Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Debt

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Being 'Unemployed' is not in itself an automatic ban on you getting a personal loan

It certainly doesn't go in your favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

esperanza wrote:
    Why do you need a credit card? :confused: (because your friends have one?, because you support capitalism?). If you earn a decent salary, then you shouldn't need credit, and if you don't earn a decent salary then get some more qualifications to get a better-paid job. Or, get a part-time job, set up a business on the side to get some extra cash. Look at ways to save money. That way you won't need loans or credit cards, and you won't suffer from claustrophobia.

The only people who profit from credit cards are the banks.

When are people going to wake up to that? :confused:

If you're sensible you can use your credit card for short term loans. With mine I have 56 days to pay it off before I get charged interest. I've been able to treat myself to a holiday this year when I couldn't afford it and I paid it off when I got back. That's a nice little luxury. Also my credit card covered my travel insurance, another nice little luxury. Come October I plan on putting half my evening course fees on the credit card and I'll pay that off within 56 days as well.

So basically this year I've had a holiday and I'm going to get myself some extra edumecation all thanks to my good auld flexible friend. What do the bank get out of it? Absolutely zilch.

They try to catch me out by increasing my limit. I'm up to €7,200 which believe me is a ridiculous amount of money for my salary!! They can try all they want but they won't trip me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

esperanza wrote:
    Why do you need a credit card? :confused: (because your friends have one?, because you support capitalism?). If you earn a decent salary, then you shouldn't need credit, and if you don't earn a decent salary then get some more qualifications to get a better-paid job. Or, get a part-time job, set up a business on the side to get some extra cash. Look at ways to save money. That way you won't need loans or credit cards, and you won't suffer from claustrophobia.

The only people who profit from credit cards are the banks.

If you're sensible you can use your credit card for short term loans. With mine I have 56 days to pay it off before I get charged interest. I've been able to treat myself to a holiday this year when I couldn't afford it and I paid it off when I got back. That's a nice little luxury. Also my credit card covered my travel insurance, another nice little luxury. Come October I plan on putting half my evening course fees on the credit card and I'll pay that off within 56 days as well.

So basically this year I've had a holiday and I'm going to get myself some extra edumecation all thanks to my good auld flexible friend. What do the bank get out of it? Absolutely zilch.

They try to catch me out by increasing my limit. I'm up to €7,200 which believe me is a ridiculous amount of money for my salary!! They can try all they want but they won't trip me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Gegerty wrote:

Ok, that sounds great, unfortunately most people aren't as intelligent as you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 janS

Thanks for the replies again.

Have the credit card for at least 5 years and have never had a problem - mainly cause I had a job.

I think its brilliant the way ye are all so great about managing your credit cards - some good ideas - the lesson I guess is to not use the card unless you have a job - in this sense I mean you have something coming in every month to pay the bill.

I have to add though that although I do appreciate the good advice, that some of the posts have been a bit shi*ty and condesending.

Im not looking to be judged.

Seriously.

Anyways back on topic, can anyone please tell me/name some other credit card agencies with good interest? I honestly dont know of other card agencies except those large national banks (please PM if you prefer).

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

esperanza wrote:
    Why do you need a credit card? ...
    The only people who profit from credit cards are the banks...

sidebar
    the govt profit from cards also by taking EUR 40 pa.

anyhow I see what you're saying but even if you have cash bulging in your wallet you still need a creditcard to order stuff online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Credit Cards can be excellent cashflow management tools too is used carefuly. I use my cc a lot (and pay in full every month). I'm basically deferring expenditure by 1-2 months on all my purchases. I could pay cash up front but choose to use the card and keep the cash in Rabobank earning me 3% for those couple of months.

Advertisement