Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forum Charter. Read or risk being banned (Updated 05/10/2010)

• 15-08-2005 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

RULES
    BE WARNED
    There will be Zero Tolerance for [wiki]muppets[/wiki]

TL;DR - Main rule of forum

1. The forum is for the discussion of the islamic religon only. All topics off this should be in their respective forums (eg. Humanities/Politics/Languages). You are allowed questions which may be deemed off topic but only in relation to the religon.

Let me make something absolutly clear in this forum. It is for the open discussion of the religon for those who are following it or for those who may have honest questions about it. IT IS NOT FOR YOU TO VENT, OR FOR MUSLIMS TO HAVE TO DEFEND THIER FAITH FROM ATTACK.

1a. A "3 strikes and you're out" system will be implemented. If a user receives two previous bannings, the third ban will be permanent.

2. Posting an off topic thread will have your thread moved to the respective forum. Numerous posts offtopic will lead in temp ban from forum (you will be warned beforehand). Do not post asking people to read a post on another forum.

3. The following is NOT ALLOWED. You will be temp banned with a possible outright permanent ban posting any of these subjects.
    • Proselytising (i.e. attempting to convert someone to a particular religion or sect of a religion). This applies to Islam and other religions, as well as any of the sects within Islam.
    • Garbage (eg. muslim = suicide bomber, telling people they are brainwashed).
    • Any offensive posts.
    • Attacks on other posters (always attack the post, not the poster)
    • Attacks or belittling any religon.
    • Fanaticism. This applies to all sides.
    • Unsoliticed Private Messages to members to bypass a rule.
    • Linking off to a blog/webpage to bypass a rule (eg. Insulting another boards poster).

4. You are free to ask questions, however if you make accusations you will be expected to back them up with facts especially if you are asked to (even if it is later proven to show those facts are flawed then that is acceptable). Refusing to back up your accusations will result in a warning then a ban.

5. Posts in Arabic should be translated for the English readers in the forum. You shouldn't post requests for translations here unless they relate to the Islamic religon. You can do those sort of requests in the language forum or PM a forum regular here. Refusing to translate will result in your post being deleted. Posting anything in Arabic which breaks the rules will also result in a ban (you will be reported).

6. This forum is not your news posting ground. If you post an article you are expected to comment on it or the thread will be locked and binned. The exception is the resources thread which is a sticky.

6a. Verbatim postings are not allowed (ie. cut and paste). You must link to the original source and use a quote or two (as fair use allows). If you are the author of the original article you should still follow this rule and do not post the full article here.

7. Rollcall thread is for posting your personal details if you so wish. It is not for commenting or offtopic discussion. Asking a question about something that someone posted is allowed but if it turns into a full discussion it will be moved to a seperate thread or you will be told to take it to private messages.

8. If you have a number of questions and you expect a lot of answers then you are suggested to break them out into seperate posts. This helps keep threads from quickly going off topic or loosing context.

9. Please check the FAQ sticky thread to see if you question has been asked already. Please see the FAQ sticky thread on how to nominate a thread.

10. Unless a poster has been confirmed beforehand all posts are peoples personal opinions based on knowledge they may supply. They are in no way an official spokesperson or an official response and should never be taken as such. Sites may be exempt from this rule based on what is in the resources thread.

11. Do not use Arabic in the thread titles. It doesn't always render properly and causes issues for other users. If you do your thread will be binned and you will be informed to recreate the thread.

12. Your signature use within the forum must also follow within the rules. Changing your signature to express something that breaks the forum rules will result in a ban straight off. Changing your signature to something offensive for this forum after being banned will result in a permanent ban and reported to SIGPO (posts may also be binned).

13. The rules are set by the moderators but accepts the will of the forum members if rules are to be amended/added/removed (within reason). If you have any issues on the rules of this forum they should be posted in this thread only or the feedback forum (or helpdesk if you feel it needs to be personal).

14. Do NOT attack other posters. If you disagree with that poster's opinion, do so in an orderly and well mannered fashion.

15. You may report any posts you feel are worth reporting using the report post button. Don't just a report a post because they disagreed with you. A post should be reported if it breaks the forum charter in any way, attacks another poster etc. You may not receive an acknowledgement of the reported post.

16. Do not discuss moderation issues in a thread. If you have an issue with a moderation action then please use the boards.ie dispute process.
    Quoting the Qur'an
    You are expected to quote in context. If you do not know the context you should say so and ask someone to explain the interpretation as you see it. You cannot quote out of context as a basis to formulate your argument.

Also to quote r3boot..
    give the names of the surahs rather than numbers since most muslims learn surahs by names and if you are quoting from the prophet then you need to mention who gave the quote.

As english versions are open to interpretation there will be a list of sites recommended for checking up quotes/contexts here.
    University of California:
    Islamway (has ebook version).

NOTE:
    I should point out I am only moderating this forum in regards to keeping muppets out. I am not a muslim nor have I any wish to be (agnostic). I am just a moderator. Do not think for a moment that I am taking sides. - Hobbes

The date in the topic will be updated if the charter is updated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Hobbes wrote:
    This forum is not for trying to get converts.
    I think it should be made clear that this goes in both directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The charter looks pretty good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Good stuff hobbes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Hobbes.

Looking at one or two of the threads already, looks like it is badly needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tonyinuae

I wish other forums stuck to the rule of not attacking the poster, it sure is a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

very thorough charter Hobbes!

DeV.

If you are starting a thread with a bilingual title could you please make the English the second rather than the first version. The vBulletin software doesn't cope brilliantly with switching from right-to-left back to left-to-right when the thread has more than one page and links to those pages appear in the title and the links "(1, 2)" or whatever get a bit muddled.

Yes, vBulletin should just handle this better, but it doesn't and until it does this will stop things getting muddled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Which works but problem with that is it makes it harder to read. Because its right to left and english is left to right you have to start reading in the middle.

Prehaps English (Arabic) might be a better solution.

Athough the numbers switching won't do anything to boards (that I can see).

Okay, Arabic followed by English messes up other bits of boards. Really Arabic in titles doesn't work too well with the software whatever you do :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I don't mean to tell people what to do but as i have noticed from other forums it might be better to have a single post stickyed and locked so that the likes of me and other can't post on it. I find a single post of the rules and charter much better and would be easier for everyone amend anything that needs to be done like this
    Originally Posted by Hobbes
    This forum is not for trying to get converts.

Originally Posted by Talliesin
    I think it should be made clear that this goes in both directions.

A single clear cut locked rules and charter sticky stands out better and to me always looks more authoritve when you see people correcting mistakes it don't give too much of a zero-tolerance affect to it. I have already made a non-brainer from mis-interpreting a sentence here rules that stand out would give the desired affect. Even though i was against the islam forum from its inception it has surprised me in the amount of traffic which is far more than other boards forums. Anyways best of luck

• Advertisement

A single clear cut locked rules and charter sticky stands out better and to me always looks more authoritve when you see people correcting mistakes it don't give too much of a zero-tolerance affect to it

Talliesin is a smod (higher level then me). So I respect his opinion and probably has more power to change the charter then me.

However I would prefer that that majority of the posters define the rules. That is to say they can't change them to how they please but if they displeased with a particular rule or want to add a rule it can be done.

Also you came late to the forum, the charter has changed a lot since that post you quoted.

netwhizkid wrote:
    I don't mean to tell people what to do but as i have noticed from other forums it might be better to have a single post stickyed and locked so that the likes of me and other can't post on it. I find a single post of the rules and charter much better and would be easier for everyone amend anything that needs to be done like this
    Quite a few charters were threads like this while being tweaked and then cleaned up afterwards.

I'm thinking rule 5 should also apply to english text which is arabic when read. We have people coming from an non-Arabic/non-Muslim background which won't understand comments, add to that some are a bit xenophobic to begin with (or whatever phobic it is).

Because too many people keep asking regarding bans (eg. Why was Wibbs Banned) I will be putting the warn/ban list up top as well when they are due back.

It is ban/warns only. Other issues will be handled in the moderator forum as per usual.

If anyone has any issue with this please let me know.

Thought I'd mention to look for some feedback.

The forum is for discussion of Islam however I think the posters need to understand that the forum is not solely for people of the Muslim faith.

Granted we have the likes of Wibbs, Medina, etc who provoke discussion but I have found (though no intention of the posters) not very helpful for non-muslims.

Let me explain before I get flamed. :)

There was a thread where a response given was about 5-6 paragraphs of the Quran. To a non-muslim this makes no sense. In what I mean is that the chances of someone reading all that text if they are not Muslim is near 0% and those who are Muslim would know these verses off by heart.

So rather then quoting whole portions of the Quran, a better system would be to quote some and then actually explain the interpretation of it.

(From UI-Web training) Most peoples brains don't process more then a couple of lines of text blocks. Anything over 4 lines causes people to switch off.

Another example is this thread. There is no explanation. It would make sense to a Muslim straight away but to someone who isn't it just a load of boring numbers appearing on screen.

To summarize: Know that your audience is not just Muslims in the forum and partly the reason for the forum being created is for non-muslims to understand a bit better. Even a good thought out post explaining something is more liable to catch a casual reader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Hobbes wrote:
    The forum is for discussion of Islam however I think the posters need to understand that the forum is not solely for people of the Muslim faith.
    Most definitely!!
    Hobbes wrote:
    those who are Muslim would know these verses off by heart
    Not necessarily although I guess all Muslims would at least hope to.
    Hobbes wrote:
    (From UI-Web training) Most peoples brains don't process more then a couple of lines of text blocks. Anything over 4 lines causes people to switch off.
    Must try and cut down my posts a bit :) It's just that I worry that I won't get the message across if I don't write enough. Think I'm gonna try and make more effort in the future to keep'em short and sweet :)

You don't need to cut down the posts, just keep paragraphs within 3-4 lines and most people will read the lot.

I see :) I'll try to remember that :)

Please take note of new policy (1a). Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Jannah

Hobbes wrote: »
    Let me make something absolutly clear in this forum. It is for the open discussion of the religon for those who are following it or for those who may have honest questions about it. IT IS NOT FOR YOU TO VENT, OR FOR MUSLIMS TO HAVE TO DEFEND THIER FAITH FROM ATTACK.

3. The following is NOT ALLOWED. You will be temp banned with a possible outright permanent ban posting any of these subjects.
    • Converts. This applies to all sides.
    • Garbage (eg. muslim = suicide bomber, telling people they are brainwashed).
    • Any offensive posts.
    • Attacks on other posters (always attack the post, not the poster)
    • Attacks or belittling any religon.
    • Fanaticism. This applies to all sides.
    • Unsoliticed Private Messages to members to bypass a rule.
    • Linking off to a blog/webpage to bypass a rule (eg. Insulting another boards poster).
    4. You are free to ask questions, however if you make accusations you will be expected to back them up with facts especially if you are asked to (even if it is later proven to show those facts are flawed then that is acceptable). Refusing to back up your accusations will result in a warning then a ban.

It appears book smarts has violated every single one of these rules- mods may consider actually doing something as it's getting fairly tiring

• Advertisement

Jannah wrote: »
    It appears book smarts has violated every single one of these rules- mods may consider actually doing something as it's getting fairly tiring

USE THE REPORT POST FEATURE.

Where is it?? All I can do is reply, thank or quote people :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Little red triangle over on the left

<

beneath
    Adverts | Friends

Ooooooohhhhh! Thank yer BuffyBot! God knows we need it on this thread... :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Charter updated, see rule 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭T "real deal" J

There is an over-emphasis on banning people to the point of hypersensitivity. Unfortunately this takes away from the scope for in depth discussion in which people can learn more about islam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

There is an over-emphasis on banning people to the point of hypersensitivity. Unfortunately this takes away from the scope for in depth discussion in which people can learn more about islam.

The moderation is heavy for a reason

There is a difference between someone looking for a discussion and someone who has come in here to stir, one is allowed the other is not

There is plenty of scope for reasoned and in-depth discussion provided that is carried out in a civil and no confrontational manner

This forum does not exist for Muslims to have too defend their faith, it is for people who want to discuss their faith and for people who want to learn

If people want to ask questions and learn they will be welcomed, if people ask questions which are thinly veiled digs or accusations then they will not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

fair play for mod'ing it and not having any real vested interest! (i.e. not being muslim)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

mangaroosh wrote: »
    fair play for mod'ing it and not having any real vested interest! (i.e. not being muslim)

The Recliner has now retired as a moderator on the Islam forum, and I have taken over from him as a non-Muslim moderator. Irishconvert is a Muslim moderator.

We are very happy to see genuine open-minded discussion of issues relating to Islam as a religion, which we interpret widely. Slagging off Islam is not acceptable, but criticism that is genuinely seeking insight is acceptable. My own view as a moderator is that controversial topics are good so long as they don't get bogged down in unproductive exchanges.

So stay polite, keep on topic, avoid back-seat moderation, and we'll all learn something about Islam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

hivizman wrote: »
    The Recliner has now retired as a moderator on the Islam forum, and I have taken over from him as a non-Muslim moderator. Irishconvert is a Muslim moderator.

We are very happy to see genuine open-minded discussion of issues relating to Islam as a religion, which we interpret widely. Slagging off Islam is not acceptable, but criticism that is genuinely seeking insight is acceptable. My own view as a moderator is that controversial topics are good so long as they don't get bogged down in unproductive exchanges.

So stay polite, keep on topic, avoid back-seat moderation, and we'll all learn something about Islam.

kudos, in fairness, I don't think I could do it!

will do my best to stick to the rules. Personally I don't have any interest in slagging off Islam, am genuinely interested in finding out more about it.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

*tolerance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Palmach

*tolerance

Not much tolerance on this forum merely a long list of rules enforced so Muslims don't get all upset. Your forum so do as you want but don't pretend there is robust debate and give and take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Palmach banned

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement