Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games To Film

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Best video game film : Resi Evil for that scene where ye man gets chopped up by the laser grid thingie. Which bumped the film in my books from a 1/10 to a 2/10 ;-)

But i remember thouroughly enjoying Final Fantasy as a young lad, mainly because i worshipped the series. Dont know if id have the same experience watching it today... Advent Children should be good. SHOULD.

And the games that COULD make good films : Max Payne, deffo. Kinda like Sin City id say. A good Zelda film is imaginable. But mostly, games dont belong in Hollywood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

At least for Hitman we get to see Vin Diesel with a barcode on his head. That's got to be worth something?
    I was kinda hoping that the Doom film would be more of a horror type than a blast em all action type but my hopes for that were dashed when I saw the trailers. Ah well, maybe Advent Children will make up for them all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

RopeDrink wrote:
    'Hitman' is to be brought to the big screens. Vin Diesel will be playing the Agent.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Game to movies suck balls cos games have frick all plot. Theyre effectively designed for juveniles who are more interested in game mechanics and graphics than plot development. Even Deus Ex had a frankly ridiculous B movie plot. At best you get a cut scene explaining what you have to do, your plonked in a level with a variety of AI moving targets and a maybe a platformer puzzle or two and thats it. No character interaction or development, little in the way of moral undertone other than "Big guns solve all lifes problems!"

Most game plots are basically ripped off from bad movies to begin with. Evil scientists/the man/whoever in a dystoian dark future are up to no good, everythings gone to hell and now a one man army is looking for justice/veangence/blah. The Doom series - One man, a lot of guns and demons from hell doesnt exactly translate into something as significant as Schindlers List. Its going to be one of those generic "elite squad versus numberous baddies, everyone dies except our hero", if youve seen Aliens, John Carpenters Ghosts of Mars or even Resident Evil then youve seen the Doom movie. All that will change is the actors involved.

Even games that might translate into a half decent movie - like GTA for example are ripoffs of various gangster movies. RPGs might actually offer a semi decent plot, like Baldurs Gate, but they dont have the name recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

madrab wrote:
    the rock isnt the main character of doom, which i think we can all agree is a good move (not that i dont enjoy the rocks movies, walking tall was fun)

I think the main character for the DOOM movie is the character who plays Eomer in Lord of the Rings ( Nephew of Theodan ), he is also in the Chronicles of Riddick movie and the Bourne Supremecy. I think his name is Karl Uban

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

they should have used Bruce Campbell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

And there's a Splinter Cell film in the works. Weird actually, the script was bought a couple of days ago, yet there is a teaser trailer on the Chaos Theory dvd!

And brace yourselves for the crapfest that will be Uwe Bolls renditions of Far Cry, Hunter: The Reckoning, Fear Effect, Dungeon Seige and Bloodrayne. Maybe he actually hates computer games, and he's trying to put us off them the only way he can?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They should use Bruce Campbell for everything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

sprinkles wrote:
    He was great in Equilibrium. He's a good actor imo and I loved him in LOTR, although I just loved the character.

still a type cast, boring plank though

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Best video game film : Resi Evil for that scene where ye man gets chopped up by the laser grid thingie. Which bumped the film in my books from a 1/10 to a 2/10 ;-)

And it happened to be a scene ripped off from an earlier, and far superior film, named 'Cube' my utmost favourite. Fair enough, they weren't laser beams, but it was certainly a dicey scene indeed (Excuse the pun)
    Game to movies suck balls cos games have frick all plot. Theyre effectively designed for juveniles who are more interested in game mechanics and graphics than plot development. Even Deus Ex had a frankly ridiculous B movie plot. At best you get a cut scene explaining what you have to do, your plonked in a level with a variety of AI moving targets and a maybe a platformer puzzle or two and thats it. No character interaction or development, little in the way of moral undertone other than "Big guns solve all lifes problems!"
    Even games that might translate into a half decent movie - like GTA for example are ripoffs of various gangster movies

First you rant about how most games & game related movies have absolutely no plot line, then you state that a game like GTA (One of the most fabled for having **** all plot line mainly because it's pointless, seeing as the player is most likely going to simply mow people over for the length of time they play it) is more worthy of a film. Thats laughable. If you honestly think all game plots are the same... Well, I don't know what to say to you.

There are only so many genre's of games out there, and the same can be said about films, so dont bias your opinion against games when film suffers the exact same fate as games. Not all 'movies' are different either, the majority of them contain the exact same elements as those listed in your rant against games.

Games are made for entertainment, just like films, although games allows you to control the action, so why would anyone want to make a game that you just watch when you can take the main character and throw his/her/it's weight around? There are quite a few games out there that manage to do this along with gripping plot lines. You obviously haven't come across any yet.

This is one of the problems with Games to Movies. If you are a fan of the game you can almost be assured that whomever decided to recreate the game into the film will attempt to add their little touches to it, rather than sticking to the plot line of the game. In the first Resident Evil, I loved the whole mansion thing, and none of the characters (bar a bit of related dialogue at the end) had any real idea about the Umbrella Corporation. In the film, however, therein exists a 'Hive' (Not present in the first game) where a bunch of non-game related characters had to go searching through, which also just happened to become swamped by this virus.

Now, what I hated was the fact that they didn't bother with any of the game characters until they racked up cash from the success of the first one. If they had made the first film based properly on the first game, they would have raked in a lot more, and would have probably come up with an overall more entertaining film which would please the fans.

When they did incorporate any of the game characters (ie Res 2) it was in a souped up, money wasted, FX fest that gave no depth to any of the characters and focused of beat down, which tainted my view of the films.

Resident Evil, despite the amount of action it had, was not an Action game, it was a horror, and thats something that the film makers seem to have forgotten, or ignored, in the process of tolling in how much cash they made from the franchise.

This, sadly, in some shape or form, will most likely be the case for most game to movies, mainly because, at the end of the day, games and films are made to make money, not to stay true to the origins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

They should use Bruce Campbell for everything ;)

Bruce cambell for god!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think that they are making the wrong games into films. Games to be made into films are choosen on how popular they are even though they all had ridiculous plots to begin with. However not all games have cliche stories. RPG's usually have excellent stories. However some are quite abstract and wouldn't lend themselves well to the big screen. Most audiences wouldn't get the meaning behind something like Final Fantasy VII and Xenogears. They are also quite long. Something like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Orta would be great for a mini series. Suikoden 2 has an excellent story with plenty of large scale battles and could easily be a successful series as well. There are also a lot of action games that focus on plot as much as action that would make excellent action films. Hideo Kojimas work such as Solid Snake and Metal Gear Solid would be easy to make a film of since they are almost imteractive films. Max Payne would also translate well into a film if some of the cliche story elements were taken out.

I think Hollywood is waiting for the first successful Game to Film adaptation just like it did with the comic book adaptations before it will commit. Before that happens we will have have numerous Paul W.S. 'bad film' Anderson and Uwe Boll abominations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I think that they are making the wrong games into films. Games to be made into films are choosen on how popular they are even though they all had ridiculous plots to begin with. However not all games have cliche stories. RPG's usually have excellent stories. However some are quite abstract and wouldn't lend themselves well to the big screen. Most audiences wouldn't get the meaning behind something like Final Fantasy VII and Xenogears. They are also quite long. Something like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Orta would be great for a mini series. Suikoden 2 has an excellent story with plenty of large scale battles and could easily be a successful series as well. There are also a lot of action games that focus on plot as much as action that would make excellent action films. Hideo Kojimas work such as Solid Snake and Metal Gear Solid would be easy to make a film of since they are almost imteractive films. Max Payne would also translate well into a film if some of the cliche story elements were taken out.

I think Hollywood is waiting for the first successful Game to Film adaptation just like it did with the comic book adaptations before it will commit. Before that happens we will have have numerous Paul W.S. 'bad film' Anderson and Uwe Boll abominations.

Intreresting fact: Uwe Boll has some kind of legal loophole whereby he still gets paid big bucks for making a flop movie. This is actually true. Its explained better in his wiki entry, which is a surprisingly entertaining read, probably the only entertaining thing ever connected with him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I read that as well. He has a book published on how to exploit it, something like 'How to make a movie in Germany'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I was actually just thinking that!

Whats he doing writing Egyptian on the **** house wall?

Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Deadwing wrote:
    Intreresting fact: Uwe Boll has some kind of legal loophole whereby he still gets paid big bucks for making a flop movie. This is actually true. Its explained better in his wiki entry, which is a surprisingly entertaining read, probably the only entertaining thing ever connected with him.
    :eek: If that's the case he must be a multi-billionare by now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I reckon Manic Miner, hell you already have 2 sequels, Jet Set Willy and Jet Set Willy 2, you could make it an adult feature with Ron Jeremy as Miner Willy, or should that be Minor Willy, Ha Ha.

Mums right, I really should go out more!

Wouldn't mind seeing Eternal Darkness from the GC being made into a movie, that was pretty good, with a decent Lovecraft style plot.

Advertisement