Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Fruitarians here?

Options
  • 14-08-2005 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭

Fruitarians only eat fruit and nuts, as they don't eat food which involves killing a plant. Seems a bit extreme. Does anyone know any?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Nope but i do eat a ****e load of fruit :D , its all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Is that kind of like the guy from the Simpsons?
    "I'm a level 5 vegan, I don't eat anything that casts a shadow" :D

Like my fruit all the same, don't think I could live it alone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

I dabbled in it for a few weeks.

Got a huge cyst on my forehead from the acidity, lost too much weight and felt sh|t. Most commercial fruit is picked un-ripe so as to last in stores.

A lack of protein and excess of sugar & acids makes this a lethal diet, long term. Fruit is a cleanser, greens are builders. You can't cleanse constantly without withering away.

http://www.beyondveg.com/cat/fruit-dreams/index.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

sounds difficult, and scarey!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

fruity even? :P

anyway i dont know any,it woould be damn harmful to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Apparently eating grapes only for a weeks does wonders to your body. Haven't tried it personally but people I know swear by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

being a vegan sounds extreme to me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i know quite a few vegans who have no dificulties...i would!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Veganism probably isn't too hard.
    Otoh, being a fruitarian sure seems to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I thought fruitarians only ate fruit that fell from the tree naturally, i.e. they wouldn't eat anything that was picked !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

steve jobs used to be a fruitarian

I thought fruitarians only ate fruit that fell from the tree naturally, i.e. they wouldn't eat anything that was picked !
    i believe that is correct but i'm not one so i don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

boy that sounds like the weirdiest and i thought i was weird being a lacto vegan

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Washout wrote:
    boy that sounds like the weirdiest and i thought i was weird being a lacto vegan
    Would it help if I called you weird right now? :Dmessing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I went on this diet for about a week too.
    starburst(all flavours) and wine.
    Felt great[1] afterwards.

[1]crap

how could you feel crap about your fake diet,i mean it sounds so good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

It's not just fruit and nuts they eat. They just don't eat anything which kills its source e.g. onions, carrots etc. I'm pretty sure they can still eat beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

mateo wrote:
    It's not just fruit and nuts they eat. They just don't eat anything which kills its source e.g. onions, carrots etc. I'm pretty sure they can still eat beans.

iin other words your talking about the diet of the hari krishnas and the Jain religion in India.

if you go to Govindas in Dublin thats what you will get. vegan food with no onion garlic carrots etc. but oes that mean they dont eat rice/ wheat or potatos either? as thosae are killed at source during harvest as well?

so where are they getting their carbs from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kestrel

i admire anyone who has the discipline to stick to this diet, but it just seems highly unnatural to me. you can't act like people don't have the right to kill plants, whatever about animals. this is, whichever way you look at it, a food chain, and things are going to die so others can live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Washout wrote:
    iin other words your talking about the diet of the hari krishnas and the Jain religion in India.

if you go to Govindas in Dublin thats what you will get. vegan food with no onion garlic carrots etc. but oes that mean they dont eat rice/ wheat or potatos either? as thosae are killed at source during harvest as well?

so where are they getting their carbs from?

The onions and garlic taboo from Brahmin (hare krishna) cooking comes from the fact that the ayurveda (hare krishna food science) says that they cloud the mind, the same reason meditating buddhists avoid onion and garlic.
    Carrots are not on the ayurveda list of "bad foods".
    A fruitarian appears to get very little carb in their diet at all, it is not balanced and appears to be very unhealthy.
    I mean you would practically shit yourself to death, you would get very little nutrition apart from fruit sugars which is as bad as eating only sugar, not a good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement