Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT question

Options
  • 14-08-2005 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

does anyone know if its essential to have the underbody washed before the nct test

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Misticles wrote:
    does anyone know if its essential to have the underbody washed before the nct test

No, but a cleaner car is easier to work on

NCT Inspection List

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Don't worry too much about the underbody. I've put about eight cars through the nct and never had a problem. Just bring it to a car wash and wax before the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If it's encased in inches of mud and cow sh1t, I believe they can refuse to test it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Run it through an automatic wash, thats good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you want an annoyed tester or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

he was a stickler anyways. failed on 3 things: county not in irish on 1 reg plate, somethig in the steering wheel and a mounting missing on a headlight. getting it retested tomor

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Question

On a re-test will they only test the bits that failed ....?

garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

Yep, only stuff that you failed on. If they need to use a machine for that test, you need to pay something like €27.50 to get it done.

Robbery!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

hmm my car failed on the side light being the wrong colour (front side lights and indicator are the same light) Car brought back from US.

So if it passed on the indicator then if I just change the bulb to a white bulb then it should pass because they wont test the indicator again is correct ?

Garyh3

Is the bulb the wrong colour or is the actual plastic part the wrong colour?

I am not sure what they do on a visual test. Might as well get it changed if it's not too costly before the gards stop you.

• Advertisement

The actual bulb is yellow/orange (pointed out by the smug NCT chap) the glass on the front is white and the reflector casing is white except for a yelow/orange reflector on the inside part of the casing reflector.

If I change the bulb to white would the garda not stop me for having the wrong coloured front indicators?

really too expensive to replace the light cluster for RHD as the wiring loom would also have to be replaced so says chrysler.

Grayh3

I really dont know. I suppose you could just chagne it over for the NCT. once that has passed change it back.
    If you get caught you could always play dumb. They give you a few days to change it, so it's not like they will fine you.
    Well lets hope so anyway. I had a defective break light and the gards pulled me over. When I told them that I had noticed it but that it was too late to get to a garage they just took my details and told me to get it fixed and come back to them within 10 days.
    One of the gards wanted to "teach me a lesson" and wanted to fine me I think, but the other gard just let me go. At least one of them was nice!
    Could have just been pure luck though.

i hope that you pass the NCT and don't get caught.
    Not really too sure what the gards take is on indicator lights to be honest.

Advertisement