Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice please.

Options
  • 14-08-2005 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Alright lads,

Was wondering if any of you could give me some advice as to what is available to me. Im looking for a new car, bout 30,000, automatic, diesel, about 2L decently specced. Make isnt too crucial but I would prefer nissan,renault,citroen etc.

What would be available/best for me to get?

Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers lads.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

CrimE wrote:
    Alright lads,

Was wondering if any of you could give me some advice as to what is available to me. Im looking for a new car, bout 30,000, automatic, diesel, about 2L decently specced. Make isnt too crucial but I would prefer nissan,renault,citroen etc.

What would be available/best for me to get?

Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers lads.

Does it absolutely have to be an automatic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Cheers for the replies.

Yep unfortunately has to be automatic and brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In that case I would suggest a Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi 140bhp DSG. Just comes in at a shade under €30k. The new VW TDi unit is very refined and the DSG is a 6 speed transmission with an automatic clutch and sequencial box. It seems to have received great reviews from the Motoring Press.

Not really much else on sale in Ireland in diesel with an auto for €30k as there just is not much of a market here for these cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd go with that Octavia too. Note the the SMG box can work in full-automatic mode

Just to show it is good value for money: the VW Passat (only slightly bigger) with the same engine / gearbox will cost €10k more :eek:

Alternatively you might want to talk to a dealer about a Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Auto. Listed @ €37k but you might get a very substantial discount

• Advertisement

Appreciate that lads. Yeah see this is my problem all I could find really was the mondeo but apart from that there doesnt seem to be much available. :(

edit: am i right in my understanding from the renault website that there are no laguna automatics at all!? thats a bit weird if its true.

CrimE wrote:
    am i right in my understanding from the renault website that there are no laguna automatics at all!? thats a bit weird if its true.

Sure looks like it. How about the C5? The cheapest Mondeo is €34k BTW, and I'm confident you can get the C5 cheaper than the Mondeo. The C5 is fully loaded like auto aircon, traction control, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

from the skoda.ie site Skoda Superb Expression 1.9 TDI Auto/Tiptronic, 130bhp € 31 800. supposedly miles better than the Passat. http://tinyurl.com/8kvnx

unkel wrote:
    Sure looks like it. How about the C5? The cheapest Mondeo is €34k BTW, and I'm confident you can get the C5 cheaper than the Mondeo. The C5 is fully loaded like auto aircon, traction control, etc.

Yeah thats a shame bout the laguna nice car. Yeah the C5 is a very nice car and I would be very interested in it. How much do you reckon I would be able to get it for?

Also with the citroens I've heard that the depreciation is pretty bad, is that true?

CrimE wrote:
    the C5 is a very nice car and I would be very interested in it. How much do you reckon I would be able to get it for?

Hard to say. I take it you're a cash buyer with no trade in? You could sell your current car privately. Ideally go to the dealer this time next month. Quarter end coming up which effects bonuses so the dealer would be keen in getting the sale

If it was me buying a C5, I'd aim for €31.5 which is a 15% discount. You will have to play all your cards right to get that though
    CrimE wrote:
    Also with the citroens I've heard that the depreciation is pretty bad, is that true?

For the larger ones, yes. How long will you keep the car? The longer it is, the less relevant depreciation is

Go with the Octavia and depreciation is much less of an issue. The Octavia should be more reliable too

• Advertisement
Advertisement