Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to letterkenny

Options
  • 15-08-2005 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, I'm due to move to letterkenny next month. I know nothing about the town so any information would be fantastic. Also if anyone knows where I should look for accommodation.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

Hey,

Haven't lived in Letterkenny in couple of years but just looking on daft and it is still as cheap as ever!

http://www.daft.ie/donegal/houses_to_rent/letterkenny/

Living in Dublin now and about to move to Galway and they are easily twice as expensive as Letterkenny. I was renting a lovely house in Whitethorn with friends for about 40 euro a week. If you can get a house there, I would recommend it. It is a new estate and nearish the IT. Only drawbacks are that it is up a great big bloody hill and is a bit far from the shops/cinema/good pubs. Thing is though Letterkenny is full of hills so it will keep you fit walking about.

Was back last week and the night life is as mad as ever so have fun.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have just recently moved to Letterkenny myself. I found using the local classifieds magazine, called The Dealer, very handy for finding accomodation as most of the places for rent are based in Letterkenny. It also has adverts for Letting Agencies in the area.

To get you started:
    www.dermotmcgettiganlettings.com
    www.letterkennystudendaccomodation.ie
    www.premierlettings.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

byte wrote:
    I have just recently moved to Letterkenny myself. I found using the local classifieds magazine, called The Dealer, very handy for finding accomodation as most of the places for rent are based in Letterkenny. It also has adverts for Letting Agencies in the area.

Spot on byte. The dealer is probably the best bet but depending where poi_chick is at present a copy of the dealer may not be readily available.

Try the links posted and if that fails look up the letterkenny based auctioneers in yellow pages and contact them.

I;m not from the town but I think you will find entertainment every night.
    There is the usual mix of pubs. cinema with a few screens, bowling in the Pin Tavern. Football pitches, athletics track, swimming pool (I think it is still open), loads of shops and restaurants etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

The pin tavern no longer does bowling, just american pool, astro truf and pitch n putt. arena 7 just up the road however does... if it's the IT you're going to and are lazy id suggest ash lawn, altho the houses are quite old and probably run down to student life. Apparently the purpose built student accomodation didnt go down too well last year and is a fair walk form the IT aswell. As for night life i think theres plenty to suit what ever your into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 charlysays2

Check out the new live music night every Thursday in Sister Sara's Basement called The Stage

Tonight is The Evangelists www.theevangelists.tk/
    with support from Pablo'n' Red

late bar and DJ, entry free :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 odonaghue

Letterkenny..... Party Capital!!! 3 yrs done in college there mad place I lived everywhere from the ****holes to the more decent places. If ya want parties 24/7, load noise and just don't care what state the house gets into then Ashlawn is you're best bet. Then if you're a bit more on the senible side ya could opt for sullivan park or somewhere around that area. Dealer's the best bet though. I take it it's college you're goin for, if it is then you're better to be closer to the college than the town easier to make classes in the morning!! Livin in Dublin now myself and up to letterkenny as often as possible but ya can't beat thursday night out!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Yes odonaghue boy! Ah kennytown, great place to live, still there myself a large chunk of the week!

Anyway as the lads said...the dealer is the place to find out about accomodation, stay away from apartments tho in my experience their too expensive, damp and generally bad up there. Get a house in ashlawn if your into partying/sleeping in.

Really nice place to live is boinn aoibhinn. Lots of different spots if you find somewhere ya want info about ask here, i'm sure i'll know it or some of the rest will.

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 poi_chick

I have got a job in the town so partying or sleeping in will be rare on the agenda - am looking for where ever the old boring sensible types like me would be likely to hand out. There seems to be some stuff up by the hospital - what's that are like?

personally i've never lived up that way but i've known ppl who have and didn't think very much of it!

Do you have a car yourself? If you do theres some lovely cheap estates on the outskirts of the town, i lived in one last year Rowan Park, houses were the best i've seen in LK so far.

Ballymacool wood is nice also, its just out the glenties road.

Sylvan Park and Boinn Aoibhean are still your best bet for comfort and handiness ;)

Farlz

byte

Up past the hospital, there's lots of nice houses up Glencar Scotch, like Solomons Court, Glendale Manor, Solomons Manor, etc. It's well up past the hospital, and it's very quiet up there. I'm in one of the houses and pay €130pw (3bed, 3wc, etc). Also The Grange up the other road. Closest shops would be in Glencar SC (Vivo) and further down, a Centra which is open to 2am now.

As Farls says, Ballymacool Wood has some fine houses also, if you can find your way around it! :) Was looking at a house in there (also €130 region), and they're grand houses and not too far from Dunnes Stores and footie pitch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 poi_chick

What can I say - minds of useful information. Cheers for all the advice I am absolutely dreading the prospect of leaving belfast and have images of myself ending up living in a damp ridden hovel, sharing with freaks and having no friends - fingers crossed that won't be the case though!

Hehe if your well stuck we have a room in our house!

byte

Well best of luck on the accommodation hunt. Make sure and see as many places as possible, which could mean a heck of amount of driving about!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Or walking about if you're particularly unlucky.

May I recommend College farm road and Hawthorn heights if you're looking for somewhere near town to live (and you're not a student, because its on the opposite side of town from the IT)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Make sure you have a car. You won't be too bad if you're living in/near the centre of LK, but if you're anywhere outside of that life will be hell without a motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yeah be warned there is no buses in letterkenny yet so it's a lot of walking to be done. the best houses i found were in (h)ash lawn across from the collage and also Sylvan Park up by the Unifi place. Rent seemed good enough, and up past the hospital is a killer of a walk when you're hammered.

there are apartment blocks down near Garys Pet World and the cinema, they usually have vacancies after a month or so of collage.

after all Letterkenny IT has the biggest dropout rate in the country of first years! that should show how good the nitelife is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 toria

Hey my name is vicky!!Im moving to letterkenny next week!!Cant wait I love that town!!I dont no anyone up there at all!!!!HELP

toria wrote:
    Hey my name is vicky!!Im moving to letterkenny next week!!Cant wait I love that town!!I dont no anyone up there at all!!!!HELP
    You have posted this and a near identical post in another thread and you have posted the same content twice on this thread (other post deleted).

You are new here so I will be lenient and let you off with a yellow card. Any repeat of this and its nighty night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

bad time to be moving to letterkenny. College is just starting

Wishing you lots of luck of finding a place

keep us posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bridget.d

I'm am looking for a cottage or bungalow on the outskirts of letterkenny about 20mins from the town its self so i can be on the outskirts but near the hospital cos i don't be well and have to go for a major operation and need a quiet place to recuperate as well i have a dog do many places except dogs in letterkenny and except rent allowance . Have they nice views and or near beach.Over all is letterkenny a nice place to liveit would be nice if you could write back and let me know:):confused:confused::confused::confused::confused: thanks bridget :)

• Advertisement

bridget.d wrote: »
    I'm am looking for a cottage or bungalow on the outskirts of letterkenny about 20mins from the town its self so i can be on the outskirts but near the hospital cos i don't be well and have to go for a major operation and need a quiet place to recuperate as well i have a dog do many places except dogs in letterkenny and except rent allowance . Have they nice views and or near beach.Over all is letterkenny a nice place to liveit would be nice if you could write back and let me know:):confused:confused::confused::confused::confused: thanks bridget :)
    First of all welcome to the forum.

Letterkenny is quite a large town now and it all depends on your opinions of towns of that size. There are quite a few houses/cottages that can be rented within 20 minutes driving of Letterkenny. Google the auctioneers/estate agents for the area and you should be able to come up with various properties or even get their phone numbers and give them a ring.

Dogs I dont know about.

Rent allowance - I would imagine that a lot of landlords will accept that especially within the built up residential areas of the town but if you are looking for a bit of peace and quiet you would be better looking for somewhere in the rural environment maybe a couple of miles out of town.

Its not near a beach. The nearest beach would be maybe 10 miles or more in Rathmullan.

I'll move this thread from the North West forum to the Donegal forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 D adventure

hey, me and my mate r planing to move up to letterkenny 4 collage...?? did u av trouble getting a place to stay... a few wise words would be great man....???
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 D adventure

is it true all the nite clubs r being closed early now...?

hey, me and my mate r planing to move up to letterkenny 4 collage...?? did u av trouble getting a place to stay... a few wise words would be great man....???
    thanks
    I hope that English grammar is not part of the course ;)

Welcome to the forum and please take a minute to read the charter (especially the bit about text speak)

The night clubs in Letterkenny have been ordered to close a half hour earlier but cant recall the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnmcdaid

just moved last week, got house through http://www.propertyindonegal.ie/ Rent is about €600 per month
    for semi d, 10 mins walk from town, great town, happy hunting:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 qualtzie

hey can anyone tell me how i will go about getting accomodation in Ashlawn. Heading to college in Sept and hear its the best place to start off!!! Cannot Find anything helpful on the net for Ashlawn!!! Tahnks:D:pac:

qualtzie wrote: »
    hey can anyone tell me how i will go about getting accomodation in Ashlawn. Heading to college in Sept and hear its the best place to start off!!! Cannot Find anything helpful on the net for Ashlawn!!! Tahnks:D:pac:

Local paper called the dealer is sold every thursday, its in there that you will find accommodation in ashlawn...it may be the closest to the college but not necessarily the best!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Hi qualtzie - we love to see fresh young people coming into the hills (banjo music mixing with the distant sound o' pigs!). LOL!
    Hope you've a decent sense of humour :D

Anyway, Ashlawn is one of the older housing estates in the town, but it is right across the road from the college, and easily within staggering distance of the main street. It has had a high level of student rental property over the years, and as such, some of the houses are not in the best of nick, but can be very reasonably priced!

A number of dorm-type accommadation blocks have been built in the town in recent years, and these are proving very popular. It also means that there is a hugh amount of rental property available, so don't be afraid to bargain!

Check out daft.ie, or as suggested by others in this thread, there is a free-ads paper that comes out here every thursday. It's called The Dealer, and it can be got in nearly every local shop.

If any area of Letterkenny catches your interest, don't be afraid to ask, we don't bite - honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 rexel21

Hi im moving to letterkenny in a few weeks. I know this is an old one but any chance of an update. im not familiar and any help on areas that are good and the ones too avoid would be great!

Advertisement