Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN blocking Broadband..... I think?

Options
  • 15-08-2005 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    My knowledge of the following subject is very limited, So any help would be great,

In work I have a PC running XP I have an external adsl modem connected to a 2mb Eircom line and I have Internet access that works very well. The problem is that this PC is also a Cash Till and I have to run a program that connects to another shop via the 2mb line, To create the connection I have to dial a connection (a VPN I think?)over the 2mb line, as soon as the connection is made I cant access the intenet...... Is there a way around this? Im currently disconnecting the "VPN" connection so I can access the Internet, but obviously this is very annoying and is slow to reconnect when I have to use the till.

Anyone have any Ideas?

S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Hello,
    My knowledge of the following subject is very limited, So any help would be great,

In work I have a PC running XP I have an external adsl modem connected to a 2mb Eircom line and I have Internet access that works very well. The problem is that this PC is also a Cash Till and I have to run a program that connects to another shop via the 2mb line, To create the connection I have to dial a connection (a VPN I think?)over the 2mb line, as soon as the connection is made I cant access the intenet...... Is there a way around this? Im currently disconnecting the "VPN" connection so I can access the Internet, but obviously this is very annoying and is slow to reconnect when I have to use the till.

Anyone have any Ideas?

S.

If your starting a VPN client, a tunnel is created and all your traffic goes through the VPN tunnel. So your internet goes very very slow or not at all.

You should be able to find a check box in your client to allow local access which will allow access to the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

what vpn client is it as you can normally specify that only traffic destined for a subnet is sent across the vpn and all other traffic i.e. Internet traffic is sent out as normal without the need for disconnecting.

The big Q: What VPN client are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I got it sorted, The VPN was set up using network conection wizard in windows (I told you my knowledge is limited) and there was just a tick box in the settings that forced all traffic through the VPN, I just unticked it and im online....... thanks....

Sean.

Advertisement