Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic Pro- Debut Show!

• 14-08-2005 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Just thought y'all would like to know :

Dublin City, Ireland -- Celtic Pro Wrestling is proud to announce that its debut show will take place in Dublin city on Saturday, September 10th, at 8pm. The event will be held in Good Counsel GAA Club on Davitt Road, Dublin 12. The hall is conveniently located directly across the road from the Suir Road Luas train station in the heart of Dublin.

"Now is an excellent time for a new wrestling product," explains Paul Gernon, Head of Media for Celtic Pro. "Given the success of WWE in the RDS in Dublin last month, drawing 22,000 fans, Celtic Pro endeavors to provide the same caliber of live wrestling action to Irish fans. We will feature both Irish and international wrestling stars, and at a fan-friendly price that will enable families to experience all the action."

"Everyone involved with the company has worked very hard to make this happen, from training to promotion," commented senior advisor Ross Hart from his home in Calgary, Alberta Canada. "I join the wrestling community in anticipating the first show to see what Celtic Pro has to offer."

We can now officially announce the first two matches for the show.

The Amazing Insano vs. The Celtic Tiger. The Amazing Insano makes his Irish wrestling debut. He's a stand-out high flyer with amazing speed and precision skill. The Celtic Tiger, Blake Norton, trained in Stu Hart's legendary Dungeon in Calgary. He is currently through to the semi-finals in the annual Lord of the Ring tournament in England on the strength of a tap-out victory over former world champion Stevie Lynn last month.

3CW Young Lion's Championship: Kid Richie © vs. "All Star" Anthony Idol. Richie won the Young Lion's title in a frenzied match of the year candidate under TLC rules in Newcastle last month. "All Star" Anthony Idol is considered by many analysts to be the best pure athlete in Irish wrestling. He is not only a wrestler, but also a GAA (Irish sports) star, with a six day a week training routine. His conditioning in the ring and on the pitch is unparalleled.

Plus... One of England's most hated talents, Jayson Mayson, has signed on to compete at the show. His opponent is set to be announced imminently. The strongest man in Ireland, Joey Cabray, is planning to issue an open challenge, the details of which will be released in the upcoming days. The 6'4, 345lb "Mean" Mark Burns will be in action against a yet to be named opponent. And finally, Max "The Hammer" Martello has announced that he will be at the show scouting talent for a new wrestling group.

Celtic Tiger on Bryan Alvarez show Friday

The Celtic Tiger Blake Norton will be a special guest of noted journalist Bryan Alvarez this Friday, August 12th, in Seattle, Washington. The show will be available online at www.F4Wonline.com

The Celtic Tiger is set to talk about all topics wrestling related, including the upcoming Celtic Pro Wrestling debut show and his fast-rising in-ring career. Alvarez is the co-author of 2004's best-selling "Death of WCW" book, and editor of the Figure Four Weekly newsletter.

Further information about Celtic Pro Wrestling can be viewed at the company website www.CelticProWrestling.com or contact us via phone at (353) 86 404 1117

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Can you only buy tickets online or can you pay €10 at the door? I'd be interested in going and seeing this event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

You should be able to get ticks at the door. The venue is easily accessable by Luas so anyone who can make it should get down there and give Celtic pro a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I don't mean to be so cynical but some how I doubt this statement can be true in any way.
    Given the success of WWE in the RDS in Dublin last month, drawing 22,000 fans, Celtic Pro endeavors to provide the same caliber of live wrestling action to Irish fans

Best of luck to them, they have a lot to live up to.

I don't mean to contradict you dude, but I was at the card in the Rds, and the majority of the wrestlers (with the exceptions being London and Kidman) phoned it in. Wheras with Celtic Pro, all the guys on hand are going to be going all out trying to give the fans a good show and trying to make a name for themselves.

Thanks for your support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Now that I think of it, I was in the front row for the WWE show in the point last year and it was so bad only kids could have thought it was good. But I've seen Blake wrestle before and he's not very good, blew loads of spots and over sold everything, hopefully he's improved. I heard Max Mafioso is on the card, that poor guy should not be let into a ring in his condition.

• Advertisement

Well dude, I don't know what you've seen, but I've watched him wrestle The Amazing Insano, and what I've seen has been Slick.
    Max will not be wrestling on the show, although he will be working as a manager.

Tickets will be available at the door, but can also be bought over the web at Celticprowrestling.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Malorkus

Exactly - no need for the bull****. For a start, I can think of 2 Irish wrestlers off the top of my head who are stronger - Sheamus O'Shaunessy and Fergal Devitt - and that's only wrestling, let alone weightlifting. I've seen Joey on an IWW DVD and he has the mass but just looks flabby - not toned whatsoever. And definately MILES away from being the strongest man in Ireland.
    Does he still make those 'gay smirk' type faces when trying to look 'tough and cocky'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

Does it really matter if he's not the strongest man in Ireland, I'm pretty sure Undertaker isn't dead, or from the "darkside". It's a gimmick.

Juggalo wrote:
    Does it really matter if he's not the strongest man in Ireland, I'm pretty sure Undertaker isn't dead, or from the "darkside". It's a gimmick.
    Well it's a crap gimmick IMO, because it's nowhere near convincing. At least Undertaker looks dead. A gimmick should at least have some believability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Yeah! Dead right, Joey looks nothing near strong.( very bad gimmick!)

Nailz wrote:
    Yeah! Dead right, Joey looks nothing near strong.( very bad gimmick!)
    Exactly - you can't just make a ridiculous claim and then fob it off as "well it's just a gimmick". All successful gimmicks have to be believable - that's why they're sucessful:
    Stone Cold is a bad-ass, HBK is a cocky prettyboy, Undertaker looks evil and like a dark Undertaker, Samoa Joe looks samoan, Yokozuna looked like a sumo wrestler, André was a giant, Ted Dibiase appeared to be a genuine million dollar man, Curt Hennig was believably "perfect", Benoit looks "rabid", Daveyboy was British and built like a stocky bulldog, .............. Joey Carbay doesn't look strong and has no muscle definition - just flabby mass. See the difference, Juggalo? It's called suspension of disbelief (The audience accepts limitations in the story being presented, sacrificing realism (and occasionally logic and believability) for the sake of enjoyment.). Wrestling fans want to believe the gimmicks, but they have to be somewhat realistic, otherwise they're ridiculous. I can't believe you don't 'get' that basic concept about why we watch wrestling. Why do you watch it? To see your favourite band jump around like retards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Malorkus wrote:
    At least Undertaker looks dead.

:confused: How?

I have never seen a dead person walk or talk, let alone wrestle!

gimmick wrote:
    :confused: How?

I have never seen a dead person walk or talk, let alone wrestle!
    Stop being a mong - you know what I mean. "Deadman" is just a phrase used to describe Undertaker. Original Taker was big, dark, scary, rolled his eyes, pale complexion, dressed in dark clothes - in other words, his gimmick was believable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

smiaras wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

But that's what wrestling has always been about. Wrestling came from the carnivals, where it was the rule to hype up your attractions, and fool the public at every move. The whole sport of wrestling is one big hoax on the audience.

The Big Show isn't really how tall and heavy as they say he is. Andre The Giant was always portrayed as being bigger than he was. Look at this picture -
    andre_vince.jpg

Whenever they interviewed him, they always had him stand on a box to appear a whole lot bigger than the interviewer. Kamala wasn't really from Uganda. Afa the Wildman wasn't really a savage, etc. etc.

If CPW want to promote their company in that way, then what's the big deal? They can hardly be truthful and say something like "Featuring Joey Cabray, the 12th strongest man in Ireland" (or whatever he is), can they?

Even though I'm defending their use of kayfabe (which they should use!), I can see how it can annoy internet fans. This sort of stuff should be used on posters designed for viewing by the general public (don't know if CPW have gone down that route) The fans on the internet are mostly knowledgeable about what happens behind the scenes, and therefore won't be taken in by the hyperbole. I'd still go to the show if I was able to though.

Malorkus wrote:
    Exactly - you can't just make a ridiculous claim and then fob it off as "well it's just a gimmick". All successful gimmicks have to be believable - that's why they're sucessful:
    Stone Cold is a bad-ass, HBK is a cocky prettyboy, Undertaker looks evil and like a dark Undertaker, Samoa Joe looks samoan, Yokozuna looked like a sumo wrestler, André was a giant, Ted Dibiase appeared to be a genuine million dollar man, Curt Hennig was believably "perfect", Benoit looks "rabid", Daveyboy was British and built like a stocky bulldog, .............. Joey Carbay doesn't look strong and has no muscle definition - just flabby mass. See the difference, Juggalo? It's called suspension of disbelief (The audience accepts limitations in the story being presented, sacrificing realism (and occasionally logic and believability) for the sake of enjoyment.). Wrestling fans want to believe the gimmicks, but they have to be somewhat realistic, otherwise they're ridiculous. I can't believe you don't 'get' that basic concept about why we watch wrestling. Why do you watch it? To see your favourite band jump around like retards?
    I watch the world's strongest man and I can safely say, they are all "just flabby mass", so I guess you can say he is believable then. The company isn't bragging about him being a champion bodybuilder, then you would expect him to be ripped.

EDIT: I did a little searching and found out that Glenn Ross is Irelands strongest man. Here's a pic....

20050305183705.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Exit wrote:
    The Big Show isn't really how tall and heavy as they say he is. Andre The Giant was always portrayed as being bigger than he was. Look at this picture - Whenever they interviewed him, they always had him stand on a box to appear a whole lot bigger than the interviewer.

Big show is as near as it matters to the size he is portrayed. Andre didn't always stand on a box when being interviewed - he only did that once and there really was no need for it because he was so massive it made McMahon look like a midget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Exit wrote:
    But that's what wrestling has always been about. Wrestling came from the carnivals, where it was the rule to hype up your attractions, and fool the public at every move. The whole sport of wrestling is one big hoax on the audience.

The Big Show isn't really how tall and heavy as they say he is. Andre The Giant was always portrayed as being bigger than he was. Look at this picture -
    andre_vince.jpg

Whenever they interviewed him, they always had him stand on a box to appear a whole lot bigger than the interviewer. Kamala wasn't really from Uganda. Afa the Wildman wasn't really a savage, etc. etc.

If CPW want to promote their company in that way, then what's the big deal? They can hardly be truthful and say something like "Featuring Joey Cabray, the 12th strongest man in Ireland" (or whatever he is), can they?

Even though I'm defending their use of kayfabe (which they should use!), I can see how it can annoy internet fans. This sort of stuff should be used on posters designed for viewing by the general public (don't know if CPW have gone down that route) The fans on the internet are mostly knowledgeable about what happens behind the scenes, and therefore won't be taken in by the hyperbole. I'd still go to the show if I was able to though.

To be fair, while as you say smarter fans will probably know better than, the crucial point here is that as a gimmick, it's plain stupid to claim something that is basically untrue unless it's so ridiculous it's funny; Gilberg; Crash Holly being 400+lbs, Mae Young being pregnant, etc.

Will Joe hit the ring and do a few weights, possibly arm wrestle some fans from the crowd or rip up a phone book? I don't know but it's hardly CPW's own funeral if we dont buy it, they will worry about the 15 fans in the crowd that won't buy it and let it be known on the day. I can't say I have ever met a "Strong Man" so I don't know if one is built like Ken Patera or Lance Armstrong but I'd go with the former.

BTW, most of the guys I see in the Olympics lifting weights don't look far from Juggalo's pic, so I don't buy Cabray's tag at all, but then again, what do we all know, sure aren't we all internet smarts and marks at the end of the day, not trained pro's like CPW are?

Darragh galligan Vs. Napalm Hamiltion has now been added to the card.

Celtic pro Wrestling Results, before a crowd of 150 (approx).

1) Fire Boy Defeated Joey Cabray.

After Cabray issued an open challenge, he pounded a helpless member of the crowd. The fan was rescued however, by
    a hooded stranger, whom was later announced as Fire Boy.
    Exciting match, with some fine suplexes from Cabray, armdrags from Fire Boy and some well placed high spots.
    (Even a moonsault from the 230 pound Cabray).

2) "Mean" Mark Burns Beat Dan Frawley.

Short match, with some nice power moves from Burns. Frawley showed potential as a heel.

3) 3CW Young Lions Title: "Allstar" Anthoney Idol and Kid Richie (C) wrestle to a draw via double pin

After a duelling promo from Max martello and Blake Norton, Idol and Richie clashed in the match of the night.
    Began slowly with some engrossing chain wrestling, before in built into a fast paced, high flying scorcher. One
    of the best cruiserweight matches ever held on Irish soil.

4) Chris Witten Def. Alex Breslin

Another solid bout, which ended when Witten delivered a fantastic running DDT on Breslin.

5) Napalm Hamilton Beat Darragh Galligan.

After berating the crowd, Galligan was suprised by Hamilton, who tossed Galligan around the ring like he was
    nothing. Galligan used his speed to his advantage, and regained control of the match. Hamilton mounted a comeback
    and finished Galligan off with a F-5

6) Main Event: The Amazing Insano Def. "The Celtic Tiger" Blake Norton

The crowd was firmly in Insano's corner for this one, which turned out to be thriller. Plenty of mat wrestling,
    combined with some incredible high spots with a red hot crowd made this one worthy of its main event slot.
    Anthoney Idol and Norton beat down Insano after the bell, before Kid Richie came to his his rescue. A brawl ensued
    also involving Chris Witten, Alex Breslin and Darragh Galligan. Then Max Martello returned to ringside, and then
    revealed his new group to be none other than Mark Burns and Napalm Hamilton! the pair cleared the ring of Idol and
    Norton, and celebrated with Insano and richie, much to the delight of the crowd.

Celtic Pro's next event will be held on the 8th of October, again in the Good council GAA club, right on the LUAS line.
    Tickets are on sale now.

• Advertisement

Sounds good. Shame I missed it. Hope I can be at the next one. Was it taped??

Yes, it was taped, although I cannot confirm if it will be released.

The date of the next show has changed to Saturday, Oct. 15

Advertisement