Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PD's want Dublin port relocated out of Dublin to Balbriggan

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Maskhadov wrote:
    If the port was relocated maybe we could finally get rid of the ugly north bull island.

With that comment it'll be hard to take anything you say seriously anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Well put it like this, if they were going to relcoate Dublin Port and they were building a new sewage system for Dublin where would they put the sewage system ?

Do you want a nice view of Dublin bay or do you want a modern 21st century city with views of great buildings (if the designers do a good job). Personally I would take the option of having nice views of modern high rise buildings and a better quality of life (increased availablity of accomodation, lower rent costs in other parts of the city, among many other advangtages).

If we had proper planning in this island we could have used the rail network to distribute freight. However that is not the case and were stuck with HGV's everywhere. Of course relocating the port out of Dublin will mean that a considerable amount of HGV's are going to end up driving down to Dublin. Its still a better option for the nation.

It was man made BlueTonic ! Take a trip out to the west coast if you want to see beaches. There is thousands of Km's of unspoilt coastline. Dublin is the econmic centre in this island. Progress cant be stopped for a load of sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Bill McH

Maskhadov wrote:
    the ugly north bull island.
    The what? It's beautiful, and it's useful. There's a beautiful blue flag on the "ugly" Bull Island which is a real credit to the city council and whoever else was involved. There's a very important "marsh" area between the island and the mainland which acts as a temporary home for many migrating birds. It might be better if so much of the island wasn't off limits because of the golf courses, but at least they are an indication of what useful recreational land the island is.

Maskhadov wrote:
    Dublin is the econmic centre in this island. Progress cant be stopped for a load of sand.

Whatever next......whats your plans for the 1760 acres in the centre of Dublin? After all Progress cant be stopped for a load of <insert sand/trees/fields/etc>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Blue Flag me rear end. We live about 150km away from a nuclear power station and all those world war 2 munitions keep washing up on the east coast that the brits dumped in the Irish sea.

It was man made so we can unmake it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Bill McH

Actually, now that I'm wider awake, it occurs to me that you could only be talking about the peninsula of land between the Liffey and Tolka estuaries (i.e. the north port), rather than the Bull Island, which is north of the Tolka estuary and which does have a blue flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭NavanJunction1

Bluetonic wrote:
    There are no provisions for extra rail lines on the northern suburban line, also as the northern suburban line travels straight through the centre of Balbriggan I'm sure you'd find opossition to major night time rail movements. At present they are few and far between

But if the Navan-Cllonsilla line is opened, goods could be shipped by Train to Dublin via Drogheda Navan.

And that line would pass by Clonee / Blanchardstown.

But if the Navan-Cllonsilla line is opened, goods could be shipped by Train to Dublin via Drogheda Navan.

And that line would pass by Clonee / Blanchardstown.

Thats madness.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Thats madness.

Maybe, but would it have it's uses? Considering the northern line into Dublin is clogged.

Maybe, but would it have it's uses? Considering the northern line into Dublin is clogged.

Well I'd imagine the Navan line will be used to full capacity once it opens too. I think the rail movement of freight throughout the country would be inefficent anyhow, not enough rail lines and interconnectivity.

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote:
    I'd imagine the Navan line will be used to full capacity once it opens too

I wouldn't say full capacity immediately, and definately not out side of peaktime.

Navan won't have intercity trains on it either, to compete for space. In reverse, the Tara Mines train that use the Navan Drogheda Dublin line would be running to Balbriggan instead..

Maybe not that crazy. Also it could offer an alternative path into Dublin from Belfast if ever needed..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

I wouldn't say full capacity immediately, and definately not out side of peaktime.

What a tragedy then that the CIE Railway Division have absolutely no intension of reopening the Clonsilla-Navan route, nor indeed upgrading the Drogheda-Navan line for passengers.

Has MeathonTrack considered approaching the RPA to build a standard gauge, electrified, double-track, brand new rail line to Navan from Broadstone via Ashbourne similar in spec to the line which was built to serve Oslo Airport by NSS?

Unlike CIE Railway Division, the RPA have the business accume and commerical awareness to put together a PPP to make this happen (CIE only do this when building office blocks). Platform for Change evaluated the Navan Rail Link as a viable PPP - but with the victorian ethos of CIE this would not going to happen, but this most certainly is the RPAs field.

The RPA will be owners of the Broadstone station and alignment by 2012 and will by all accounts have a Luas line servicing it. Unlike the CIE Railway Division, the RPA are very eager to sell and market the mass transit communter rail product.

If you are with MeathonTrack I would suggest arranging a meeting with the RPA and not just depending on Dr John Lynch to come up to Navan and insult your intelligence.

CIE will never reopen Broadstone in the same way they refused to open the Harcourt Street line as anything other than a busway. The RPA can think outside the box, and they to me would be the best bet for getting a high-frequency mass-transit commuter rail line to Navan.

I would forget CIE - they are for hanging baskets and choo-choos in the sticks.

Transport21 Fan - How is any of this relevant to the topic on hand?

Try not to use this excellent thread on the relocation of Dublin port to Bremore as a soapbox please, there already enough threads covering your points and its certaintly not relevant to this one.

to Navan from Broadstone

Apologies Bluetonic - I'll just mention a quick point here re Broadstone.

Believe it or not, Broadstone is regarded favourably in Meath because the new 20,000 DIT is going to be amagamated in Grangegorman next door in Grangegorman. Broadstone, as you know backs onto Grangegorman.

Also Meath has no Third level institution, so it would be a goodend to families in the county to have the college so accessible. No costly digs nessessary, 50miins to Dublin, etc.

As things stand with the Luas proposal to Liffey Junction, students would have to pay tickets on train and Luas to get there. Make sense, even for Kildare people to use Broadstone as a station for some services again. Still connected to Luas btw.

Anyway, apologies for the detour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

Bluetonic, it is relevant in the sense that the CIE Railway Division currently operating under the Iranrod Eireann brand, will no more run a railfreight track to the proposed port at Balbriggian anymore than they will run a commuter one to Navan. Same shower will not run tracks to either location if they can help it.

So the two topics are very much related.

PS: It was not me who diverage the thread.

Advertisement