Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does every advertisement have to be for the queer beers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Willem D wrote:
    Sorry MyCroft do have a vendetta against me , I have to ignore it previously but what is your problem. Sometimes people whom of which are homosexual do nowadays try to shove it in our face a lot more , it dosen't mean to say I have any things against homosexual. It can be annoying if your gay be gay simple as that .

So you think the adds are too "in your face"? hmm. If you're hetro, be hetro and don't be intimidated by a few banners.
    The ads dont offend me in anyway - and as someone pointed out - it should'nt and i assume it wont, be limited to LGb forum goers

Well I organised it, and I'm saying it's open to everyone. There will be at least two straight people there(both friends of mine), maybe more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

i'd go if i was old enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Amz wrote:
    I find you offensive and annoying.

The increased levels of stress I experience when reading your posts are damaging to my health and as a result cause me to miss work, lose sleep and make me irritable and cranky.

If there was some way of blocking you completely that would make my life so much easier.

You shove your ignorance in our faces, but there's little, or nothing we can do about it. Why don't you go post somewhere that doesn't show up on my radar and my family and friends lives will be made better, my boss will be happier, I'll be a more productive little busy bee, thus paying more taxes and I'll be less of a drain on the economy as I'll be able to refrain from shoving my fist through the computer screen and need hospitalisation after reading some of your posts.

I'm also available for motivational after dinner speeches.
    Someones been taking them RaboDirect ads to heart, I see...

C'mon, do me now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have come realise my ignorance and for that I apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 WhereAmI

I gotta say that that advertisment that says "All the cool Girls are Lesbians" is absolutely stupid, much like saying "All the cool Girls are Straight". I wouldn't be offended by it, but I could understand how some people could be (though they would have to very serious people). I know it only kinda taking the mickey or something, but I still find it stupid. Other than that, nothing against the advertisements, not my cup of tea, but nothing I would deem offensive, misplaced or inappropiate.

As for homosexuality being pushed on people more these days: I fully agree. Any hit show these days has to have a gay guy/girl, much like they have to have a token black guy (like in "Not Another Teen Movie" :p). Usually no harm (considering it gays do in fact exist:P), though sometimes I think they push it a bit too far, trying to make homosexuality a cool trend or something fun to do, rather than simply what it is: someones sexual orientation. It can be glamourised. Not suggesting that what the advertisement already mentioned tries to do that, as it seems just to be a bit of a joke.

You probably all think I am a bigot or I am homophobic, but I don't give a flying ****. I know I'm not, and my opinion is complex and hard to express on a medium such as this forum. So, if you get offended, I don't know why. It is mis-interpetation.

• Advertisement

Where did you see this about lesbian girls WAI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Willem D wrote:
    Sorry MyCroft do have a vendetta against me , I have to ignore it previously but what is your problem.

I don't have a problem, you could pm me though I have a friend who's a chiropodist and a orthodontist, he could help you out with the whole foot/mouth issue you condition of yours.
    Sometimes people whom of which are homosexual do nowadays try to shove it in our face a lot more , it dosen't mean to say I have any things against homosexual. It can be annoying if your gay be gay simple as that .

Yes how dare gay people be happy with their sexual idenity. Do please try and tell us, how they shove "our faces in it"

Could it be, how they, y'know, advertising social events?

Also, be dear and explain how you can dislike gay people "shoving it in our faces" but not have anything aganist homosexuals?

Thaed. Darling. Keep watching this space, I can be down right witty and amusing, when the mood takes me.

Amz. Post of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

WhereAmI wrote:
    I know it only kinda taking the mickey or something
    I thought the ad was quite clear that they weren't :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Willem D wrote:
    I have come realise my ignorance and for that I apologise.

Winner of the, inaugural, Lance Armstrong "backpeddle post of the year" award.

It's not taking the mickey, but at the same time it's not taking things too seriously either. It's the complete opposite of shoving it in your face. I'll be honest, I could care less for the opinion of someone who feels so weak in their position that they register a new account just to moan at me.

• Advertisement

I thought the ad was quite clear that they weren't :P

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I dont wanna row with anyone because rows lead to bannings and nobody wants that.

LiouVille wrote:
    It's not taking the mickey, but at the same time it's not taking things too seriously either. It's the complete opposite of shoving it in your face. I'll be honest, I could care less for the opinion of someone who feels so weak in their position that they register a new account just to moan at me.

For starters, LiouVille, I wasn't moaning at you. I don't even know who you are, until know. Secondary, yes, I did make a new account to make a post of my opinion, but:
    • I browse from time to time and decided that I will finally register to make a post.
    • The topic interested me, so it was good incentive to go and registed.

I don't know if you took my post as a direct reply to something you said in this thread, or elsewhere, but it certainly was not. It wasn't addressed to anyone in particular.

And how do you mean I feel "so weak" in my position?

Since you can't be arsed reading the thread. I organised the event, and I made the banners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Jeez, where ya been, Willem? The whole steel *industry's* gay.

Sleepy's Law :)

Now, more seriously, will I get to see chicks kissing at this event?

/edit just wanted to add that people shouldnt be so highly strung about every little thing, fair play and much respect to the people who organised this.

Every thread on boards.ie goes personal :(

LiouVille wrote:
    Since you can't be arsed reading the thread. I organised the event, and I made the banners.

I still don't get you're point. I wasn't moaning at you, nor was I in some way suggesting you change the banner. I think that particular banner is stupid, doesn't mean I think everyone does, or that it should be changed. I mentioned that I some people may find it offensive because a person did infact say they found it offensive. I read the thread for the most part, didn't make a visual copy of every post, of every member and their personal feeling to this particular subject.

I really couldn't care less about you're opinion on my opinion either, to be honest, I wasn't seeking approval - nor a flaming session. :p I don't think I was disrespectful to you (absolutely stupid may be harsh to describe a banner, but all the same, it wasn't a personal attack). It doesn't work vice-visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

WhereAmI wrote:
    though sometimes I think they push it a bit too far, trying to make homosexuality a cool trend or something fun to do, rather than simply what it is: someones sexual orientation. It can be glamourised. Not suggesting that what the advertisement already mentioned tries to do that, as it seems just to be a bit of a joke.

It is an option or a life style that was denied to people for a very very long time.
    Homosexuality was only formally decriminalised in the Republic of Ireland in 1993.
    and that was only cos of the court case of Norris v. Ireland 1988 ,
    in the European Court of Human Rights which ruled that the criminalisation
    of homosexuality in the Republic violated Article 8 of the Convention,
    which guarantees the right to privacy in personal affairs.
    Still took them 5 years to change the law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_rights

And now less then 15 years later there is a to do over a few queer beers banners.
    There have been all sorts of boards.ie event that have had banners.
    So basically boards.ie is 40,000 population town and so what if
    there is an event for those that have a slight diffent intrest then others or a slightly differnt life style.

Would you be concered if people saw an add for paintballing with a gun in
    it and assumed you were a nutjob gun freak ?
    or an add with scubadiving and assumed that you were a muff diver ?
    or a soccer add and asumed you were a soccer holigain ?

Your sexual gender preference is your business and not that of your
    workmates or any one else professional ( bar your dr.).
    Any asumption of thier behalf or comments or teasing is harassment in the
    work place plain and simple.

As for you own dis ease well you are the only one who can deal with it and
    seek help for it if you think that your gender prefernce in under attack.

Thaed wrote:
    It is an option or a life style that was denied to people for a very very long time.
    Homosexuality was only formally decriminalised in the Republic of Ireland in 1993.
    and that was only cos of the court case of Norris v. Ireland 1988 ,
    in the European Court of Human Rights which ruled that the criminalisation
    of homosexuality in the Republic violated Article 8 of the Convention,
    which guarantees the right to privacy in personal affairs.
    Still took them 5 years to change the law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_rights

And now less then 15 years later there is a to do over a few queer beers banners.
    There have been all sorts of boards.ie event that have had banners.
    So basically boards.ie is 40,000 population town and so what if
    there is an event for those that have a slight diffent intrest then others or a slightly differnt life style.

Would you be concered if people saw an add for paintballing with a gun in
    it and assumed you were a nutjob gun freak ?
    or an add with scubadiving and assumed that you were a muff diver ?
    or a soccer add and asumed you were a soccer holigain ?

Your sexual gender preference is your business and not that of your
    workmates or any one else professional ( bar your dr.).
    Any asumption of thier behalf or comments or teasing is harassment in the
    work place plain and simple.

As for you own dis ease well you are the only one who can deal with it and
    seek help for it if you think that your gender prefernce in under attack.

Yeah, okay, whatever. If you re-read the post, I actually said I had absolutely no problem with the banners, or there purpose, just I found one to be particulary stupid.

As for the information related to homosexuality being decriminalised, great to know, I was unaware of them little tibbits. Don't know much about Irish history in general either, being an Australian (been here for 3 years). To be honest, don't know significant history similar to this in Australia either, but oh well, I can live with out it.

As for my own imaginary disease, well, thats great, you're very creative. To bad it out of context in regards to my post. Sorry you think I am attacking anyones gender preferences.

Well said Thead, though I can't help but think it's pointless talking to this guy.
    Agree with the adds, disagree with them, the annoucement has recieved 600 hits @ time of posting. So their obviously working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

well the more info there is out there the more fact the better :D
    I doubt he will be the only one to read that post and stop and think.

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought the post was okay actually.

Welcome to the forum "WhereamiI".

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm straight and I'm not offended in any way by the ads. Personally I think they're very tasteful and some of the best I've seen on Boards - well done LiouVille.

As regards anyone suffering the embarrassment of having people in work see two leather-clad guys at the top of your screen, the only question I'd ask is are you getting paid to surf the net and post on Boards during work? If yes, you may have a valid argument, albeit an extremely flimsy one. If not, STFU and get back to work you slacker.

Stark wrote:
    I thought the post was okay actually.

Welcome to the forum "WhereamiI".

Thanks Stark. I suppose I should have made my first post in a less controversial thread:p. These guys already have an image of me in their mind, and I doubt I can change it. So, I won't waste my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Willem D wrote:
    Sometimes people whom of which are homosexual do nowadays try to shove it in our face a lot more , it dosen't mean to say I have any things against homosexual. It can be annoying if your gay be gay simple as that .
    Wot, you open your door in the morning and there's this guy wearing a short titty top and tight trousers shouting "hellooo dearie" in his best mincing queen voice at you while waving his willy around like a flag?

Warning: watch out for the ones that dress and act straight. Some of them are, you know, that way, as well. Apparently some of them drink beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

sceptre wrote:
    Wot, you open your door in the morning and there's this guy wearing a short titty top and tight trousers shouting "hellooo dearie" in his best mincing queen voice at you while waving his willy around like a flag?

That ****er called to your door too......?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

zaph wrote:
    I'm straight and I'm not offended in any way by the ads. Personally I think they're very tasteful and some of the best I've seen on Boards - well done LiouVille.

As regards anyone suffering the embarrassment of having people in work see two leather-clad guys at the top of your screen, the only question I'd ask is are you getting paid to surf the net and post on Boards during work? If yes, you may have a valid argument, albeit an extremely flimsy one. If not, STFU and get back to work you slacker.
    agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

/me turns off Adblock.

Nice ads.

/me clicks on the refresh button a few times to circle through them...

Hmmm... the lesbian one is nice:cool:

=-=

Anyhoo's, any chance's of the admins doing something like this for the Boards.ie Paintball & Beers? And no, I don't care if this somehow makes me a nutjob gun freak. I just want to shoot as many people as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, here's my thoughts on this.

1. The ads work like this. each is given a "priority" and if there is competition for ads space (ie: say we want to show 100k eircom ads and 100k Esat ads and 100k QB ads and we only have 200k impressions a day) then the expected number per day will be divided between them in ratio to their priority. In addition if we have too MANY, the house ads get whats left. Right now we dont have many paying ads so the QB ads are getting lots of impressions.

2. It never occured to me that this would happen but when it did I just shrugged. And wondered how long this kind of thread would take to start.

3. I can take the points being made about workplace and uncomfortability. Thats an unfortunate side effect of humanity and gossip etc.

4.I'm not completely unsympathetic to it. I happen to have a job where I could care less but thats my good fortune.

5. The reason the paintball ads havent gone up is that I havent seen a thread with paintball ads ready to go in it (please point me to them if I've missed them) and also it appears not to be on until Sept 24th therefore the QB's would get priority in general.

6. To resolve all of this in a reasonable fashion, I'm quite happy to put up paintball ads and I also happen to have a couple of other house ads that will be going up during the week. I certainly am not sorry the QB ads got precedence this week but they have certainly got the exposure they needed now and can be mixed with others.

7. Those lesbian girls are hot.

8. I will be back in town and I might wander along to it myself. My hair really wants to go. I wonder how many people will get that in joke :)

DeV.

Advertisement