Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving a streamed file

Options
  • 15-08-2005 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Anybody know of any software that can save a buffered/streamed file download to disk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

HiDownload does RA.
    ASFRecorder used to do ASF, hard to find maybe.
    mplayer on Linux can be used for RA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

If you're on GNU/Linux, you can use JACK (the Jack Audio Connection Kit). It allows you to share audio between different applications (as well as doing other things, such as providing low latency for audio recording).
    So if you were streaming a file on xmms for example, you could route the output of that into ecasound, while at the same time saving it as an ogg, or mp3 file:
    ecasound -t:300 -i:jack_auto,xmms-jack_00 -o file.ogg
    [I](..replace '300' with the length of the song in seconds)[/I]

I think the mplayer option you would be looking for (..if you can use that) is ` -dumpaudio`
    There are probably simpler ways - you could use a friendly GUI application such as Audacity or Ardour for recording for example - but that's the most efficient I can think of.

HTH

If you use Windows, then sorry - I can't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

So, are you using GNU/Linux delanest? The fact that you've posted this in the open-source forum inclines me to think that you are. Anyway ...

I forgot to mention that to use xmms with JACK, you'll need xmms-jack - a jack audio output plugin for XMMS. In fact, that's a rather obvious problem that I didn't foresee in my last post - a lot of applications don't currently have drivers for JACK. I use libjackasyn to listen to Flash objects on the Mozilla browser. Once libjackasyn is installed, mozilla would be loaded using `jacklaunch mozilla` rather than simpy `mozilla` - after that mozilla can share it's audio with other applications which are compatible with JACK.

Then you could use `jack_lsp` (..at the command line), or QJackCtl (..a friendly GUI front-end for JACK), to find the name of your streaming-audio application (..in the example above: 'xmms-jack_00').

So, if I wanted to use the above command to record streaming audio from a Flash website, rather than xmms output, I would use something like:
    ecasound -t:300 -i:jack_auto,[B]mozilla-bin_0[/B] -o file.ogg
    [I](..again, replace 300 with the number of seconds of audio you want to record)[/I]

I've probably gone over the top now though :rolleyes: - so I'll stop here.

Advertisement