Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does every advertisement have to be for the queer beers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

logic1 wrote:
    Maybe they should advertise the next boards beer as "STRAIGHT BEERS!!!!"
    meant in a joking context of course.

Not the brightest spark in the fire are you. Boards beers are beers for everyone! Queer beers are beers for the queers! Straight beers would be beers for the straights.

Personally I would have no problem in somebody organising "Straight Beers". So why dont you go do that and when you do then you can come back and belittle Liouvilles attempt at creating a community spirit on this forum.

PS. As already mentioned. You im sure are more than welcome to come to Queer Beers so can i go to your straight one?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Feel the love :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

am trying to, but it ain't easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Is this thread still going ??

To the small minded out there complaining about homosexuality and all it's evils, you have 3 options :
    1. Grow up
    2. Invent a time machine and transport yourself back to the 50's
    3. Become a taxi driver

One of my best mates is gay, and as a straight guy having been out to gay pubs/clubs with him a few times I find that straight guys have nothing to fear from gay guys except ridicule of their fashion sense (or lack there of) !

I would like to suggest that Boards Beers be henceforth renamed "Breeders Beers" (to coin that affectionate term the homosexual society have for us hetro's).
    No need to design a new banner though, the lesbian one will do fine ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

solice wrote:
    Not the brightest spark in the fire are you. Boards beers are beers for everyone! Queer beers are beers for the queers! Straight beers would be beers for the straights.

I'm neither a spark or in a fire. It was simply an example and as all examples not to be taken literally, it was to demonstrate the irony of bigoted advertising.
    Personally I would have no problem in somebody organising "Straight Beers".

As above, maybe you wouldn't have a problem with straight beers I can guarantee alot of others would and I'm pretty sure even if I did organise it I wouldn't be allowed to advertise it here.
    So why dont you go do that and when you do then you can come back and belittle Liouvilles attempt at creating a community spirit on this forum.

Where did I belittle it? I doubt you can point out where as I simply didn't. I stated I wasn't a fan of the banners but such is life. Not the brightest blah blah etc..
    PS. As already mentioned. You im sure are more than welcome to come to Queer Beers so can i go to your straight one?

I think MobileInfantrys banner sums it up, replacing straight with caucasian of course, if that's ok with you.

16288.GIF

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭McClane

Someone posted a link to a freedictionary (or similar) definition for bigotry. One of the 100 or so definitions included the word 'paedophile'. Obviously, this meant that that person was justifying paedophila.

There were 10 definitions, the 2nd one had 2 paragraphs talking about how pedophiles shouldn't be locked up because gays were locked up because of their sexual preference years before. It stated the majority of pedophiles don't want to molest children, they just find them attractive.
    Bigots typically include homophobes, xenophobes (hater other races), and even haters of pedophiles aka pedosexuals can be bigots. Apparently bigots think that pedophiles endorse sex with children. Most in fact, are against molesting children. Although they are sexually oriented to children, it is a sexual orientation they cannot control like homosexuality.

Bigots are more common than one would think. For example, 30 years ago homosexuals would go to prison, yet not many people objected to that. Today, pedophilia is the main taboo, and bigots are now active in preventing pedophiles from expressing their sexuality - even though most pedophiles do NOT want to molest or harm any child, but a simply attracted to them.

I have no problem with gays but i do think its unnatural, i have gay friends and they know how i feel about it. Thats my opinion, i don't need to justify it to you or anyone else. This isn't a thread about my opinion or about is it natural or not. If i'm wrong then i'm wrong, i simply a) don't care about the subject enough to change my mind and b) don't see any reason to try.

Secondly the only problem i had was with one of the banners and all i asked was could it be toned down. I didn't attack gays/queers (whatever its called today) i just said i didn't want to look at the banner and a lot of other people didn't either.

I am growing sick of this, its the same crap whenever you voice an opinion to any minority group. Gays, Racial Minoritys etc. They're allowed to whinge and fight and argue as much as they want to eachother, they can call themselves what they like, say what they like but if you dare express an opinion your attacked by them all and your accused of being intolerant or a bigot because your not one of them.

I'm sorry i came in on this topic and i'm sorry some people think i'm attacking your social outing or atacking you or whatever you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Hilarious attachment but I think that may suit Stormfront rather than boards.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

McClane wrote:
    I have no problem with gays but i do think its unnatural
    Why? Please explain this. I'm fascinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

rsynnott wrote:
    Why? Please explain this. I'm fascinated.

Round and round we go. Let the man have his opinion. You don't have to respect him or his opinion by letting him give it.

i'm not a fan of the colour purple and I think it's a horrible colour. I don't like paisley shirts. They give me the creeps. So, do I now have to point to the Wikipedia and countless scientific publications to justify my own opinion?

:) I'm simply interested because it's an attidude that flies in the face of all logic. There are gay people; therefore unless they're just doing it to be annoying, it's natural.

• Advertisement

C'mere Spock, we don't live on Vulcan. There are lots and lots of things and people that defy logic. I can ge through life knowing this.

rsynnott wrote:
    :) I'm simply interested because it's an attidude that flies in the face of all logic. There are gay people; therefore unless they're just doing it to be annoying, it's natural.

There are murderers, therefore unless they're doing it just to be annoying it's natural.

There are people that participate in zoophilia, therefore unless they're doing it just to be annoying it's natural.

Not comparing homosexuality to any of the above simply using the terminology as an extreme example.

.logic.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Trojan wrote:
    Feel the love :D
    Would that be the love of a man for a woman or the love of a man for say, a fine cuban cigar, ahehehh?! </doc hubart>

McClane, I'm quite pi$$ed off about your paedophilia comment, you've got some nerve saying we allow that. A link to a definition in a dictionary is a FAR cry from a link to some paedo site, which is what you suggested we had allowed, knowingly.

Get your facts straight next time maybe, yeah? Oh, and I'll advertise what I like on my site thanks, don't like it, dont look.

DeV.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

McClane wrote:
    ...the 2nd one had 2 paragraphs talking about how pedophiles shouldn't be locked up...
    The paragraphs you quoted don't say that.

logic1 wrote:
    There are murderers, therefore unless they're doing it just to be annoying it's natural.

There are people that participate in zoophilia, therefore unless they're doing it just to be annoying it's natural.

Not comparing homosexuality to any of the above simply using the terminology as an extreme example.

.logic.

Those are harmful acts; homosexual sex is not. (And certainly both urges are natural, albeit for the second one only natural to a small subset of people).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭McClane

The paragraphs you quoted don't say that.
    30 years ago homosexuals would go to prison, yet not many people objected to that. Today, pedophilia is the main taboo, and bigots are now active in preventing pedophiles from expressing their sexuality - even though most pedophiles do NOT want to molest or harm any child, but a simply attracted to them.

It implies it and you know it does.
    I'm quite pi$$ed off about your paedophilia comment

I was called a bigot and given a link to that site. That definition said a bigot is someone who denies a pedophile expressing their sexuality.

I never said a pedophilia site, i never said pedophilia content, i said a site supporting pedophilia. The lines quoted clearly support it.

Edited -> I withdraw my complaint in hope of a little peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

lads im not gay and to be honest i have absolutely nothing against gay people! but can we please get rid of the rainbow banners that are plaguing the top of the forum, i work in a place full of people and ive been getting wierd looks when ever the lads come over to the desks, and i have even had to explain to people how im not gay but there is a gay banner at the top of the forum that i use every day.... i stress again that i am not gay and also again that i have nothing against it, each to their own is my motto. but please do something about. the way i see it gay people on boards will go to the GLB forum so why does it have to be all over the shop??

gay people on boards will go to the GLB forum

Not necessarily true by any stretch of the imagination.

And I worry that people at work will think I'm a gun freak, with all these paintball ads. ;)

If you're worried, put up a sign at your desk saying "the non-work-related site I'm browsing isn't really gay"; that should do it.

rsynnott wrote:
    Not necessarily true by any stretch of the imagination.

And I worry that people at work will think I'm a gun freak, with all these paintball ads. ;)

If you're worried, put up a sign at your desk saying "the non-work-related site I'm browsing isn't really gay"; that should do it.
    i should have put "would probably go to the GLB forum" i dont see why i should have to put a sign up there.... im sure a gay person on this forum would at somestage be curious enough to go to a forum devoted to GLB wouldnt they? same as i go to after hours or humanities to putfourth my useless point of view every now and again.

now tbh a paintballing banner wouldnt affect my chances with the girls i work with a big gay banner would.

not that im after any of the girls at work but..... it is just a point...

and i have even had to explain to people how im not gay but there is a gay banner at the top of the forum that i use every day

But you don't have a high-pitched voice, you don't have a nice manicure, you don't dress in prada, you don't call people "darling" all day long, you don't go out for cocktails every evening and you don't do ketamine. Surely they may just be jumping to conclusions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

This is not the place to be discussing now natural or otherwise homosexuality is. Some people seem to be more concerned with beating other users, then what this is actually about an event. Now allot of users have come out and supported us on this event and I can’t express how happy that makes me.

With regards the banners. I would have accepted fair criticism if someone had of complained about the risqué nature of one of the adds. If the admins had of turn around to me and said “Joe where not going to put up that adds, we think it’s not appropriate for boards” I would have accepted it, and thanked them for putting up the others. I certainly wouldn’t have called them bigots. In the same way I’m not about to call anybody that’s a bit conservative a bigot. Thing is those, every one that has complained about the adds haven’t limited to just that add, but have complained about the whole feicing lot of them, the whole idea behind them, and then gone on to pick that one add to justify condemning them all as “ in your face”. That’s what I can’t accept, it’s not fair criticism.

Now, To all those that have asked me to tone down the adds. I asked for people to help me make the adds on boards before, no one helped. Therefore you can’t complain. If you would like adds which have a lower tone, make them. It’s very easy for you to volunteer me for more work, very hard to come up with an add that works. I work 8-9 hours a day, six days a week, I don’t have time for this. I’d happily accept any adds put forward by anybody. I’ll even run them by a few of the regulars to give yea a fair chance.

To the person that suggested just having the banners on the LGB forum. There’s been and announcement and a thread there for about two months, it had 16 hits. The Banners went up and it now has well over a thousand hits. There are 50,000 + members here, if say 5% are lgb, that’s 2,500 lgb people on boards. Though at most only say a hundred people would read the lgb forum regularly, and even less post.

Rob, please stop trying to beat people with a big stick, you’re not going to change people attitudes that way. You’ve made your points now move on. This is neither the time nor the place.

Logic1. I made the banners not rob. He isn’t sticking them up anywhere either, the admins are. Your claims of hypocrisy should be directed at me. But I don’t really care if you call me a queer, I’ve meet and I know your grand and I know you’re not trying to be offensive, it’s just you. You know as well as I do, it’s not what people say it’s how they say it. Btw you coming Saturday, I’d love to have another pint with yea.

All that said, I’d like to thank all those that showed support again, it means allot, and the Admins for putting up the banners for our little event.

Joe.

damien.m wrote:
    But you don't have a high-pitched voice, you don't have a nice manicure, you don't dress in prada, you don't call people "darling" all day long, you don't go out for cocktails every evening and you don't do ketamine. Surely they may just be jumping to conclusions?
    im always on boards during work infact if people new how much time i spent looking at boards id probably be fired so if someone looks at my screen every 5 mins and sees QUEER BEERS in luminous writing on the top of my screen they get a bit suspicious you know what i mean

edit:
    lads i totally agree with your aims spreading the word and all that, im not going to start naming the amount of gay friends i have or anything... i have nothing against any of it i just feel that i dont impose my heterosexuality on to you so why do i have to have your sexuality imposed on me?

LiouVille wrote:

Rob, please stop trying to beat people with a big stick, you’re not going to change people attitudes that way. You’ve made your points now move on. You’re not going to change people attitudes that way. This is neither the time nor the place.

Oh, I'm just having fun :)

lads i totally agree with your aims spreading the word and all that, im not going to start naming the amount of gay friends i have or anything... i have nothing against any of it i just feel that i dont impose my heterosexuality on to you so why do i have to have your sexuality imposed on me?

Every day of the week, everywhere we go, we see images of hetrosexuality all around us. What makes you think we're willing to listen to you complain about being exposed to (not imposed by) a little homosexuality, which you have complete control over at the click of a mouse?

Rob, you got carried away with your "fun" then, either way enough is enough.

LiouVille wrote:
    Every day of the week, everywhere we go, we see images of hetrosexuality all around us. What makes you think we're willing to listen to you complain about being exposed to (not imposed by) a little homosexuality, which you have complete control over at the click of a mouse?

Rob, you got carried away with your "fun" then, either way enough is enough.
    i dont give a fuck what other people do. i dont! i dont go around saying look at me im straight you should be too. as far as im concerned boards beers shoud be boards beers no matter wether your gay straight black white yellow alien or mexican all should be welcome. its people like you who have a complex about it about being proud of what you are im proud of what i am. human like all of us, i dont have control over what is exposed to me but i can voice my concerns when it affects me, i dont look at other people differently because of what they are, but i know that alot of people do! and im a very self conscious person when it comes to people opinions of me right or wrong as they may be..... so screw you dude and the horse you rode in on

P.S. i dont have control over it i dont own the website and im not a mod on the website

so screw you dude and the horse you rode in on

That'll be the next beers banners.

damien.m wrote:
    That'll be the next beers banners.
    lol :)

There is a very definite purpose to this event as outlined already in this thread, by me and others. and I'm not going to get into a arguement about the justification for having a seperate queerbeers. Quiet frankly you've never attended any boards beers. So you can't comment on what they should be like. As for telling people to be gay, I don't see a single banenr add that does that. Life would be very boring and the human race short lived if everyone was.

You do have absolute control over these banner adds. No one is forcing you to browse boards. You find them unsettling and so fort, grand, don't look at them. There is plenty of stuff on boards that doesn't appeal to me, but yea don't see me starting 5 threads moaning about it.

LiouVille wrote:
    Logic1. I made the banners not rob. He isn’t sticking them up anywhere either, the admins are. Your claims of hypocrisy should be directed at me. But I don’t really care if you call me a queer, I’ve meet and I know your grand and I know you’re not trying to be offensive, it’s just you. You know as well as I do, it’s not what people say it’s how they say it. Btw you coming Saturday, I’d love to have another pint with yea.

Jesus Boston I never knew you were bent! Yeah might come along for a pint, but only if you promise to pinch my bum!

.logic.

• Advertisement

logic1 wrote:
    Jesus Boston I never knew you were bent! Yeah might come along for a pint, but only if you promise to pinch my bum!

.logic.

hehe, I'll have to ask the boyfriends permission. ;)

Advertisement