Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime recommendation for August from Pingoo :)

Options
  • 15-08-2005 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hello all,

Oki here is what you have to watch this month: BLEACH!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have started to watch it 2 weeks ago and it is excellent, unlike Naruto which becomes really boring :)

Bleach is the story of an unusual 15 years old kid, Ichigo Kurozaki, who can see ghost and will become a substitute Shinigami (Death God). I'm not saying more not to spoil anything.

I started to watch it thinkign that it was like any other Shounen, fight, talk, fight, talk ... but after episodes 16 the all subject of the serie is moving forward and we see a new aspect of it. Excellent in other word. Renji being one of the coolest character ever, you have to watch it! :D ...

Bleach isn't licensed yet in Europe nor in the States (except for TV rights there). [Lunar] is making the best fansub so far (do not under any circumstances try Hell-fansub!), episodes 44 was released last week.

Anime will normally last for 51 episodes (like FMA) but not sure yet, considering the success that it has it could last longer. Available on PS2 and PSP as well and Ichigo available as a playable character in Jump Superstars on DS.

On a different note I would recommend School Rumble coz it's really funny, really similar to the Love Hina style but better in my opinion (less cheesy). [Wannabee] is dealing with Eng translation. 22 episodes so far out of 26.

Enjoy ;)
    Pingoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Afaik it's 51 episodes and then a movie to conclude it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pingoo

Makaveli wrote:
    Afaik it's 51 episodes and then a movie to conclude it.
    Not sure about the movie Makaveli, I think they are in fact refering to the Jump episodes, Memories of the Rain, it's in fact an existing episode with better drawing of some parts and different bits and pieces are and there. Also really interesting because there is a nice intro to the 13 Okama at the end ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I enoyed Bleach when it started, seemed like a nice different take on the outwardly-normal-guy-who-gets-fantastic-powers story, but as it progresses it just becomes another repetetive sequence of fights against much stronger enemies where the main character just "levels up" or whatever to defeat them.

Worth watching up to 26 or thereabouts.... I gave it a chance to episode 33 or so, but got bored. A real shame too because it's one of the few shows I've started watching as soon as it started airing and continued with.

CuLT wrote:
    I enoyed Bleach when it started, seemed like a nice different take on the outwardly-normal-guy-who-gets-fantastic-powers story, but as it progresses it just becomes another repetetive sequence of fights against much stronger enemies where the main character just "levels up" or whatever to defeat them.

Worth watching up to 26 or thereabouts.... I gave it a chance to episode 33 or so, but got bored. A real shame too because it's one of the few shows I've started watching as soon as it started airing and continued with.

Well like all Shounen ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

pingoo wrote:
    Well like all Shounen ;)
    If that's your cup of tea!

I guess I'm at my "limit" (haw haw) for shounen. Well, at least I haven't developed a taste for shounen-ai... or yaoi for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

pingoo wrote:
    Not sure about the movie Makaveli, I think they are in fact refering to the Jump episodes, Memories of the Rain, it's in fact an existing episode with better drawing of some parts and different bits and pieces are and there. Also really interesting because there is a nice intro to the 13 Okama at the end ;)

I spotted on one of the bleach sites that there is a place holder link for a movie. There is no information on the full running length of the Bleach TV series. Likely, for the kind of story it is they haven't fixed a date, but likely the current arc is going to resolve around the 51 epsisode mark (guessing). They certainly have a pile more manga to go through, so the *only* reason that they will stop at 51 is because its not doing as well as expected in Japan.

sharingan wrote:
    I spotted on one of the bleach sites that there is a place holder link for a movie. There is no information on the full running length of the Bleach TV series. Likely, for the kind of story it is they haven't fixed a date, but likely the current arc is going to resolve around the 51 epsisode mark (guessing). They certainly have a pile more manga to go through, so the *only* reason that they will stop at 51 is because its not doing as well as expected in Japan.
    Not really true, FMA did extremely well in Japan but they had decided to stop at episode 51 ... same goes for Bleach ...

pingoo wrote:
    Not really true, FMA did extremely well in Japan but they had decided to stop at episode 51 ... same goes for Bleach ...

Wasn't talking about FMA, but FMA was scheduled to run for 51 episodes. Bleach isn't scheduled to run for any number of episodes, but in true convention, story arc conclusions and series finale's tend to be planned at ep 26 ish and higher order multiples.

ep 51/52 I would say should conclude out the rescue arc, but the seeds of a larger/more involved plot have already been sown. Open ended series like Bleach/Naruto/Inuyasha etc. which are animating a long manga series typically run until the ratings drop which could be before or after they catch up with the manga.

sharingan wrote:
    Wasn't talking about FMA, but FMA was scheduled to run for 51 episodes. Bleach isn't scheduled to run for any number of episodes, but in true convention, story arc conclusions and series finale's tend to be planned at ep 26 ish and higher order multiples.

ep 51/52 I would say should conclude out the rescue arc, but the seeds of a larger/more involved plot have already been sown. Open ended series like Bleach/Naruto/Inuyasha etc. which are animating a long manga series typically run until the ratings drop which could be before or after they catch up with the manga.

That's true as well ... To add up a little bit to the mystery, Bleach is a little like FMA: FMA was planned for 51 episodes and the main reason is that at around episode 20/25 I think the story goes somewhere completely different to the manga because it actually passed where the manga was left in terms of release so they had to stop at episode 51 or around because it would be useless to continue any further and have an anime and a manga continuing at the same time with 2 completely different story. Bleach is kinda the same as I think the anime is at around the same as the manga or even passed on the manga release (especially that we know that all episodes are probably already made because in the 13 Okama intrduction you can see all characters fighting in positions that we haven't seen yet so it means that the story goes further to the manga release ... so again no point in continuing except in OAVs. Unlike Naruto and others series like One Piece where the serie is filled with fillers in order to wait for the manga release ...

Well it's only my opinion anyway, I am not making a statement here you know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 psychooys

Bleach is alrite, but nothing to special. the early episodes have some interesting stuff to them, but it really has turned into a series of big fights. I havn't lost interest, but its nothing special anymore. Rather watch Basalisk, which is one of the most unique (romeo and julietish) series i have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 espmind101

psychooys wrote:
    Bleach is alrite, but nothing to special. the early episodes have some interesting stuff to them, but it really has turned into a series of big fights. I havn't lost interest, but its nothing special anymore. Rather watch Basalisk, which is one of the most unique (romeo and julietish) series i have seen.

Basilisk is definatly worth while to watch, i love that anima, check it out if you guys can. right now it seems you can only get it though bit torrenting fan subs.

pingoo wrote:
    That's true as well ... To add up a little bit to the mystery, Bleach is a little like FMA: FMA was planned for 51 episodes and the main reason is that at around episode 20/25 I think the story goes somewhere completely different to the manga because it actually passed where the manga was left in terms of release so they had to stop at episode 51 or around because it would be useless to continue any further and have an anime and a manga continuing at the same time with 2 completely different story.

Yeah but FMA was done by BONES, who in general take a lot of liberties with their source material and are quite used to upstaging it completely. They make conclusive stories, designed to end, rather than directly using manga as storyboards until told to stop by their producer.
    Bleach is kinda the same as I think the anime is at around the same as the manga or even passed on the manga release

Last I checked there was over 170 chapters of bleach available (18 tankobun). Its an unusual pace to burn through 4 chapters per episode (1.5 is typical).

In general, series are planned in advance, and the number of episodes is not flexible. These series adapt their manga in a certain way, but are written to conclusively end when their 13/26/52 episodes are up. Series that prove to be popular often get a second season, as is the case with Mai Hime & Rozen Maiden.

When popular long-running manga are being animated, like Naruto, Inu Yasha, and Bleach they typically do not set a precise end date, but usually throw the climaxes in every 25/26 episodes. These series are pretty turn key - they never deviate from their source material much, manga go in one end, and anime episodes come out the other.

They don't spontaneously decide that FMA is really popular, lets make more. And the long runnign stuff will only end when the interest wanes, and these anime series often end in an unsatisfactory way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

To go off topic a little, but is Naruto still going? Did AonE just stop subbing it?
    Seems their last release was Ep 144 (I'm only on ep 109 atm).

Advertisement