Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal VS Newcastle (Contains Scores)

• 14-08-2005 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭

Great game so far really starting to heat up . The foul on Gilberto from Jenas which resulted in Red Card was horrific. Anyone who is watching that says that it wasn't sending are mad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Didn't deserve a red card...

He got a touch on the ball, and caught Gilberto with his trailing leg. No contact with studs (unlike Campo yesterday). What's more, the Arsenal players seemed genuinely surprised by the red.

At that stage of a top game, a yellow would have sufficed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Did look quite bad and it was from behind.

Willem D wrote:
    Did look quite bad and it was from behind.

It was from behind, yes. So a yellow card.

I knew he would walk instantly when I saw it, but I also knew it didn't deserve it. I havr to say, I think Bennet was swayed by yesterday's incidents, saw Jenas dive in, and automatically reached for his red card. Doesn't make it right though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Not a red card for me. Pretty reckless challenge, should've been a yellow. His feet were low, no studs showing. Mr. Bennett was too trigger-happy with his card, which is a shame really because it's a good game with a high tempo. Frustrating as hell for Arsenal, they haven't created much, good work-rate from Newcastle.

I suppose but Ian Darke was saying the refs are taking a harder line , but thats what they say every year.

• Advertisement

First weekend of the season and I can already envision a referee rant + fine for Souness :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Didn't think it deserved a red-card. As Gray is pointing out, the referee could NEVER have seen it.

Andy Gray is spot on. Bennet couldn't have seen the incident, he never went near his line-o. Terrible decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Having watch the replay again at half time its definitely a potential leg breaker. Id be frustrated if it were against me but you could have no complaints really.

Thankfully Gilberto lifted his standing leg when Jenas came through, I reckon it would have been a break otherwise.

• Advertisement

Having seen it now during the half time break, I have to admit he did get some of the ball. Also I dont know how the referee saw the foul he was standing behind Scott Parker without any sort of view and to make such a judgement. Yet again Steve Bennett ruins a game because of his most awful judgement.

He based his decision solely on the players reactions. Typical refereeing.

Andy Gray is spot on. Bennet couldn't have seen the incident, he never went near his line-o. Terrible decision.
    Andy Gray is talking nonsense.

Just because for a split second on a freeze frame the 5'9'' Scott Parker is in the line of sight of Steve Bennett (who is actually quite tall for a ref) he cant see the incident?

Andy Gray is talking nonsense.

Just because for a split second on a freeze frame the 5'9'' Scott Parker is in the line of sight of Steve Bennett (who is actually quite tall for a ref) he cant see the incident?

So he'd a clear view then? Bo**ox to be honest.

Yeah I will agree he could not have a clear enough view of the foul, he is defo reacting to how the crowd reacts along with senderos.

So he'd a clear view then? Bo**ox to be honest.
    He definitely had a view of an incident, it might not have been the best view possible but an elevated camera angle showing a tiny Parker running across his LOS for a split second doesnt negate his view entirely.

Jenas is lucky he didnt break his leg. He came straight in from behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Didn't deserve a red card...

He got a touch on the ball, and caught Gilberto with his trailing leg. No contact with studs (unlike Campo yesterday). What's more, the Arsenal players seemed genuinely surprised by the red.

At that stage of a top game, a yellow would have sufficed.

he got a touch on the ball, yea but he went THROUGH the player to get it. no contact with studs? you dont need contact with studs to break someones leg. he caught gilbertos standing leg, you can clearly see his ankle just bend over as jenas went through him.

recklessone, this is the kinda tacking you wanna cut out of the game, and i'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that was just a yellow is watchin too much GAA

Yeah ok then but the point is in what you said if he didnt have the clearest of views , he cant make judgments like he did. Although I will say I thought it was horrific but I dont think the referee was in a position to make such a big decision.

He definitely had a view of an incident, it might not have been the best view possible but an elevated camera angle showing a tiny Parker running across his LOS for a split second doesnt negate his view

Parker was between Bennett and Jenas/Gilberto. Therefore Bennett could not have seen anything other than maybe the head of Gilberto. To say he could see the tackle is complete bs.
    VinnyL wrote:
    recklessone, this is the kinda tacking you wanna cut out of the game, and i'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that was just a yellow is watchin too much GAA

So Andy Gray / Jamie Redknapp / Alan Smith etc.. are watching too much GAA?

In regards to Vinnys comments what would you prefer a Tackle free game , as Ian Darke mentioned about Michel Platini ideals for the future.

• Advertisement

VinnyL wrote:

Two full games in five years. That too much?

He'd a linesman available who had a much better view of the incident. Did he consult him? Did he f*ck as like. He was swayed by yesterday's incidents and made a bad call. If you want to remove tackling from the game fair enough. Be honest enough to say it.

MrJoeSoap wrote:

So Andy Gray / Jamie Redknapp / Alan Smith etc.. are watching too much GAA?

I'd include Henry in that list, he didn't seem to think it warranted a red.

Henry is trying to act all diplomatic since he has been made captain. :D

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Parker was between Bennett and Jenas/Gilberto. Therefore Bennett could not have seen anything other than maybe the head of Gilberto. To say he could see the tackle is complete bs.
    For a split second on one of Andy Grays magical camera angles Parker is in his LOS.

What this elevated camera angle doesnt convey is that Parker is only 5'9''. Looking at Bennett against other players he looks easily over six foot.

The tackle was a very potential leg-breaker (would you not agree?), potential leg-breakers should be outlawed and punished.

I'd include Henry in that list, he didn't seem to think it warranted a red.

I thought about including him but my lip-reading doesn't yet extend to French accents!

Nice goal-mouth scramble there, theres only one team going to win this one and its a shame because Newcastle were excellent until the red card.

For a split second on one of Andy Grays magical camera angles Parker is in his LOS.

What this elevated camera angle doesnt convey is that Parker is only 5'9''. Looking at Bennett against other players he looks easily over six foot.

The tackle was a very potential leg-breaker (would you not agree?), potential leg-breakers should be outlawed and punished.

Sorry Jivin Turkey, I don't mean to be a bitch, but I honestly dont feel Bennett saw it. He made the decisions on reactions.

How Newcastle still in this , Arsenal are running them ragged.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Sorry Jivin Turkey, I don't mean to be a bitch, but I honestly dont feel Bennett saw it. He made the decisions on reactions.
    Haha, did you do that yourself?

As I said already, Parker was only in his LOS for a split second. Parker is not a 6' X 6' brick wall and there is more ways to see than over his head.

The tackle was reckless and very dangerous, do you not agree with that? Gilberto was lucky not to be seriously injured. Hence whether you think he had a view of it or not is immaterial, he called it right.

Id happily have a ref that was blind once he always made the right call.

Given has been excellent today again. Seems to like playing at Highbury. Could Arsenal be held scoreless for the first time in AGES at Highbury?

I've a feeling Given might be called on once or twice more...

Parker is a fcuking beast.

Sorry Jivin Turkey, I know he's not a 6 x 6 brick wall (although at times...) but for the second or two as the tackle went in Bennett was unsighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Given once again showing that he's the best keeper along with cech in the premiership.WHAT a save..Its only a matter of time before the gunners score tho :rolleyes:

dan :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I agree, i seen many identical tackles get a yellow card. If the player on the receiving end was from newcastle it would of been a yellow, because the crowds reaction and the hysterics from the arsenal players made it look much worse.

Edge of the seat stuff now, and I'm a neutral!

Penalty, the right decision. Come on Shay!

Defo peno for sure.

God damn french git , they certainly dont deserve the win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lovely stuff. Thierry is my FF captain!

Willem D wrote:
    God damn french git , they certainly dont deserve the win.

Had the sending-off been deserved, I would have said Arsenal deserve the win.

2-0, great counter from the Goons.

How did he do that?? Great finishing!

Good goal the dutch lad has got talent.

• Advertisement

Game over, very unlucky Newcastle.

Game over, very unlucky Newcastle.

Here here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thats a tough break for Newcaslte, but it coulda been a worse break for Gilberto.
    I don't think Jenas had intent to injure, but the tackle was very very dangerous, and he deserved a straight red.
    Harsh peno though

Phb did you think that Bennett made the right decision considering his position and view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I dont think he could have made the decesion.

Regrding the tackle im unsure wether i think it shoulda beena sending off.

There was no intent and i feel that when he went for the tackle it was more from the side than behind and became behind as gilberto turned. Id tend to lean that it was a harsh sending off.

The peno i think was a peno. The reaction on the players face said it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think that he was right to be sent off, how the ref made that decision is beyond me, they are professionals after all, and they have techniques to make decisions that i dont have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

didnt think it was a red card. it was bad but ive seen worse. newcastle defended well, huge improvement on last year. emre looked class in the first half. parker will be a great signing.

so all in all this should be a good season for newcastle but they def need another striker. michael owen would be a huge sigining for them.

The F.A. today reduced the red card to a yellow so Jenas will avoid the 3-match ban. Bennett also gave a written apology to Jenas and Newcastle.
    Althought I didn't think it was a red, that's a strange one.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=298929&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Ref+admits+Jenas+error&channel=football_home

I still think it was a potential leg-breaker, very dangerous, and deserved of the red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

didnt see any of the games over the weekend cos i was working :mad: does anybody have a link to a video clip for the tackle?? a link for the United goals would be good as well :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement