Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity supply companies

Options
  • 14-08-2005 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

I thought the market for supply of electrcity to domestic users was being opened up, So ESB does not have the monopoly? Are there any other suppliers around the country we can get electric off instead of ESB?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Airtricity - but guess what.....there no price difference. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

I found this a while ago. Shows the alternatives, for what their worth.

http://www.valueireland.com/tips/electricity_competition.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I love this country.

ESB, a public company owned by us, the taxpayer is being run as a private company.
    The ESB made over 250 million in profits last year even though (or is that because of!?)they've had several large price increases.

Personally I think the reason for this is to make the electricity market look profitable so that external companies will come in.

So, they jack up the price of electricity to generate competition which should lower the price of electricity!

It's a banana republic where the bananas are in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭JJDoherty

From what I can figure out the only company supplying domestic user so far is Airtricity. I have sent away for an application form which will provide more details etc.

Their price is exactly the same as the ESB although it is environmentally friendly, so why not. If anyone is aware of other energy companies that supply domestic user then please do post them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

The cost of generating Electricity is more expensive than burning fossil fuels. so Airtricity are making a lower profit by offering electricity at the same price as the ESB.

But why arn't compeditors entering the Irish domestic market??
    There's no money in it.
    The money is in industrial and commercial supply.

So the only company likely to supply electricity to doemstic customers in the forseable future is ESB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭JJDoherty

The cost of generating Electricity is more expensive than burning fossil fuels. so Airtricity are making a lower profit by offering electricity at the same price as the ESB.

But why arn't compeditors entering the Irish domestic market??
    There's no money in it.
    The money is in industrial and commercial supply.

So the only company likely to supply electricity to doemstic customers in the forseable future is ESB.
    Don't think that it is that straight forward. ESB Networks has introduced a cap on the amount of power generated from wind farms that can join the national grid, I think at around 2%. As a result the likes of Airtricity are reconsidering the construction of further wind farms which would expand their network and make the venture more economically viable.

It is a strange decision as the likes of Denmark manage 20% or more of their power being generated from wind! Probably more related to fear of competition on the ESB's behalf.

It is cheaper at present to continue to burn fossil fuels in plants that were built and paid for long ago, but with the removal of the cap this will change, rapidly, as the cost of constructing a medium sized wind farm is still well below that of building a traditional fossil fuel burning plant.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

We are with Airtricity now for a few months. At the moment they are the same price as the ESB but when the ESB increase their prices because of higher fuel costs, Airtricity should stay at the same price (at least that's what they claimed when I joined up). Apart from that, you are doing your bit for the environment by going with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR ELECTRICTY PROVIDER AND SAVE

I am currently using CH Power for Electricity at home. They give over over 5% discount to ESB customers who are NOT on the ESB Night saver package. You can save a huge amount a year by ditching the ESB for CH Power.

Contact Kathy Multaney at kathy@chpower.ie is good at dealing with switch overs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 happywestern

I contacted CH Power to get a quote, but the reply was they did not do domestic only business. My uncle who has a business dealt with Electricwise they also gave him a plug in unit for his house which he claims cut his bill by 20%. I contacted them via there website www.electricwise.com where they have a news letter to inform of changes in supply for domestic market, I decided to get a plug in unit and enquired how could I pay for it, I was told try it out for a few weeks and then get back to us.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I decided to get a plug in unit and enquired how could I pay for it, I was told try it out for a few weeks and then get back to us.

1) How much are they?
    2) Where do you get it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 happywestern

LFCFan wrote:
    1) How much are they?
    2) Where do you get it?

It costs €99
    Got it from Tony at electricwise in blanchardstown, Dublin there email info@electricwise.com

Advertisement