Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarianism and Food Allergies

Options
  • 14-08-2005 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

I've been a vegetarian for about five years, but am discovering now that I have horrible allergies to wheat, rice, and other such things. And I thought my diet was limited before!

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through anything similar? Is being a vegetarian on top of all these other restrictions just plain insane? (I have no intention of stopping, I just wonder what other people think.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

ah no, it's not insane. i guess once you figure what you can and can't eat, and you get used to knowing the diet, i doubt it would hassle you. i have a veggie friend who went dairy-free and wheat-free for a while; the only annoying thing is when you have to eat out! i don't know what your diet entails, but try less refined foods, like wild rice, or try wheat-free pasta if you can. there are plenty of choices out there!

saz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 viggi-tea

Hey Chowburger,

I just wanted to write and assure you not to panic! I've been a veggie for about ten years and for the last few have been spent largely dairy-free. Now due to other food problems I've been avoiding refined carbs and yeast! I was really freaking out in the beginning and thought I'd be eating watery soup for the rest of my life, but it wasn't even worth the worry! If you go to any health food store, you'll find SOOO many wierd and wonderful foods to try out, I promise. Sweet-rasmus is totally right. Just try to think of it as an adventure- I know, it sounds so lame. And don't feel pressured by anybody, including doctors, to give up on your veggie beliefs. I totally believe that anyone can be a healthy vegetarian, just take good care of yourself!

Good Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I avoid refined carbs like the plague. But I find there are non-refined versions of practically everything if you look. Brown rice, brown bread, brown pasta, brown spaghetti etc. For the sweet tooth, I try to eat organic dark chocolate like the Green & blacks stuff.

Advertisement