Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wigan v chelsea contains scores

• 14-08-2005 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭

So the champions versus the new boys.Everyone is expecting a drubbing for wigan but i think the result of this game may surprise alot of people.Jose Morinho said that he had scouts watching their pre-season and that he has alot of respect for all of their players,he also said that he fully expects to win!!!!nothing new there then.

I am really looking forward to this one...COME ON WIGAN

Dan :cool:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Here's hoping Lampard scores a dozen but Chelsea still lose! (Lampard is my FF captain) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

kaids wrote:
    Here's hoping Lampard scores a dozen but Chelsea still lose! (Lampard is my FF captain) :)

Get down the bookies so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Arjen De Zeuww and Stephane Henchoz at CB for Wigan. Pace personified. I think Jewell will learn a harsh lesson today for this.

0-3.

Robben, Drogba and Crespo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Chelsea:

Cech
    Ferreira
    Gallas
    Terry
    Del Horno
    Gudjohnsen
    Lampard
    Makelele
    Robben
    Duff
    Drogba

Subs:
    Cudicini
    Crespo,
    Joe Cole
    Wright-Phillips
    Huth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I'll go 0-4 (14-1 with PP, by the way).

• Advertisement

Three of Wigan's back four and their keeper are playing their first game together. Ill revise my prediction to 4-0.

I think Wigan have a genuine chance of staying up, but I think they are going to experience a steep learning curve before they start putting results together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

i completely agree with the fact that they will have a steep learning curve.i'm goin for 1-0 to chelsea though.

drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

anyone know where there's a live video feed online?

What a start...COME ON WIGAN.....camara shud have 2!!!hahahahaha..make that 3..jesus christ what a start for wigan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Yeah, but he missed em... :(
    COME ON WIGAN

My prediction 2-0 Chelsea. Drogba, Lampard. Either side of half-time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Do these muppets know how to finish at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Pity about the poor finishing from Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Theres a chance this is on ya know.
    Wigan are defending like Titans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Oh and Wigan hit the bar.

good game Chelsea being stopped and stopped well.

kdjac

Wigan came so close with that Francis header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Can't beleive just how well Wigan are doing, fair play to them all - they earned their wages this week.

Come on you ****ers!!!

Wigan and chimbonta have played like sheer masters lol, it pity about their finishing though.

Ahh wigan just cant finish the ball at all, disappointing considering how theyve played.

Yes what was your man thinkin with a shot like that.

• Advertisement

Oh **** off, you ****ing ****ers i ****ing **** off :/

AHAHHAHAHAH
    God dammit :/

B*startds.

Ah thats just horrible, no way did they deserve that goal! 0-1 Chelsea, crespo 92nd minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Cruel Cruel Cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is No Justice!

Mike.

Oh why oh why .

I hope Arsenal batter Chelsea next week.

in fairness thats why their champions..still,bolllllllllllllllllllllllllllox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

kaids wrote:
    I wouldn't have him as captain unless they sign Essien as he won't be playing AMC with Gudjohnson in midfield. I took Crespo out of my team because he wasn't going to start and he comes off the bench and scores. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

well if they play like that for the rest of the seaosn its hard to see them going down... but that was sickening

Champions absolute bullsheete , Chelsea were played off the park today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ohhhh that's gonna earn Chelsea a few more haters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Wigan 0 -1 Chelsea
    Crespo 93'

An absolute crime. Wigan to finish top 10 ;)

I really really really really hope other teams take note, and do what they do vs. Man Utd and Arsenal in every game, give everything they had, which is what Wigan did today.

But jesus christ, what a ****ing amazing goal. Crespo truly is an amazing player, i'm sure he'll get the nod ahead of Drogba for the next game.

A bit of inexperience from Wigan I felt at the end on that break, they could have walked it into the corner and taken the point without a doubt, but I'm sure they'll learn as time goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

:(

i dont think they were played off the park tho. Its so refreshing to see a newly promoted team throw everything forward in the last few minutes in the hope of a win. Wigan have certainly earned a lot of admirers today, me amongst them.

• Advertisement

World class goal by a world class player. I would hardly say Chelsea were "played off the park" either.

If Wigan defend like that they are definitely in with a good chance of staying up. They will have no problems scoring goals with Ellington, Roberts, Camara, Francis and Mahon. There is a real drive and a passion about the club.

They played with such heart the whole game, but it boils down to the fact they couldn't finish at all. On another note I was very impressed by Chimbonta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Chelsea tried all their tricks and it took a great strike from outside the box in the 92nd minute to beat wigan. Absolutely sickening. Cant believe that guy johanson bottled it twice. Very promising for wigan if they could finish what they create, looked a very decent side. Very promising for the rest of the premiership that chelsea were average and i wouldnt say they had a bad game today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Ellington will be gone to West Brom by then next game, and that johansson was shocking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Chelsea are turning into 1999 United!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Fair play to Wigan. They played with great heart and conviction throughout. An unfair final result, but that's football. Good call, yermandan.

Was happy with mourinho's interview after the game, fair play to the guy for saying what he said. Was a shame about wigans finishing, so many chances to go one up and win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

very hard luck on wigan. their finishing will have to improve but they have the potential to stay up. chelsea lacked ideas at times and its going to be interesting to see how they do this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Really felt for Wigan, they deserved at least the point, arguably all 3. If they can play like they did today for the rest of the season they've every chance of staying up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If wigan continue to finish like that they will struggle big time. Its was shocking stuff. They were taught a good lesson today. Great for the neutrals to see them attacking till the end, but thats not what will keep them up. They should of stuck the ball in the corner and kept it there.

Chelsea will probaly splash the cash on Essien now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Damn i was heart broken when crespo scored :( still if wigan play like that even 30-40% of the time and improve their finishing they will stay up.

Nice goal though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hmm that goal won me 35 squid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

RasTa wrote:
    Hmm that goal won me 35 squid.

Very nice goal so ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

If wigan continue to finish like that they will struggle big time. Its was shocking stuff. They were taught a good lesson today. Great for the neutrals to see them attacking till the end, but thats not what will keep them up. They should of stuck the ball in the corner and kept it there.

How can you say that? Wigan did nothing wrong at all yesterday. You know what, you remind me of that tosser Andy Gray. He doesn’t have a clue. All throughout yesterdays match he was saying how surprised he was that wigan werent sitting back and were attacking chelsea. What the hell does he want, for Wigan to just sit there and let chelsea attack and score? Ridiculous comments. If Wigan could have finished off their chances they could have won. It took a wonder goal to beat them.

Answer me this chucky why would you bring the ball into the corner when your creating chances to win the game? Why would you do that? Chelsea had very little chances where as Wigan had many. They played brilliant and offered lots in attack and if they play the same way they will stay up. If they were winning 1-0 by all means take the ball to the corner. If the game is 0-0 and you are creating great chances to win the game, the last thing you do is take the ball to the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Kingp35 wrote:
    How can you say that? Wigan did nothing wrong at all yesterday. You know what, you remind me of that tosser Andy Gray. He doesn’t have a clue. All throughout yesterdays match he was saying how surprised he was that wigan werent sitting back and were attacking chelsea. What the hell does he want, for Wigan to just sit there and let chelsea attack and score? Ridiculous comments. If Wigan could have finished off their chances they could have won. It took a wonder goal to beat them.

Answer me this chucky why would you bring the ball into the corner when your creating chances to win the game? Why would you do that? Chelsea had very little chances where as Wigan had many. They played brilliant and offered lots in attack and if they play the same way they will stay up. If they were winning 1-0 by all means take the ball to the corner. If the game is 0-0 and you are creating great chances to win the game, the last thing you do is take the ball to the corner.

Wigan Chelsea
    Shots (on Goal) 12(5) 20(9)
    Fouls 14 7
    Corner Kicks 2 6
    Offsides 0 3
    Time of Possession 48% 52%
    Yellow Cards 1 0
    Red Cards 0 0

Chelsea had very little chances where as Wigan had many. - don't think the stats back you up. The point is that had Wigan held on (which imho they probably should have done) then yesterday would have been a brilliant result for them. Deep into injury time, when your team is absolutly knackered and your opposition have the likes of Crespo fresh , the opponents corner flag seems to me to be a good place for the ball. Wigan had a real go at Chelsea and gave them a scare hitting the bar, but so late on in the game , they should have held on to what they had (it's not as if they had the Chelsea goal under siege, forcing save afetr save from cech).

• Advertisement
Advertisement