Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for something to do in City Centre?

Options
  • 14-08-2005 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

As the title says im looking for something to do in the City Centre?

This is because im bringing this girl out early in the week and I am looking for something to do with her, as in a nice cafe/bar (not a typical dublin pub) or some where to relax with a bottle of wine or along those lines

A meal would be nice but we are both on the broke side.
    The cinema has crossed my mind but its a little to cliché and not very personal.

My main objective is to show her a good time to get to know her and maybe woo her a little if ya know what i mean, and not to get into her bags but i wont rule that out.

Any suggestion will be highly considered

This thread can cotinue on after my problem is solved to help other people solve similar problems

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

You could go to UGC and have a few drinks there before seeing a flick?And then maybe onto Eddie Rockets just down the road afterwards or maybe beforehand?

Bar wise, you could go to Cafe En Seine, Ron Blacks or maybe Cocoon, they're savage pubs, cept be prepared to fork out a few bills cause the pints are a little over the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Botanic Gardens with restraunt around the corner "Washer Woman" which can be a nice and different. Tolka house also do food but it's pub grub.

The Zoo

Comedy nights in the various pubs around town on differnt nights (Bankers, Half Penny Inn, International etc...)

Museums are actually worth going to

Not all city centre but they are close

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

If you have a car I would suggest bringing her up to jonnie foxes pub in the Dublin mountains for some dinner and then to the Blue Light pub which is just 5 mins drive away, they have a beer garden which over looks the whole city, the view is fabulous, my bf brought me up there for a drink when we first met and we still go up there when the weather is warm... very romantic and the drink is cheap enough... Good Luck :D

Drink driving around the Dublin mountains?Very bold ;)
    Thats a great suggestion though, i'm so stealing that idea!

The International on a Thursday/Saturday night is a great night out though, €10 in (€7 on a student card) and it starts at 9:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Theres a sand sculpture display on in the grounds of Dublin Castle until the 21st I think.
    It's something different and would be nice to visit if the weather is good.
    more info here http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/6076982?view=Eircomnet and its free!!
    I must get round to it myself :)

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote:
    Drink driving around the Dublin mountains?Very bold ;)
    Thats a great suggestion though, i'm so stealing that idea!
    Well now this is the thing, Im lucky enough to have a bf whos not big into drinking.. My eternal designated driver :D

Your personal chaffeur more like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Jonny foxes sounds like a plan but sadly i aint got a car, been there before lovely food a little pricey though.

So far the ideas are good keep em coming.

The Idea i choose will recieve a prize :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

After visiting the sand sculptures... walk the to Luas station on the green.
    Get the Luas to Charlemont - these leaves you outside the Hilton hotel.
    Take the Canal Bank walk (as made famous by Patrick Kavanagh) down towards Leeson Bridge and Baggot St Bridge. You can sit beside him for a break!
    This is a beautiful walk, and there's a few swans and ducks in the canal.
    Once at Baggot St Bridge, walk down to Northhumbland Road where the SchoolHouse pub is. This is a lovely award winning pub (with cool little beer garden) thats very relaxed.
    She'll be putty in your hands...

whiskeyman wrote:
    This is a beautiful walk, and there's a few swans and ducks in the canal.
    Don't forget hacked up corpses!If you're lucky you may just find a lucky head. :D

That's a good plan though, i'd say he should go for it...and if it works, sure the Hiltons only around the corner ;)

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote:
    That's a good plan though, i'd say he should go for it...and if it works, sure the Hiltons only around the corner ;)

nice idea but i cant really afford a night in the hilton at the moment.
    although whiskeyman's idea sounds really good

rb_ie wrote:
    Don't forget hacked up corpses!If you're lucky you may just find a lucky head. :D

Not to mention the resident wino's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭zinc

Hmmm well if its just a quiet one why not just try see a comedy show, get you laughing which always works.

My method has always been a kind of pub style, mid week vibe, say Eamonn Dorans, upstairs there away from most people and generally quite good when fairly empty date wise.

Anyway go on da Richie! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It'll depend what time you are going out and on the weather, but a walk around St. Stephen's Green is nice and/or around the Grafton Street area. There are lots of nice pubs and retaurants in the area. Check out what is on in the likes of the Gaiety or the National Concert Hall, all in that area.

Some people have given suggestions for outside of the city, though that is not what you asked for. However, there are lots of good ideas there. Dun Laoghaire Pier is of course nice. A good long relaxing stroll, followed by a little while sitting at the end watching the sea and then a relaxing stroll back and then up into the town. Lots of nice places and things to do there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

How about getting the DArt to somewhere like Killiney/Potrmrnock... anywhere on a beach and take a picnic with you. Go for a nice walk pick a secluded spot, have some lunch, a nice bottle of wine.

An ex brought me out to Bull Island (think that's the one anyway) a few years ago. That was something really different. It was nice and quiet. Not a lot of people around. Still remember that one coz he actually put some thought into where he took me. Was very impressed.

Good luck with everything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Sorry to jump in here, I was just wondering is anyone has been to the wax museum or Dublinia, and if so are they any good? Was thinking of taking the kids there. Thanks.

magnumlady wrote:
    Sorry to jump in here, I was just wondering is anyone has been to the wax museum or Dublinia, and if so are they any good? Was thinking of taking the kids there. Thanks.
    They're both crap... the wax dummies in our "wax museum" look more like shop front dummies that are just dressed up like michael jackson etc... its actually embarressing... its closing down very soon as far as I know, if its not already closed.. and Dublinia is not much better.. My bf is from Longford so I took him on a tour of those kind of places one day.. I was there once with my school years ago and it was ok back then but they've changed it since and now its just a few dummies dressed in medievil clothing etc.. definately not worth the money.. €10 for an adult.. Big rip off, ur better off going to our free museums down near merrion square.. theres the National Gallery, the the National History museum and the Natural History musem all within walking distance of each other...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

You need the things to do in....
    Forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=547

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah it's bullock harbour referred to - you could get a boat from there to dalkey island

or the sea safari thing http://www.seasafari.ie/

or there will be lot's do in Dun Laoghaire next weekend http://www.festivalofworldcultures.com/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Bring your kids to the seaside or to the zoo The wax museum is currently being moved to Smithfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I second the Festival of World Cultures - it's a fantastic event, for so many reasons.

So OP, how did it go?what did ya do?

Due to certain things that happened surrounding the night out I couldnt really put anything into action.

So we just got a quick mackey D's, played a bit of pool and walked around the city and talked for a while and that ended up being a very good night she said she had a great night and looked foward to the next one.
    Got a kiss which Im happy about.

A second night is already planned and ready to rumble :D

good man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Good man indeed! :D

Second night done and dusted. Relaxed with a bottle of wine and watched some films.Third night is now in the pipe line.

Im looking for a nice place to eat out. some where that is reasonably priced and has good food with a nice atmosphere.

A friend recommended little scilly just off dame street. anyone with any other suggestions. im not really a chinese or Indian food lover anything continental would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Ba Mizu in the Powerscourt centre. Moderately priced, lovely interior, all fresco dining, delicious food, really lovely staff... and it's really close to bars, pubs, etc.

If you want somewhere a little more lively and fun, Hard Rock or Thunder Road. Thunder Road is pretty loud, so perhaps not the best place for a date, you have to shout over the music, but Hard Rock is nice. Food is a liitle dearer than Ba Mizu, but the bar is nice, and ask for the private booth near the kitchen. It has curtains... heehee. And their champagne is good- cheap, but good. Moet Chandon. Good music, and interesting parrafinalia on the walls. It's worth a try.

Little Caser's down past the Central bank is also really lovely- the food is GORGEOUS. Nice surroundings too.

Advertisement