Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Safe

Options
  • 14-08-2005 12:38pm

I think there was a thread on this before but where can I get a new / second hand gun safe for two / three rifles?

For once Buy & Sell has failed me......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Most gun dealers should have a selection ,

One thing to watch out for is the sizes .. many gunsafes are designed for shotguns and tend to be both a little short and not quite deep enough for a rifle and scope combination .

BTW : Check that it has the BS7558 approval tag on it , I'm sure this came up before .

Whats the BS7558 Tag for?

I just want a safe that will hold an air and target rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

O_P, give Geoff a shout before the debrief next saturday and he can sort one out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭irish_stu

alpha lock in tallaght have good selection,i just purchased a 4 gun deep with shelving on top and from top to bottom.fits rifles with scopes and even has an area cut out off top part of shelf for those with supressors fitted.its an INFAC, 5 point locking system,all for 350 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 44 P38Man

Woodies are selling gun safes (BSA standard I think) - try an 8 gun safe for 250 Euro

P38man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

P.J. Mc Cormack Balheary Swords has Brattonsound 4 Gun Extra Deep for
    scopes for around €220.PM if you want phone number.

Again, I think that I am repeating a thread, but I can't find the old one - Whats the BSA stuff again? Also, is it a problem if the safe is second hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

BS7558/92 is the British Standard for gun safes

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Yes, Iv asked this question before but got no replies. :confused: .
    On the Infac safes which i have, i cant find any stam with it.
    Where is the BS7558/92 stamped, or does it come with a manual with it on it, which i did not seem to get?
    My infac safe is new and cost only 250 euro.
    Its a 6 gun, deep for scopes and has a lokable top for ammo.
    Very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

BS = British Standard, Infac safes are made in Italy, if I remember correctly, no particular reason they'd be tested to BS7558. Ive already mentioned that if anything, they exceed the requirements.

• Advertisement

What if the guards, as said before, ask for the BS standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There should be some kind of EU or world equivalent standard Keelan. There is a *huge* amount of work done by groups like ISO to ensure that this is so.

Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Can't locate any EN or ISO standards on this subject. There are probably local standards in verious countries, but they'd be hard to obtain.

If the guards look for a BS standard cabinet, you could point out that that standard has no legal standing here, isn't particularly rigorous in any case, and that if they look at the detail of an individual cabinet, they may find it provides greater security than one nominally constructed to BS7558.e way, that sticker doesn't certify that the cabinet has been independently tested as to it's conformace to the standard.

Here's the foreword from the standard:
    This British Standard has been prepared under the direction of the Consumer
    and Contract Goods Standards Policy Committee to provide requirements for
    cabinets intended to be used for the secure storage of firearms and ammunition.
    The Firearms Rules 1989 prescribe a safekeeping condition to appear on a
    firearm certificate requiring that the firearm(s) and ammunition to which the
    certificate relates are stored securely at all times so as to prevent unauthorized
    access, so far as is reasonably practicable, except when the firearm or
    ammunition is in use or being cleaned, repaired or tested or is in transit. A similar
    safekeeping condition appears on a shotgun certificate.
    It is emphasized that a gun cabinet to this British Standard may be only one of a
    number of equally acceptable alternatives for satisfying the safekeeping
    condition of the Firearms Rules.
    The level of security provided by a gun cabinet is considered to be a combination
    of the factors of the time and tools available to a potential thief and the concept
    of resistance to physical attack has been adopted for this British Standard based
    upon the probable determination of a criminal to gain access to a stored firearm.
    The requirements of this specification assume that the average potential thief is
    an opportunist and is not a determined criminal specifically seeking to obtain
    firearms, who would be difficult to counter effectively by inexpensive means.
    In the development of this British Standard it was demonstrated that the
    specification only of the design and construction features of a gun cabinet was
    insufficient to provide adequate resistance to sustained forcible attack; cabinets
    made to the most stringent existing design and construction requirements still
    provided points of weakness which could be breached in less than 1 min by the
    methods of physical attack described in this standard. However, some aspects of
    construction have been included in the standard to provide additional security in
    the case of more subtle attempts to achieve access.
    The physical attack tests of this standard are based upon a predicted worst case
    for knowledge, location, tools and time to provide for a significant safety margin
    where care is taken by the user over the siting of a cabinet, the use of any internal
    restraining devices provided and the overall security of the premises in which the
    cabinet is located.
    Purchasers of a gun cabinet claimed to conform to the requirements of this
    British Standard are advised to request the vendor to provide a test certificate
    from an independent testing organization for a type test conducted on
    representative examples of the cabinet.
    A British Standard does not purport to include all the necessary provisions of a
    contract. Users of British Standards are responsible for their correct application.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Hi,
    I have both Brattonsound and Infac safes.
    The Infac in my opinion is a much stronger safe with a better locking system.
    My Brattonsound is an old safe though.
    Maybe the quality is better now as mine has individual locks for each compartment, two on the main door and one on the top.
    Where you locate your safe is just as important as the quality of your safe.
    The locking side of the safe should always be protected by a wall if possible e.g. place the safe in a corner of a room with the lock side againsted a wall.
    I'm not going to explain why, I'll just say that a locksmith gave me a brief discription of why I should do this and I took the trouble to unbolt my safe and moved it the next day.
    Slug

Advertisement