u think you can beat me by doin that or anyone good come into quirkies and see the level of skill required to play it properly. There are about 5 or 6 decent players there, one of the guys that works there is very good. Check out video on http://www.tekken.net and look for players called Nin, knee, MDJ, and holeman to name a few.

My only gripe about T5 is steve. He is WAY to overpowered. I know form first hand experince got demoted today by a certain "GodfistedFox", although he is good. I HATE STEVE.

DoA is snap compared to Tekken 5.

You'll be happy about the slight toning down he got in 5.1 then! :D Check TZ's forums for more.

Jin? Steve? Feng? Asuka?
    So hard to choose 1 to master -- think I'll try them all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

tbh tekken isnt really a big technical fighter but it is great fun. I hated all the tekkens but I love this one. and its more fun with mates around because it is a very accessable game for all to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Jin? Steve? Feng? Asuka?
    So hard to choose 1 to master -- think I'll try them all :rolleyes:
    Feng clearly, while he has trouble with side stepped, you cant help but love moves like back+1, back+1+2,SS+4, back+2,3,4,2. And jin is evil, so powerful, second only to Steve, and Steve is EVIL! :) Although I would recommend playing a bit of both of them, its easier to fight against a charecter you know your self, and since every man and his dog plays either Steve or Jin their both worth learning a little imo.

And I strongly recommend anyone who wants to get any good at Tekken to read the Zaibatsu forums(link in kiki's post), some very good advice and techniques in there that can really help your game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭batman_oh

ive never been beaten by a button masher adn as a tekken arcade player who has acutally travelled to the uk to take part in tournies and meets with thebest players in europe i have played thousands of people at this stage i wud say from tekken 3 to tekken 5
    tekken 4 sucked arse but i still got sent to london by sony ireland to take part in the world championships coz i cud beat every1 who played it even tho i hated it, most of them were masher or 10 string abusers, none of them even won a round
    3 is the most balanced of all
    and as for people sayin their slow, thats because of the ****ty pal versions, the game was never full speed here till tekken 5, which is slow like tekken 4 since they changed the dynamics of the game
    go play the ntsc ps2 or arcade tekken tag and i guarantee u wont be able to keep up, its on of the fastest fightin games ever made
    download a korea vid, theres some of tekken 5.1 here http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=11
    also
    tag is the best by far(not the ****ty pal version) had the greatest worldwide appeal, lasted 5 years at high level play and is accepted as the best
    5 is great, steve is just a little too good, and nina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 espmind101

that is a problem with tekken 5, nina and steve. However if you look at tekken 4 steve was just not even cool, way to fast and chained like non other... in 5 he is slower and has more openings, but you gotta play some1 that can quick trip steve or else he just inturupts most moves, since the fastest moves in the game have 8 frames of animation and steve has alot of them.

When & where do you even enter these contests? I'll admit to not having gone to Dr Quirky's in months (saving, studying & just plain sucking saw to that), but I never saw any fliers or anything... not that I'm any good with a stick, due to not having one... yet :D

BTW, is it just me, or is T5 really hard to play with a pad? I find a 1,3,4.2 or similar combo impossible to come out >99% due to the weird, quick timings required... oh dear...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

watch the move demos in the practice mode and you can see the timings played out. but its still hard to do it when its all hectic in the middle of a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭flowerpotfrog

that batman dude is alright, lol, i played him in quirkes, i got a round off him with low kicks SUCKER.

imo, universal characher hierarchy:

steve
    nina
    bryan
    law
    paul
    feng

JIN FTW!
    i cold get a 3 second KO in TTT with jin. Devil jins movelist is almost identicals, but they changed it so his corkscrew uppercut cant hit a prone enemy now, which means my coup de grace of the 3 second KO doesnt work with devil jin in T5 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭batman_oh

namco tried to address the issue of steve in t4 and every thought when they reintroduced spacing that he wud suffer
    however they gave him new movesl like 121-albatross that made him worse
    the main prob is hes too safe, nothin he does can be punished guaranteed, meaning he can continously throw crap and its up to u to get lucky and pick him off
    still, t4 sucked, t5 is good
    5.1 looks decently balanced altho steve looks cack in it!
    myself i only play in quirkeys out of boredom, the sticks are garbage and make it almost unplayable
    back in the days of ttt they had a great machine there and a brilliant one in barneys, there used to be literllay crowds of people always playin tekken tag in the arcade
    me and a few mates arranged tournies and all and i managed an 82 win streak in barneys on ttt
    be warned however in quirkeys
    there are two guys, brothers, DOS and JOS and they actually cheat to get ranked and get the highest winnin streaks
    they play each other with cards and have about 20 cards between them, bad ones to get the charachters ranked and good ones that get ranked
    they have cards with 200 wins and 1 loss becasue they put in credits and play each other and let the good card win
    its really very sad theyre puttin like 20 and 30 quid at a time into it at a time and arent even playin any1 just to get the cards ranked with impressive win loss ratios
    who they gonna impress ill never know!

batman_oh wrote:
    be warned however in quirkeys
    there are two guys, brothers, DOS and JOS and they actually cheat to get ranked and get the highest winnin streaks
    they play each other with cards and have about 20 cards between them, bad ones to get the charachters ranked and good ones that get ranked
    they have cards with 200 wins and 1 loss becasue they put in credits and play each other and let the good card win
    its really very sad theyre puttin like 20 and 30 quid at a time into it at a time and arent even playin any1 just to get the cards ranked with impressive win loss ratios
    who they gonna impress ill never know!

Maybe they're trying to impress Nina! :pBaka!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

that batman dude is alright, lol, i played him in quirkes, i got a round off him with low kicks SUCKER.

imo, universal characher hierarchy:

steve
    nina
    bryan
    law
    paul
    feng

hmmmmm....
    im sure after alot of www.shoryuken.com tourneys there will be some sort of "officail" tier made like wat happend with SC2 and SSBM, go on the sheik!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭flowerpotfrog

here are two guys, brothers, DOS and JOS

actually, i've seen these guys too and though the second guys name was JOG, could be wrong though. seem like lovely fellas.

Advertisement