Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question - i just got pulled for undertaking

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

Whats your point mackerski.

If a retard is doing 40mph in the RH lane, and your doing 60mph in the left, are you really going to slow down so as not to undertake him? Thats ridiculous to any sane person. :rolleyes:

Ever hear of common sense, your little driving book also tells you, when in doubt enfore common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

squibs wrote:
    Is it legal to undertake if you're driving a hearse?
    Brilliant:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

boardsee wrote:
    Whats your point mackerski.

If a retard is doing 40mph in the RH lane, and your doing 60mph in the left, are you really going to slow down so as not to undertake him? Thats ridiculous to any sane person. :rolleyes:

Ever hear of common sense, your little driving book also tells you, when in doubt enfore common sense

I don't have a little driving book. Several people on this post have made outrageous and pretty forthright claims to the effect that left-overtaking is OK in many circumstances in which it is utterly and totally illegal. It scares me that people could be on the road ignorant of this basic rule. It would scare me a lot less for them to know the law and selectively apply it, though it looks to me like a lot of you simply ignore this rule completely, and that is dangerous. Why? Because one of the purposes of having some traffic rules that are arbitrary (like driving on the left rather than the right, say), is that it allows all drivers to assume certain things while on the road. In a world where drivers follow the left-overtaking rule, for instance, the risk of clipping a car overtaking in your blind spot while you pull back into the main lane is reduced.

Oblivious is no state in which to be in control of a motor vehicle.

Dermot

So please enlighten us as to how you would deal with this situation.
    If a retard is doing 40mph in the RH lane, and your doing 60mph in the left, are you really going to slow down so as not to undertake him? Thats ridiculous to any sane person.

Everyone is aware of that rule, but its not practical in certain situations. In fact it could be extremely dangerous (to slow down from 70 to 40mph whilst travelling along in the left lane) to the drivers behind you, just so as not to overtake the lad sitting in the RH lane at 40mph.

Btw, are you a real politically correct sort of person?

boardsee wrote:
    So please enlighten us as to how you would deal with this situation.

I would indicate to the nutter that I wished to pass. I would be really slow (though have done so occasionally) to pass on the inside, simply because I wouldn't trust that kind of driver not to veer into me while I did it. A crash is bad enough, but in this case I'd have put myself in the wrong.
    boardsee wrote:
    Everyone is aware of that rule, but its not practical in certain situations. In fact it could be extremely dangerous (to slow down from 70 to 40mph whilst travelling along in the left lane) to the drivers behind you, just so as not to overtake the lad sitting in the RH lane at 40mph.

Reread the posts and you'll see that not everyone is aware of it, and many that are are 100% ignorant of any of the details that would ever allow them to apply it. As to a sudden slowdown being dangerous, I quite agree. More advisable to ease off as you approach the guy, yes?

Dermot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Mackerski - By your reckoning you could end up in a situation like this:

car car
    car
    car
    car
    car
    car
    car
    car
    car
    car
    car
    car
    car
    car
    car
    car

In this situation, the driver in the right hand lane is being a muppet and all the drivers on the left are obeying the no undertaking rule. If a Garda patrol came across this situation, what do you think he would do?

LFCFan wrote:
    In this situation, the driver in the right hand lane is being a muppet and all the drivers on the left are obeying the no undertaking rule. If a Garda patrol came across this situation, what do you think he would do?

One driver driving illegally and a large number legally? Golly, tough one...

Dermot

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

But the driver in the right lane isn't driving illegally. He's just being a muppet. And all the drivers in the left lane are, by the letter of the law, driving legally too but this is a rediculous situation. As far as I'm concerned, undertaking should mean, going from the right lane to pass and back to the right lane afterwards. Just driving within the speed limit on the left lane and passing cars on the right should be perfectly ok.

Failure to keep left is an offence. The laws are already drafted for how many penalty points it will attract once the scheme is extended.

Dermot

Ahh, penalty points your mother.
    Would ya ever get a life :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Chief--- wrote:
    Why offer advice when it is complete rubbish..

He does not have to caution you under any section of the RTA and does not have to inform you of his intention to prosecute, used to be the way but is not law anymore.

He will probably wait to see if your licence and insurance are in order and if they are that will be the end of it. Did you undertake on the hard shoulder or across hatched markings? If not you should be ok as its allowed to undertake traffic in the overtaking lane if they are travelling slower than traffic in the inside lane.

FFS! Boy am I glad I checked this thread again. It seems if I am wrong about the compulsory caution that I'm not the only one.
    Then... after calling my advice rubbish you go on educate us on what the Garda will probably do and how the OP should be OK so long as he was driving within your guidelines :rolleyes:

What exactly do you moderate anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

528i wrote:
    you must speak with a local councillor who can influence these things.
    I think you're vastly over-estimating the power/influence of local councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

milltown wrote:
    FFS! Boy am I glad I checked this thread again. It seems if I am wrong about the compulsory caution that I'm not the only one.
    Then... after calling my advice rubbish you go on educate us on what the Garda will probably do and how the OP should be OK so long as he was driving within your guidelines :rolleyes:
    Or perhaps because none of us are that Garda, all you can give are probablys and maybes. He could still receive a prosecution for dangerous driving.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

milltown wrote:

Sorry maybe rubbish was a little harsh.... Lets call your advice "incorrect". Only time will tell and as Seamus said its up to the individual Garda how he proceeds. I was only offering a possible outcome of what might happen.
    milltown wrote:
    What exactly do you moderate anyway?

I thought that would have been obvious, it says it below my name on the left :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

LFCFan wrote:
    But the driver in the right lane isn't driving illegally. He's just being a muppet.

He's being a muppet alright. But he is driving illegally. Someone asked what a Garda would do in this situation. Well, if he was a German cop he'd give the muppet a ticket. A cop in Florida would give the guy a ticket. A cop in Ireland would sit behind him, flash the blues and maybe whoop the siren. When the muppet pulled over, the Garda would put the boot down and carry on. (Unfortunately).

A little bit of enforcement would cut down on this stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Chief--- wrote:
    I thought that would have been obvious, it says it below my name on the left :confused:

D'oh! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

boardsee wrote:
    If a retard is doing 40mph in the RH lane, and your doing 60mph in the left, are you really going to slow down so as not to undertake him?

If I got pulled over for undertaking someone in this situation -- I would be furious! You simply could not drive on the M50 without breaking this rule.

What about buses on the bus lane? Can they legally undertake? Because if they can't -- what's the point in a bus lane?

The "rules of the road" book needs serious updating. It is entirely over simplistic and does not describe the road conditions that one meets these days in modern Ireland. Are there any plans to update it?

tigerbalm wrote:
    What about buses on the bus lane? Can they legally undertake? Because if they can't -- what's the point in a bus lane?
    Busses should not undertake in the bus lane unless the traffic in the driving lane is slow/queued, same as everyone else. When the bus lane is not in operation, you are legally obliged to enter it, as it becomes the leftmost, i.e. driving lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

seamus wrote:
    When the bus lane is not in operation, you are legally obliged to enter it, as it becomes the leftmost, i.e. driving lane.

Geezz, I never looked at bus lanes like that :)

I just stay out of them because the "hours-of-operation" sign is just too small to see very often. An in the case of the Navan Road sometimes the hours are different for different sections of the road. -- I just prefer to stay out of them.

I didn't ever realise that I was breaking the law!

tigerbalm wrote:
    Geezz, I never looked at bus lanes like that :)

I just stay out of them because the "hours-of-operation" sign is just too small to see very often. An in the case of the Navan Road sometimes the hours are different for different sections of the road. -- I just prefer to stay out of them.

I didn't ever realise that I was breaking the law!
    Well, that's a valid concern/excuse. You could cause an accident trying to read the tiny text on those signs! It's another thing that a) Needs to be updated in the ROTR and b) can be poorly implemented by unqualified county councillors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Redneck_Rebel

So I was driving along following a car in a 30 doing 40 and I didn't even see the cop til the other car got a wave on, I was then pulled and given the talk. I took my fine to the barracks and paid the fine. (What really p1ssed me off was the fact that he let the other fella go, I was only following him at the same speed :mad: )

My Q:
    When do I actually phically get the endorcement on my licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Just to add something: A direct quote from page 32 of the Rules of the Road book.. my test is monday ;p

"OVERTAKE ON THE RIGHT ONLY, unless traffic is moving is queues and the traffic queue on the right is moving more slowly than you are"

Also when the car on the right has indicated that is is turning right.
    When you intend to turn left and have indicated to do so..

it does not state how many cars = a queue ;p

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When do I actually phically get the endorcement on my licence?
    Whenever the DoE notify you of the points - not until then! The gardai notify the DoE (usually within a few weeks) and it can take the DoE a long time (reports suggest up to two years) to apply them to your licence.
    Incidentally, points are not an endorsement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Redneck_Rebel

I can't wait. It'll probly arrive on my birthday to rub some more salt in my wounds. Wouldn't you thing they would get a proper job, or treat everyone the same. They just saw three lads in there 20's. Easy targets, ah I'm only cross over the other fella getting off with it. Have a good week end im off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What happens if the guy on the right is doing 10 mph? Seriously - are you supposed to follow him at that pace on the inside lane?

Nope, you're supposed to pull in behind him and signal your intent to overtake him (signal right, brief flash of your lights), at which point he should move over. Though people rarely do. Like the taxi I had tonight doing 65mph in the overtaking lane of the M50, who could see me, but refused to get out of my way, despite the vehicle in the left-hand lane ahead getting away from him :rolleyes:

Advertisement