Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balls in my garden

Options
  • 15-08-2005 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    My first post in the golf forum.

I have a bit of an issue with golf balls from an adjoining course landing in my garden.

It is a new house, so obviously the golf club hasn't been concerned with this up to now. I am a bit concerned now that a ball could hit someone if they are in the garden, particularly one of my nieces or nephew.

I don't want to ring the club or send them a letter as that could be construed as being a bit 'pompus' (for want of a better word). I'd rather go in and discuss it face to face, and hopefully amicably.

Does anyone here know if the GC is obliged to do something about this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i know it has become a big issue for clubs as houses are built adjoining them
    they are responsible but it is considered 'annoying' by the club members that someone buys a house right beside a golf course and is then surprised that they get golf balls in their garden.

However from your point of view, you just don't want golf balls in your garden.
    I would say, phone the club and ask who you could speak to about it.
    Prob the club sec, the club will prob have to reroute the hole that affects your house or put nets up, but even then you are always gonna have the odd ball get in the garden...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Did you not anticipate this when you bought a house alongside a golf course?
    This is the same kind of amusing complaint that I have heard of from house owners near an aero club that I'm a member of. People buy a house beside an air strip and then complain that there is noise from planes taking off & landing???

The best think you could probably do would be to plant a few trees that would give cover from the side the balls come in from.
    Any that get through will have the sting taken out of them & won't do anyone any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks for the replies.

We actually rebuilt my wifes grandparents house, which was approx 120 years old, and was there long before any golf course.
    Also, every person in this country is entitled to the peaceful enjoyment of their property. So, I am not asking your opinion on the morals of our situation, I am asking what measures are available to the golf course to prevent this continuing.

Also, there is a hedge along the front of our property, (where the ball come in), and it is about 15/17 feet high. Thene there is the road, and then another row of trees which is over 20 feet high. Neither of these block the balls coming in.

The balls are coming in from sliced tee shots on a par three. I wonder if a 10' high net running along the side of the tee box, and about 10' past it would be enough to catach way-ward tee shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Jaysus, sound's like you're at the mercy of desperate hackers altogether ;)
    A net sounds about the only option alright, it wouldnt cost the earth either.

air wrote:
    Jaysus, sound's like you're at the mercy of desperate hackers altogether ;)

I know :D I have played that hole and I dunno how they do it, and I'm a 28 H-capper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well it is the golf clubs responsability to supply you with aid in purchasing a net that will prevent balls striking your house. The golf balls are considered property of the golf course, and they are coming into your private property. If you get in touch with the clubs secretary they will fix you up nicly, jsut dont demand the hole get redone, cause everyone hates those assholes.

jsut dont demand the hole get redone, cause everyone hates those assholes.

Exactly.
    Thats the thing. After all the GC is my neighbour, and I would like to keep on good terms with them. Thats why I would rather go in and meet face-to-face so they know I dont wanna be a 'demanding asshole' but I also don't want one of the kids to get clocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Its the clubs responsibility to put up a net on their land to block the balls.
    Id say meet them and put your case in a friendly but firm fashion, set a timeframe for action on their part, say 3 months, get this commitment in writing. If they have not made good on this in the timeframe then you will be within your rights to enforce a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Ardee Golf Club had the unfortunate luck for the county council to build a 140 house estate to the left of their first hole.

The club are NOT obliged to put up netting - the responsibility for any damage etc lies with the person who struck the ball. As for the ball belonging to the course, this is not the case. The ball belongs to the person who hit it.

Ardee had several incidents where windows were smashed by people trying to cut the dog leg on the first and irate residents bombarded the club until they agreed to put up a net.

Best bet is to write a nice letter to the Captain of the club. Captains like to do favours for people cos they see themselves as the 'big man' in charge.

Stress Health and Safety issues and perhaps expand the truth a little.

S

Advertisement