Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

easy mods

• 15-08-2005 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

im an average gamer who knows a bit about modding etc... im looking to make my pc more attractive but i dont know where to start... can u experts please help the noobie modder in his quest to make his pc more atravtice by posting your easy mods

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

How about you post a pic of your pc and we'll tell you what we would do to it.

Questions:
    • What's your budget?
    • How much work are you prepared to do, e.g. cutting, filling, polishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right".

There are no easy mods that will make your PC more attractive, unless you are blind or have terrible taste.
    Take a bit of time, look through the case galleries on tech and modding sites (including this one), see what people are doing and what's possible.

First mod I'd encourage you to try would be spraying your case - either just externally, just internally or both - depending on what your case is like at the moment and whether you want to attempt the following few mods:
    Window mod.
    Cable tidying and/or cooling optimisation (buy a few high quality silent-but-powerful fans, locate with prejudice). Cutting your case to shreds and plonking 150mm fans all over the place will leave you with a piece of noisy shít that looks and probably smells terrible.
    Internal lighting.

Above all, take your time, plan out what you want to do, get a good mental image of what it should look like, what you want it to look like and how it's likely to turn out. you're not going to be able to leap straight into airbrushing custom art on the sidepanel or UV-reactive silent watercooling, but you'll pick-up bits along the way.
    One idea may be to buy a cheap second case, mod the shít out if (on the cheap - you don't need to -and are encouraged not to- buy off-the-shelf parts.) to gain experience and allow yourself to make mistakes. Take your time, train yourself to have patience and go in for the long haul. This will have benefits in other facets of life smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

ok so im after getting my old amd k6 system out of the attic... its in a beige small tower case(sorry for no pics but i cant find my camera). now id just like to know what kind of spraypaint to use and how would i go about cutting out a side window??

found this pic of the case im usin.. its a smaller version though

case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Well, a simple mod (note I didnt say easy) is to spray it, like paek said.
    take everything out of it, take the fronts off all your optical drives and that card reader, floppy, etc. spray them seperately.
    Do the sides/top seperately as well if you can.
    Dont do black. Most new cases are black to start off with.
    Try green or orange. (mine is orange, syxpaks too, IIRC)

While youre at it, do your mouse and keyboard as well.
    Match the colours, or create a colour scheme. ie- red/yellow case, red mouse, yellow keyboard. etc. Use your own jusgement.
    If you're feeling adventurous, do your monitor as well. That is an awesome casemod, even if it's simple and cheap. Very few modders actually colourcode their entire PC. Most modders will have a standard beige/black screen.

You can try cutting yourself a window in the side of your case. But, tbh you will need *some* experience with a dremel or a jigsaw for this.
    **btw: there are no easy mods. Only easy modders.

• Advertisement

what kind of spray paint do i use???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Go down to a hardware store of a car supply shop. Automotive spraypaint would work fine. U will want to get some primer as well. There are tons of guides on how to spray your case on the net - use google, she is your friend :). Will also need sand paper.

y sand paper?

Becuase if u wanna do a proper job u need to sand all the parts before u spray them, u will get a much better finish. I suggest u look for a guide on how to do this, if u wanna make it look nice :D, do it proper :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

• Advertisement

http://guides.pimprig.com/pimprig_p...sics.php?page=1

Nice guide - use google there are 100's more

Was trying to coax him to try google himself :D , but anywho :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Was trying to coax him to try google himself :D , but anywho :).

Coaxing smoaxin - that site is class. Check the rigs that they have in the galleries to get ideas. Thay have some beautiful rigs and i mean time and effort well spent:D

Advertisement