Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power Surged LapTop

• 15-08-2005 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me ?
    My mates laptop got surged a few weeks back, he thought all along that when it would not charge that it was the charger that was broken.
    But when he tried my charger nothing was happening.

AFAIK Dell will not repair this as all computer manufacturers recommend that you buy a surge protector.

It has been recommended to me that we replace the motherboard on the laptop because that's what gets fried in a power surge.

any one got any advice for me on how to repair it or where to get the parts.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Providing you have the expertise for fixing laptops you should be ok on that front, the problem is sourcing the parts AFAIK Dell will only sell you upgrade parts, e.g. memory, battery, etc.

I have seen some us sites offer motherboards for older dell laptops, though their prices are around $300+ for just the board

Example site
    http://www.impactcomputers.com/dellparts-dell-laptops.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

Home Insurance?

They should cover the cost of repair or go someways towards a replacment. I got a new modem that way in the old days when it was fryed by lightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

ouch, that's a stinger.......

i personally don't have the know how to fix it but i am hoping one of my mates will - i have yet to confront him about it.

would i be right in saying it will not be covered in the 1 years guarantee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

derv wrote:
    would i be right in saying it will not be covered in the 1 years guarantee

Nope, dell like all other manufacturers say that you should ensure that you use a surge protector at all times as surges are not covered under any warranty.

b@stards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

daywalker wrote:
    Nope, dell like all other manufacturers say that you should ensure that you use a surge protector at all times as surges are not covered under any warranty.

But whos to say that there was not a surge protector ?? same thing happened to me. i had a surge protector but the comp still got surged and was sorted by warranty

sure i might tell him to send it back and chance his arm

would you suggest telling them it was surged or just play dumb and say
    "my laptop is not working"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Play dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

This I don't understand, you pay an arm and a leg for a laptop, dell et all make a fortune, yet they are not arsed putting a 50c fast blow fuse into a 1-3K laptop :mad:

glynf wrote:
    This I don't understand, you pay an arm and a leg for a laptop, dell et all make a fortune, yet they are not arsed putting a 50c fast blow fuse into a 1-3K laptop :mad:

ya i know it's a balls isn't it !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement