Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other Processors

• 30-03-1999 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hmm I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything good or bad about the less well-known processors out there?

Can't remember some of the names off by heart but I've heard some of them are fairly good....

Kegs.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

At the moment I have a rather large hatred of all processors made by Cyrix. They're absimal. They don't run as fast as they say and you only get 2 more fps from a cyrix 300 over a cyrix 200. Stay away.

Draco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I was thinking more along the lines of the lesser known processors? Not AMD or Cyrix or Intel like....

Kegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

http://www.digital.com/info/hpc/news/news_spec_feb99.html
    for info on Compaqs Alpha 21264 (EV6) processor , this baby flies... 575 Mhz.

or a Dual Intel P3 Xeon system mmmmmm smile.gif

check out http://www.specbench.org/osg/cpu95/results/cpu95.html
    for a full list of benchmarks by loads of systems... many of which would wipe the floor with your P2 or c300a tongue.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The only other one I can think of(bar the DEC ALPHA et al)is the IDT Winchip. Ermmmmm.... less said the better
    really. Nice idea but.....

Cartman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭krinDar

Less well known ?? x86 compatible or not ??

If your talking x86 you've heard about them all,

If you mean others, (SPARC, PA-RISC, Alpha, RS-6000 etc)
    They are brillant chips. But they don't run
    anything from M$, well the Alpha runs NT but badly.

Also they are expensive but if you wanna do development
    or run decent servers they are well worth it.

(An UltraSPARC 5 is about 3-5 grand IIRC)

• Advertisement
Advertisement