Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Clondalkin speed update (Monday)

• 15-08-2005 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

IBB Clondalkin speed ~ 10.00am / 1 mile from mast

Download-12.6 kbps
    Upload-30.8 kbps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

[sarcasm] are you sure you pc is not using your modem to connect to the NEt? [/sarcasm]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

this all goes to prove that 'contention' isnt the only problem they have, even though they use that as an excuse and hmmm 'all technologies working at optimum speed' lol.

48:1 on 1MBit still should mean if EVERYONE is using it together, a minimum of 21kbps
    you are under, and IBB should go there too lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

[advice] cancel contract and get cable / adsl [/advice]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭arcane99

I cant get cable as living in a mobile home.
    I had Eircom line with the brilliant BT 2 mbs, but due to work in the area, anytime I needed work on the line, Eircom wouldnt do the work until I disconnected the BT account. So I lost the head, ordered 2 digital cameras and 2 digital cordless phones off eircom. Still waiting for a bill.

So I have to stick with IBB until December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭arcane99

A quick screen of a connection to Boards from IBB at 12.00pm
    And a quick connection to their dns server at 2.00pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

arcane99 wrote:
    I cant get cable as living in a mobile home.
    I had Eircom line with the brilliant BT 2 mbs, but due to work in the area, anytime I needed work on the line, Eircom wouldnt do the work until I disconnected the BT account. So I lost the head, ordered 2 digital cameras and 2 digital cordless phones off eircom. Still waiting for a bill.

So I have to stick with IBB until December.

Maybe not :-)

http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9630857

Digiweb has said it is to create 60 new jobs this year as it makes its move on the Dublin market and positions itself as a wholesale broadband provider.

The new jobs will double the Dundalk-based firm's employee figures, bringing to 120 the number of staff Digiweb employs throughout the country. The jobs will primarily be based in new offices in Dublin and Limerick as well as adding to staff at the firm's Dundalk and Galway offices.

Recruitment has started for both technical and sales staff as well as a small number of very senior staff to manage the new offices.

"We would welcome any senior staff working in high-level positions at other providers to come and talk to us," John Quinn, Digiweb's head of strategic development, told ElectricNews.Net.

The jobs announcement comes ahead of Digiweb's anticipated debut into the competitive Dublin market where it says it will launch a "very disruptive" wireless broadband service in September this year.

"We are going to roll out our new service in Dublin and a number of other large cities around the country, all on the same day," said Quinn. "We expect our service to completely change the Irish broadband market and surprise our competitors."

Certainly the new service, which Quinn says will be unique, could cause some ructions in the market. Not only is Digiweb rolling out a broadband service with no line rental for consumers, it is also positioning itself as a wholesale provider.

"This move is essentially attacking two major revenue streams for Eircom," said Quinn. "We're making no apologies for that and we're being very direct about going after the wholesale market."

In the past few years Digiweb has been heavily involved in building its own proprietary network around Ireland, working off feedback from industry groups, consumers and its competitors, in a bid to increase competition in the stagnant Irish broadband market.

"We've planned for this for a long time and we believe that what we are going to launch is exactly what the market needs," said Quinn. "There are lots of ways to solve the broadband problem; local loop unbundling is just one way and we've just come up with an alternative."

Back in June, Digiweb acquired the satellite broadband business of Italian telecom Tiscali for an undisclosed sum. Quinn said that once its new model has proven successful in the Irish market, the firm will roll it out in other markets such as Italy and emerging markets such as South America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

is there any confirmed launch areas other than dublin?
    i.e. carlow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

woodyg wrote:
    i.e. carlow?

From Digiweb
    Cork
    Waterford
    Dundalk
    Drogheda
    Navan
    Athlone
    Ardee
    Ballycastle (Mayo)
    Blackrock (Louth)
    Boyle
    Carlingford
    Carlow
    Carna
    Cavan
    Clifden
    Collon
    Cootehill
    Corraun (Mayo)
    Donabate
    Dunleer
    Kilcar
    Kilkenny
    Knockbridge
    Letterkenny
    Mohill
    Monaghan
    Portlaoise
    Sligo
    Stradbally (Laois)
    Tubbercurry
    Virginia (Cavan)
    Mountrath
    Abbeyleix

woodyg wrote:
    i.e. carlow?

The five cities and Dundalk will be launched at the same time as in the press release. Pricing and other info will then be made public.

Mac daddy wrote:
    From Digiweb
    Cork
    Waterford
    Dundalk
    Drogheda
    Navan
    Athlone
    Ardee
    Ballycastle (Mayo)
    Blackrock (Louth)
    Boyle
    Carlingford
    Carlow
    Carna
    Cavan
    Clifden
    Collon
    Cootehill
    Corraun (Mayo)
    Donabate
    Dunleer
    Kilcar
    Kilkenny
    Knockbridge
    Letterkenny
    Mohill
    Monaghan
    Portlaoise
    Sligo
    Stradbally (Laois)
    Tubbercurry
    Virginia (Cavan)
    Mountrath
    Abbeyleix

Correction: The network mentioned in the press release is not the same network. New build, new packages, completely new. The list above is Digiweb's current network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

me wonders if they would be doin a version of IBB ripwave.
    i.e. no contract would go for that as only need it for 3-4 months tops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 wingnut30

I am also with IBB in Clondalkin, and after months of frustration, today I totally lost it on the phone to the customer services dept. As a result I will have a full refund for installation and the dish taken down by an engineer this week. im sorry to say it but the best way of dealing with these guys is to go nuts............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yup I have said it many time, call them two or three times and be reasonable with them.. If this does not work, loose the plot with them completely..

I have had to do it on 3 occassions and it got my problem totally resolved each time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Jaysus, things have gotten fairly bad with IBB since i last checked out their threads. All i can say is Tallaght still seems to be rock solid (thank god). I just wish they'd get their act together regarding the other highsites. You'd expect problems in the first week or two, or with the first couple of masts but not after putting up over a dozen masts and definately NOT after having a mast up for more than a few weeks!

Any one of us could probably offer a more stable solution than IBB seem to be able to offer us. They must have monkeys for network engineers (no offence to any monkeys reading the thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Well, I'm in clondalkin and have been with IBB for about 18months. I've finally gotten my connection sorted and have the speeds advertised!!

No IBB haven't fixed it, I've just had icecomms broadband installed...

Advertisement