Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

separate power supply

Options
  • 14-08-2005 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

i was thinking of putting a separate psu for fans and case functions.
    basically to conserve as much power as possible in my existing power supply for oc, but also to reduce the extra heat. it cant be that hard to do, has anyone else tried this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Im doing this right now :). All u need to do is short the green wire to the black wire, easy as that :).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Im doing this right now :). All u need to do is short the green wire to the black wire, easy as that :).

Or wire a switch between them

http://www.speedy3d.com/articles/case_mod_p3/index.shtml

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=88976&highlight=Hooking+PSU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=173104

I did it a while ago on one of my old pcs(see thread above) tis easy to do, u'll get everything u need in a motor factors

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

ok, i could switch the psu on without mobo, then just wire the new psu into the old psu plug at the socket on the wall. should work.
    thanks lads

just read your previous thread unklerosco, have you noticed any temps drop in the case?, have you been able to push the oc a bit further?.

• Advertisement

That pc is long long gone... My Zalman could handle everything, i was just bored one day n did it. Didn't work out as the second PSU i was using blew up.. oh the memories. Heat wise i don't think u'll see much of a difference. What r the specs of ur PC n PSU??

firstly it's a dell 4600 modded into a thermaltake shark black case,
    p4 2.8ghz oc'd to 3.2ghz with a gigabyte 3dcooler heatsink ,
    ati 9800128mb(256b)pro bios flashed to xt,
    1ghz pc3200 ram,
    3 hd's,
    2dvd drives,
    thermaltake hardcano 13(looks after the main fans),
    vantec 3 fan+light controller
    and few cathodes+leds.
    i have alot goin on in the m/c, was thinkin of upgrading, then i found out how to overclock the cpu, it's a software mod through cpucool, it does the job.
    i was benchmarking the machine lastnight, so i turned up the cpu hs fan, the screen went a bit funny, i bought it back to normal speed and the screen returned. now i reckon with the new softmod, i sucking so much juice out of the psu, that it took it from somewhere else, making me think i need more juice. what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Are you still using the dell motherboard? If so that would be the first thing to get rid of if you are looking for a decent overclock.

If ur still using the Dell Mobo n PSU dump them n get new ones, a decent 480w PSU will do u fine n an asus mobo will give u stable overclocks(well most mobos will but i like asus)

i am using a dell mobo, even though it limits my overclocking, i'm goin to have to wait for a while b4 thrashing it.
    what would be a decent oc on the 2.8 with air cooling.

• Advertisement

i agree on the asus, my friend has one and swears by them, my next m/c will be a self build.

Well on my old 2.8 i could get it to 3.5/3.6 stable no probs... With WC it was nearer 3.8 stable...

If ur still using the DELL PSU then thats whats holding u back...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Beware running stuff off the second PSU, running PSU's without a significant load on them can damage them - they are designed to work optimally under load. At the minimum, continue to run your CPU fan off the main PSU, at least if the second one dies it will keep running.

point taken stephen thanks,
    unklerosco, i tried to overclock it higher than 3.2ghz, the m/c knocks off. do you think it is the psu holding me back. any idea of the dell psu rating?
    dont say ****!!!
    what you think of any of this psu
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306647&cks=PRL
    it's probaly overkill, but it could be recycled into my next m/c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Thats far to much. A good 400W one would be enough.

Also, whats a m/c? :s

was thinkin that meself, have you any recommendations in mind?
    also m/c = machine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Wouldn't this generate more heat ? I looked briefly into something like this a while back and I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that if there's little load on a PSU, it has to turn a lot of the current going through the transformers into heat.

how did you get on endurance man, have you installed the new psu yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

how did you get on endurance man, have you installed the new psu yet?

Ye m8, when i said im doing this right now i meant iv been running a psu like this for a wile :). Iv been running all my fans of a 350w for about 4months now and no problems so far. I added a much quieter fan into it so its silent and generates no heat that i can feel.

Advertisement